• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can the progression of schizophrenia be slowed down or delayed with treatment/medication? I need treatment right now. I also have anhedonia.

S

Schizo12345

As of today I am in the final stage of schizophrenia, and I experiencing the negative symptoms - like anhedonia and lack of motivation. But the thing is... I am not completely anhedonic, meaning I still feel pleasure and emotion. You don't become anhedonic overnight; in my particular situation, it is a gradual process. It's been several years since I first noticed I was becoming more and more anhedonic, my ability to feel pleasure and emotion was gradually declining over the years. At some point I realized I was enjoying music less and less.

When you listen to a song or watch a music video that you enjoy, for example, you feel something - that happy feeling, "stimulation", aroused, or excitement, however you describe it. I did things I enjoyed, like watching music videos on the internet, several days a week, and I realized that the satisfaction or stimulation I got from watching the music videos, and other things I enjoyed, was steadily decreasing, week by week. I guess I could say it happened in real time because I was observing or watching as it happened. That "stimulation" a healthy person would feel from doing an activity they enjoyed, was disappearing, in my case. It's been a handful of years, and I still am not completely anhedonic, as in I still feel a sense of pleasure, just not nearly as much as I used to.

Currently on a scale of 1 to 100, just to describe my experience, I have lost at least 50 percent of my sense of pleasure, if I compare how much pleasure I'm able to feel right now, to how much pleasure I was able to feel several years ago - before I started experiencing negative symptoms. I've had schizophrenia since adolescence, but I always could feel pleasure during my schizophrenia then, pleasure to the maximum degree. Then the years went by, and during my middle 20's the anhedonia initiated.

Right now, I can still enjoy music to some degree. Other activities like socializing, browsing the internet, consuming food and drink, I still enjoy, even though I am in the process of losing my sense of pleasure.

So, what I would like to know is: Can the progression of my anhedonia be 'deliberately slowed down' somehow? Can I fight it with medication or a supplement like vitamins? Like Omega 3's?

Or am I simply doomed? I'm willing to try anything that is sensible or practical, as soon as possible.

M

Misssad1111

did anything induce your anhedonia and schizophrenia?

S

Schizo12345

I was awkward as a child, and at some point during my adolescent years I liked to stay inside my room and go on the computer. Looking back, I think I had schizophrenia since I was 16 years old, stopped going to school on a regular basis, dropped out, then got my GED later. My dad noticed I was "crazy" when I was 16 years old, I wont go into detail but I did weird stuff.

My anhedonia started during my mid 20's. Something did happen that was very traumatic, and at that point afterwards the anhedonia just set off. Something switched. First my emotions were somewhat numb from the incident, however my emotions returned to normal within two months. Beginning within those two months, and at that point onward, I realized I was becoming more anhedonic. I would measure my sense of pleasure on a regular basis through listening to music, music videos, computer games - I thought these were good candidates for testing because you could measure how much emotion you felt listening to a music video for example at that current day, then measure it again sometime later. A week later. Week after that. I recorded how much pleasure I felt from watching the music video through memory alone on that day, then compared it to how much pleasure I felt from watching the exact same music video, on another day afterwards - like the next day, the day after that, and so on, a week after that. According to the results I could spot a clear loss in sense of pleasure between two points in time, measured from doing the same exact activity. Every week, two weeks, a month just be certain, my sense of pleasure always got worse, never once did it improve during all those months and years. So I ruled out the possibility that my anhedonia was temporary. Something was going on, my sense of pleasure was: degenerating.

I am certain I have lost over 50 percent of my sense of pleasure, compared to how much a normal person would be able to feel.

I could really use a solution right now, something that could slow down the progression of my anhedonia.

J

Jazzrara

If you do find something that helps this, can you please post back. I made a similar post about having a lack of interest in anything anymore. I also became a bit frustrated with the Mental Health services, who insisted I must be interested in something when I'm not. I find I spend my day flicking through a few online news papers reading the same headlines and doing little more. I keep saying to myself that I will watch a film, but when I do I get no pleasure from it, it just becomes background noise to me.

This has being going on for a number of months with me, but it has got better at times, so I hope it can for you. Has your GP suggested anything to you?

