• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Can two people with mental illnesses make it together?

B

bluemist

I like this boy, but he’s got depression and maybe other things. He hasn’t told me yet. Of course I haven’t told him anything really, either. I was just wondering, can two people who are having a really hard time really get together? Does one partner need a stronger person to lean on? Will we both collapse under the weight of our illnesses if we’re together?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
They used to say in highcroft that 2 mentally ill people shouldn't have a relationship because you tend to lean on each other

on the other hand such is the rejection from so called normal people, i find i have to rely on the mentally ill community for most of my friendships and relationships

My "girlfriend who's also a service user" to quote the shrink is in hospital. she came off meds and became violent sometimes towards me, it's been extremely stressful though i remember those times in bed and cuddles, i'm looking after her cat, as the shrink also said i'm ambivalent about the relatioship, thats me in 2 minds about practically everything

Me and my girlfriend have severe illness, i don't know about depression, can be mild or severe

MadEmma

MadEmma

go for it

I have bpd and bi polar and met my hubby who has ocd and turrets 5 yr ago. We were both in a dark place with our heads at the time and found each other easy to relate to and understand that we both needed support and also wanted to get together, best thing i ever did. We are now married and I have had set of twins with him. We support each other through the lows and recognise each others mood swings or traits from our illnesses. Being ill yourself u are more accepting of mental illnesses and a lot more understanding, i have found it hard sometimes when I am going through i hate you stage and my hubby is at the end of his teather cos i am pushing him too far but we work things out.
I found honesty about your feelings and thoughts are very important to gain trust of each other an not get that paranoidness which comes sometimes with mental health.
Good luck with your relationship, try it and see how it goes, you might find you last like me n hubby and you could be passing up on the chance of being with someone very special.

emma x

B

bluemist

Thanks, that really helps.

dib4uk

dib4uk

It all depends on the individuals in question.... it can work really well - especially with the depending on another person for when the times are going really bad.

Good luck to you both!

greebobeebo

greebobeebo

My sister has Bi polar and her husband has severe depression. They have been together for somewhere round 10 years. They have their ups and downs but because they both have a good mental health team they manage.

On the other hand I have clinical depression and so does my stbxh, we are in the process of divorcing because his depression nearly destroyed me.

Yes!!!! I am doing it right now. 20 year relationsion that Im hopeing will never end. We both are too f--ked up to work. So we stay home all day and never tire of each other.

D

DELATEXT

My partner and I are both ill and sometimes it is difficult, but with love and understanding it does work !!
I say good luck and give it a go ???

E

EeyoreGirlUk

Yes I believe they can.

My partner and myself have mentall illness. We both her voices for a start and we can understand each other 100%. We help support each other and we always take one another out of the horrible dark moods that appear. I love him to bits and tbh i wouldnt be here if it wasnt for him. X

Wendy

Wendy

Yes it can work but I think it depends on you your personalities
I was with someone for 3 years we both have pychosis and really helped one another
unfortunately things went wrong he became angry and aggressive it was ugly
we split
at the mo he is Ill and an inpatient I'm still trying to b there for him ps having BPD didn't help made me vunerable
goodluck whatever u do x

D

DELATEXT

You have to keep looking it is not easy by any means but with luck ??