• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can you be depressed without knowing it?

P

PaigeTWoods

Hi guys,

So doctor put me back on anti depressants. But I don’t feel like I’m depressed.

I am depleted of energy and struggle to do anything I used to. All the joy is gone out of my life because of this. But I don’t feel like I’m depressed, I feel physically ill.

This is going on 3 years. I really don’t know what’s wrong with me and Idont think they do either that’s why they are putting it down to depression.

Any similar Experiences? Can you have depression without knowing it? (More predominant physical symptoms?)

S

SadRainbow

Former member
Have you had depression in the past?

P

PaigeTWoods

I was told by doctors that I had but I never agreed. I always felt it was physical

A

Aurelius

The simple answer is yes. Our systems get depressed at different levels, it is not just a mental thing - which is why children's depression has been overlooked/not recognised for so long. It is also the reason that diagnosis is based on the presence of a number/cluster of symptoms that have been present for a significant period of time. For a diagnosis the symptoms must impair your daily functioning and/or cause you some distress. I think from what you have written that they clearly do?

4 of these symptoms are mentioned in your post "I am depleted of energy and struggle to do anything I used to. All the joy is gone out of my life because of this. But I don’t feel like I’m depressed, I feel physically ill."

You also mention that these have been present for a considerable time?

Wishbone

Wishbone

The WHO divides depression up into mild, moderate and severe, so you could be mildy depressed, but I'm with you, I think you surely should be able to know when you're depressed or not and if it's that mild that you don't then are you really? It just seems like a desperate attempt to pin a label to you and get meds inside you doesn't it.

A

Aurelius

Following up on Wishbone's post, depression does not equal meds. There should be a clear reason and purpose for prescribing meds and the types of meds prescribed. Maybe you need to follow this up further with your doctor.

There are also a range of other interventions and therapies (with a good scientific evidence base) that can be used to address signs/symptoms of depression/depressed functioning at different levels. You might ask your doctor if he/she is willing to explore/consider these with you.

A

Aurelius

If you are in the UK the current recommended guidance for diagnosing depression are based on DSM-5 (American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5th Edition). I have attached a copy of the most recently updated guidance (March 2001) as you might find this useful/informative.

Attachments

• Diagnosis _ Diagnosis _ Depression _ CKS _ NICE.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 0