can"t let go

S

sobersbetter

I'm new to this forum and site , I'm having a real hard time not obsessing when the rain water under the stairs in the basement comes in get this overwhelming feeling in my chest that I pray the rain will stop , anyway I obsess over this ALL THE TIME and I can't let it go I realistically know my basement won't flood but trying to explain this to my wife is a task in and of itself is there anything I can do to not get so anxious and fearful, at this point i'm willing to do just about anything to be rid of this frustration , I guess ill stay close to this site and the people on here, thank you for time in reading this.

Skynet

Skynet

There are meds for anxiety but first, we need to decide whether you're right to be anxious about this. How often does it rain this heavily in your area? You do need an emergency evacuation plan in case the basement does flood; maybe once you establish one, you will automatically stop obsessing about this. Maybe you should talk to an architect or the fire department about the worst that could possibly happen in the case of a flood.

S

sobersbetter

Skynet ~ my basement does NOT flood its under the stairs that puddles and I become anxious and obsess its going to flood I vacuum it up and things are fine until the next downpour , its stressful because of what I think will happen , anyway i'm looking for some help in how to put it in the perspective that It won't come into the basement...thank you in advance for your help.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
Something like CBT might help as it would provide coping strategies.
Take care

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4