• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can there be success with medication?

B

Borderline

I'm curious if anyone here has gone from feeling really horrible and hopeless to actually feeling good. Perhaps I just need the assurance.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I have had several attempts with medication over a ten year batle with Depression. Medication does seem to be working for me at the moment but this has been combined with structured therepy and reguarly pscyh visits. I am fairly optamistic at the moment but feel a little better equipped to deal with things if the depression was to worsen again. I think!

emski

emski

It is possible, but it takes time, patience and of course the right medication. Furthermore it is not the be all and end all. Support is instrumental in recovery, be it in the form of therapy, psych consulations, visits to the doctor, help from friends and family and of course you need to be good to yourself and give yourself a break

A

Apotheosis

I'm curious if anyone here has gone from feeling really horrible and hopeless to actually feeling good. Perhaps I just need the assurance.
My honest opinion is that in a minority of cases, medication is about the best course of action. For the majority of people; I don't see it helps, people are still ill, & if anything medication often appears to make them worse. To effectively help the mentally ill there should be comprehensive thorough psychological help & services - there isn't.

I take medication, I was forced to take it. Had proper support, advice & assistance been given in the first place, then, I believe that the likelihood is that I wouldn't be dependant on a med. As is it is I have a dependence to a powerful psychoactive substance.

Most people appear happy to take meds. I have always struggled with it. It should be peoples free choice; whether to take meds or not - so often it isn't. I hope one day to get med free.

As Emski has said - Recovery & healing involves so much more than just meds. A chemical solution is a contradictory statement. However - in certain circumstances a balance can be found & meds can sometimes help with function. It is subjective I think.

Last edited:
emski

emski

However - in certain circumstances a balance can be found & meds can sometimes help with function. It is subjective I think.
Apo is right. It is about finding the right balance - like so many other things in life, and definitely subjective insofar as the balance is different for every individual. Some people need more or less meds, others find therapy useful, if accessible, others find it only makes things worse to go over old ground. You have to try a few different things and find what works for you.

But it is possible to feel better, as long as you keep trying and don't give up hope

:hug: