Can you ever really stop???

C

Chelonian

Hi, I'm hoping to find a glimmer of hope within the darkness.

Ive been a self harmer for the best park of 15 years, but I haven't done it for almost a year now. And the time before then there was also a big gap when I didn't do it. Both times I thought I had gotten over it, clearly I was wrong.

Now, one small sentence someone said the other day has really trigger me and its all I can literally think about.
The pull towards it is so strong and I work in a place where I can easily access the things I needs to do it.

It's driving me crazy that one small sentence has pushed me back so far. And what's more, I can feel myself starting to miss the comfort it gave me. The more I think about the more I remember the comfort. But I don't want to think about it because the temptation is driving me insane.

W

wheezey

Hello and welcome to the forum. I do believe it is possible to stop harming. I am so sorry somebody has triggered you. Is it possible to see a counsellor and discuss what you are going through? It may help release your feelings in a different way.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

:welcome: to the forum mate. A counsellor might be a good idea. Also can't you talk to the person who triggered you. Sorry you self harmed before. :hug: But congratulation on not doing it for 15 years! :clap:

alohomora

alohomora

I know exactly the feeling of being triggered by something that's objectively meaningless. Any small, innocent phrase and here I am questionning my whole life and hurting myself for it. I don't have any advice, but I do understand you, and I'll be here to listen anytime. :)

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi, I'm hoping to find a glimmer of hope within the darkness.

Ive been a self harmer for the best park of 15 years, but I haven't done it for almost a year now. And the time before then there was also a big gap when I didn't do it. Both times I thought I had gotten over it, clearly I was wrong.

Now, one small sentence someone said the other day has really trigger me and its all I can literally think about.
The pull towards it is so strong and I work in a place where I can easily access the things I needs to do it.

It's driving me crazy that one small sentence has pushed me back so far. And what's more, I can feel myself starting to miss the comfort it gave me. The more I think about the more I remember the comfort. But I don't want to think about it because the temptation is driving me insane.
Hi,
Well done for not self-harming for a year, I believe that people can stop.
Have you had any therapy?
Here to listen anytime.
Take care

C

Chelonian

Hi, thanks for reading the post. I didn't think anyone would. I would really like to see a Councillor, but I can't afford to go private and my working hours prevent me from going to the mental health charity which has offered me counselling. If I go to the sessions, I'd get pay deducted and then wouldn't be able to pay my mortgage. My house is my safe haven. I cannot lose it. I'm stuck. I really appreciate people giving the time from their problems to offer advice.