• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

    We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can they do this???



New member
Oct 9, 2008
Hi, I'm new to the site!
I have recently been diagnosed after years of torment with myself and no-one listening to me thank god for my new doctor to whom i will be eternally grateful!
I have had a real major period of unrest and have been unable to go to work and have submitted a doctors note amd a covering letter to them although I have not had the courage to actually pick up the phone and speak to anyone as I am too embarrassed to.
Problem is they now want to take me to a disciplinary hearing as they claim I have not contacted them to advise of my unauthorised absence and this is just making me worse. The problem being is that after 12 years me and my partner have split up so as you can imagine I have had my worst episode over the last few weeks and jus can't seem to get out of it my new drugs don't seem to be helping me at all I am just swinging hour to hour from fine to rock bottom again and this is really doing me down I jus can't find it in me to pick up the phone and speak to them, and they say that if I do not attend then they will make a decision regarding my future employment with the company in my absence surely as I have a sick note from my doctor they can not do anything???


Well-known member
Founding Member
Feb 14, 2008
Birmingham UK
Hi scorpio - very to hear about your problems.

First off congratulations on finding a good doctor - as you will soon find out on this site that is something of an achievement :) and is massively important.

Any medication you have been prescribed will take a little time to work (and sometimes it does not work - there are a vast range of medications around and it often takes time to find the right one for you, in addition to which some people are medication resistant - but there are also a whole range of non-medication based treatments).

OK on to your question. It would be daft for anyone to try and answer this without knowing the exact circumstances. What you need to do is to get some personal advice and support. There are a number of ways to do this and I will suggest 3 possibilities (all of which you could pursue)...

1.) a Union if you are in one.

2.) The Citizens Advice Bureau.

3.) A PALS service (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) - both your local PCT and your local MHT ought to run one.

In addition if you are in big city there should be other Advice services around who could help out.

I know that trying to cope with all this on top of your illness is a real problem so it can be helpful if you have a friend/partner/relation to let them make some enquiries.

Let us know how you get on and keep coming back here :).