• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can someone who was born with depression, drink alcohol at all?

K

Kayaker

Former member
So, alcohol is a depressant drug and sadly, most people say with common sense and not real knowledge and logic, that drinking alcohol can CAUSE depression, or make an existing depression worse. What I wanted to know, and if you please, provide some facts and not your opinion, if alcohol can actually make depression symptoms worse and depressive patients should avoid any drop of alcohol in their lives if they want to work toward being better.

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
A drop is ok
it eases my aches of depression
A little numbing like a benzo

Too much will stop meds working so yes is bad

K

Keesha

Alcohol as a depressant

Here’s a few links to look through.

T

turnitoffandonagain_again

I thought that when they say alcohol is a depressant, it means that it depresses your central nervous system, which I don't think is synonymous with depressing your emotional state. I think, as I understand it, it's a different sense of the word "depress". It depresses your inhibitions and messes with your ability to think clearly.

Mainly I don't drink because I already feel so physically ill all the time that I didn't see any point in adding a whole other layer of feeling groggy, dizzy or out-of-it on top of how crap I feel to start with. It's the negative physical effects of it that put me off.

K

Keesha

I thought that when they say alcohol is a depressant, it means that it depresses your central nervous system, which I don't think is synonymous with depressing your emotional state. I think, as I understand it, it's a different sense of the word "depress". It depresses your inhibitions and messes with your ability to think clearly.

Mainly I don't drink because I already feel so physically ill all the time that I didn't see any point in adding a whole other layer of feeling groggy, dizzy or out-of-it on top of how crap I feel to start with. It's the negative physical effects of it that put me off.

Drinking profoundly alters an individual’s mood, behavior, and neuropsychological functioning. For many people, alcohol consumption is a means of relaxation; however, the effects of alcohol and hangovers can actually induce anxiety and increase stress. Alcohol is classified as a Central Nervous System depressant, meaning that it slows down brain functioning and neural activity. Alcohol does this by enhancing the effects of the neurotransmitter GABA.

T

TreatmentResistant

I drink occasionally, but only because it helps me feel something. I feel good for an hour or two, then I feel awful the next day. Still, those are things I can feel.

I'm not currently on any antidepressants however, never found any that work. If you are, I would not suggest drinking at all.