S

Schizo12345

If you do find something that helps this, can you please post back. I made a similar post about having a lack of interest in anything anymore. I also became a bit frustrated with the Mental Health services, who insisted I must be interested in something when I'm not. I find I spend my day flicking through a few online news papers reading the same headlines and doing little more. I keep saying to myself that I will watch a film, but when I do I get no pleasure from it, it just becomes background noise to me.

This has being going on for a number of months with me, but it has got better at times, so I hope it can for you. Has your GP suggested anything to you?
Was your anhedonia gradual, or did it happen within a very short timeframe? Overnight maybe?

Did you take an anti-psychotic like invega sustenna? Risperidone? There's like a 1000 page thread at bluelight.org where many people have expressed that they became anhedonic from taking it. The good news is that it's temporary, and you'll recover once the drug is removed from your system.

J

Jazzrara

I take Olanzapine and Mirtazapine. I saw on some discharge notes that I have a working diagnosis of Schizoaffective/depressive type and some other things were mentioned. This has happened before this anhedonia because that is what I have seen written in some of my notes. It hasn't normally lasted this long before, though. From what I remember, I believe it happened over a course of weeks for me to lose interest in things bit by bit. Now I just can't seem to get back the interest or pleasure in things like I used to do, but I just hope it lifts.

S

Stormycat

As of today I am in the final stage of schizophrenia, and I experiencing the negative symptoms - like anhedonia and lack of motivation. But the thing is... I am not completely anhedonic, meaning I still feel pleasure and emotion. You don't become anhedonic overnight; in my particular situation, it is a gradual process. It's been several years since I first noticed I was becoming more and more anhedonic, my ability to feel pleasure and emotion was gradually declining over the years. At some point I realized I was enjoying music less and less.

When you listen to a song or watch a music video that you enjoy, for example, you feel something - that happy feeling, "stimulation", aroused, or excitement, however you describe it. I did things I enjoyed, like watching music videos on the internet, several days a week, and I realized that the satisfaction or stimulation I got from watching the music videos, and other things I enjoyed, was steadily decreasing, week by week. I guess I could say it happened in real time because I was observing or watching as it happened. That "stimulation" a healthy person would feel from doing an activity they enjoyed, was disappearing, in my case. It's been a handful of years, and I still am not completely anhedonic, as in I still feel a sense of pleasure, just not nearly as much as I used to.

Currently on a scale of 1 to 100, just to describe my experience, I have lost at least 50 percent of my sense of pleasure, if I compare how much pleasure I'm able to feel right now, to how much pleasure I was able to feel several years ago - before I started experiencing negative symptoms. I've had schizophrenia since adolescence, but I always could feel pleasure during my schizophrenia then, pleasure to the maximum degree. Then the years went by, and during my middle 20's the anhedonia initiated.

Right now, I can still enjoy music to some degree. Other activities like socializing, browsing the internet, consuming food and drink, I still enjoy, even though I am in the process of losing my sense of pleasure.

So, what I would like to know is: Can the progression of my anhedonia be 'deliberately slowed down' somehow? Can I fight it with medication or a supplement like vitamins? Like Omega 3's?

Or am I simply doomed? I'm willing to try anything that is sensible or practical, as soon as possible.
Thanks for sharing. I just wonder why you said that you are in the final stage of schizophrenia. What’s the criteria? Because I’m in this illness for like a year now and I’ve seriously noticed that I’m experiencing anedonia, lost interest in things I used to like such as music and workout, feel really sad-:)

S

Schizo12345

Thanks for sharing. I just wonder why you said that you are in the final stage of schizophrenia. What’s the criteria? Because I’m in this illness for like a year now and I’ve seriously noticed that I’m experiencing anedonia, lost interest in things I used to like such as music and workout, feel really sad-:)
Just heard there are three stages and it appears that im in the third and last stage.

S

Stormycat

Just heard there are three stages and it appears that im in the third and last stage.
Oh you remind me, I think I saw it’s mentioned that the residue is the final stage. Have you talked to your psychiatrist about anhedonia? I wonder whether lowering antipsychotic dosage would get back our interests/enjoyment.