• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can you feel it coming?

wife

wife

Founding Member
My depression often just hits me

BOOM

that's me, depressed

I am prone to "mood swings" but I sometimes wonder if my depression is so enduring that actually feeling "normal" feels like I'm high (does that make sense to anyone other than me?)

I would like to be able to do something about it before the real low periods set in but I can never sense them coming, it's a case of fine, fine, fine, depressed

och well

Jay

M

Michael

Founding Member
Sounds familiar

I sooooooo wish I did not understand what you are on about, I relate to everything you say, if you find a cure PLEASE PLEASE let me know

Best Wishes
Michael

My depression often just hits me

BOOM

that's me, depressed

I am prone to "mood swings" but I sometimes wonder if my depression is so enduring that actually feeling "normal" feels like I'm high (does that make sense to anyone other than me?)

I would like to be able to do something about it before the real low periods set in but I can never sense them coming, it's a case of fine, fine, fine, depressed

och well

Jay

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I have got so used to feeling low/numb/alone etc that if a good thing jumped up and smacked me in the face i often wonder if i'd know .

Can anyone else relate to this ?

Megannie

Megannie

Founding Member
If I have a day feeling good, I'm worried about it because from my experience one good day is followed by many more bad ones. :cry:

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
any of you guys had a really good intorduction to CBT? I find the principles work for me the bit I kinda have as a mantra is that "to feel good, you have to do stuff to make you feel good" (By that I don't me indulge in the nearest box of choccies) The first feel good feelings are like a low energy light bulb - hardly visible - but over time, slowly they can get better.

If you can't be bothered with that and this time of year bugs you totally reccommend oneof those light therapy ligght thingys - abit pricey and probably not very environmentally friendly but hey I'll plant a tree to compensate - they are great and let you feel in control of your feelings rather than the weather/day length

M

Mad Hatter

Founding Member
I can relate to all thats been mentioned on here. Mine comes on without warning like someone flicking a switch and goes the same way although it sure is hanging around these days.

U

Underthecloud

Founding Member
Everything on here is totally where I am at, too. The real bugger about it is that there is NO REASON for it......

Megannie

Megannie

Founding Member
I must admit I am more able now to use CBT than I was when I was in the thick of it all. I think that's because I'm stable now on meds and lived with the illness for a long time and I'm stronger.

Despite that I can still be zapped without warning.:scared:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
ralph1

I have beleived for a very long time that it is essential to have a dream. A song once stated" if you dont have a dream, how you gonna make a dream come true' I once said this to the lead clinician where I used to live, and her reply was 'yes, and it has to be more than wanting to feel normal'

What are all your dreams?:clap:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
ralph1

CBT is just one of many Psychotherapies, But is certainly not the only one. Yes it can be like having a mantra in your head. The reason the Govt push it so much is that it can be cheap as it can be administered by nurses, so no expensive training is needed. For myself I was put through 'schema focus' and it worked a treat. It would probably be worth your while having a dig around to find out what other therapies are available to you.

If your problems are rooted in the past, and you can't get past them, then 'schema focus' could be for you as you have to talk about it, then face up to whether your coping strategies have worked for you or against you(mine was the latter). I also had a time of testing to see if I had a form of social autism. This took 2 or 3 weeks. The total therapy took over 13 weeks.

:grouphug: :tea:

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
hmmm cbt .. i was given a 10 session course and after the ten sessions was basically told "ok , that hasnt worked then , you'll have to try something else " .. not "perhaps a few more sessions would be beneficial " or " ok lets refer you to this other thing " ...

i did ask for some more help .. the latest having been an appointment at local nhs mental health centre where i was seen by a duty social worker who literally told me that as i was on meds and had undergone several different types of "therapy", that was all they could do ... oh yeah ... and "find your inner strength".!!!:mad:

I did then burst into tears and say thats what i was trying to do ..

but hey ho ... i've come to expect nothing less

i have recently purchased the book "cognitive behavioural therapy for dummies " not read it yet (i'mm still on russel brands booky wook :D

L

Lyra

Founding Member
I can relate to everything everone has said - my depression comes on very suddenly too.
We have the same problem here as you sandybob. Treatment is limited and if you don't get better in your alloted time, thats it , they are not interested.
I have twice been very suicidal and even then they were not interested - you're just told to phone the Samaratins and thats all the help you get.
I'd love to try some proper CBT for all my problems but I don't think it'll ever happen.
Lyra

hmmm cbt .. i was given a 10 session course and after the ten sessions was basically told "ok , that hasnt worked then , you'll have to try something else " .. not "perhaps a few more sessions would be beneficial " or " ok lets refer you to this other thing " ...

i did ask for some more help .. the latest having been an appointment at local nhs mental health centre where i was seen by a duty social worker who literally told me that as i was on meds and had undergone several different types of "therapy", that was all they could do ... oh yeah ... and "find your inner strength".!!!:mad:

I did then burst into tears and say thats what i was trying to do ..

but hey ho ... i've come to expect nothing less

i have recently purchased the book "cognitive behavioural therapy for dummies " not read it yet (i'mm still on russel brands booky wook :D

mischief

mischief

Admin
I'd love to try some proper CBT for all my problems but I don't think it'll ever happen.
Lyra
The chances are increasing that it will happen. The Government is investing £170 million into talking based therapies.

connect

connect

Admin
A friend of mine was raving about a book called "Mind over Mood", which helped her a lot... it's a depression and anxiety workbook which I think uses mostly CBT-based techniques (not 100% sure though, as I haven't read it myself)... I'll ask mischief if it can be added to the Book Store :)

Isobel

Isobel

Founding Member
Hi Ralph,
You said a few posts up that you had testing to see if you had some kind of social autism. Please could you tell a it more about this. The reason I ask is that my stepson (A) was diagnosed as autistic a couple of years ago and my husband & I are pretty sure that he has Aspergers. His psychologist resisted this idea for ages saying that he is socially phobic. We're now waiting to see if he'll get funding for a proper assessment which is dodgy because of his age. He's always been put down as having an anxiety disorder till the last admission which was put down as a depressive psychosis. I've always thought that his anxiety came about because of the huge difficulties that Aspergers gave him.
Thank you for anything you can say
Isobel