• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Can someone tell me whats wrong please? Imaginary arguments and conversations

A

antalp

Can someone tell me whats wrong please? Imaginary arguments and conversations

Hi, I am new to this forum, and looking for a bit of advice

I have not been to a Doctor about this and dont want to either. I have always suffered depression but something new is happening or I have only just noticed it.

Basically I keep having imaginary discussions and arguments. Whenever I think that I must speak to a friend or colleague or anyone I sink straight into the conversation as if they are there. I do not here any voices except myself talking and "feel" their presence. I then get lost in these conversations and only realise I was having one after. I seem to go into a trance or daze and lose track of reality. An example is if I need to go to the Doctor for instance, as soon as the thought occurs I am almost in the room with the doctor explaining my problems and predicting responses and arguments. Not only doctors but any situation, if I am about to call or speak to a friend / landlord / bank etc.

It especially surfaces if I am angry at someone and also follows themes of annoyances. Eg my job or religion.

If anyone has had similar experiences or could identify what is going on I would be grateful for your input.

Many thanks

B

Buddha

Power of Thought

Hello,

Look at it this way.

In your dream, you have a thought. The thought could be about a person, situation or something that you are doing. Very often in your dream - as soon as you have a thought, you find yourself with that person; in that situation, or doing whatever the thought was. The thought in dreams – generates a whole experience – visual, auditory and kinaesthetic. This is why the dream appears so real. – Until we wake up.

In our dreams, thoughts instantly become reality. Or it seems so – as long as we are dreaming, we believe the dream to be real. It does not occur to us that we were dreaming until we wake up.

This example shows you a fundamental property, (The Power) of thought. And that can be stated as following:

Thought become things; or our thoughts create our ‘reality’.

You are not the only one experiencing your thoughts becoming ‘real’ – in your imagination while you are awake. All of us experience this at one time or another, to one or another extent.
When watching a good movie or reading a good book, people sometimes jump or experience feelings that the characters in the movie or book are having. It shows that we are identified with those characters at that time.

Temporarily we leave our ‘real’ realities and enter into the reality of the book or movie. We do it all the time.

So, what is happening with you is this:

You are indulging in your thoughts. And you know first hand when you indulge in them, you experience them completely. As if they were real. You experience the whole scenarios, visual and auditory and feelings and all…

This can also be called ‘day dreaming’ or ‘reverie’ or ‘imagination’ or ‘an alternate state of consciousnesses. If you have seen any hypnotherapist or similar practitioner – the same principle is at work. Various ‘drugs’ create similar experiences.

In my view, there is nothing wrong or right about it all. It depends how the experience affects you. If it is troublesome and is causing problems then it is problematic. If it is pleasant and creating good things for you, then obviously it is not problematic.

Hypnosis and NLP can help you understand this whole phenomenon and make some positive use of it for yourself and others.

Check:
http://www.nlpacademy.co.uk
http://www.braintrainacademy.co.uk

Meditation can help you understand and ‘deal’ with thoughts and mind at the most fundamental level.
Check:

http://www.adyashanti.org.
http://www.mro.org/zmm/training/

All the best.

A

antalp

Hi

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I am currently looking into MCBT which seems to blend meditation and awareness with a treatment for depression. However I am struggling to get into the frame of mind even to start.

What worries me is the uncontrolled nature of my thought wonderings that is quite disturbing to me. My partner comes into the room and asks who am I talking too when no one else is in the room with me. I am not actually talking but mumbling/mouthing / gesticulating. I am wondering if it is anything more serious...

S

suki1066

hi there
i do this alot generally when im upset or stressed, i seem to take what ever i am struggeling with then create a situation which generally goes to the furthest extream. i have evaluated it that its my mind being stressed and worried and my "day dream " generally takes the sitiation to the worst conclusion. i generally have a cry and then "pull myself together" so to say. i too talk to myself etc. and have been caught out too, i look at it in this way, its just my mind having a blip, so what if i talk to myself occasionally, does it matter really?
you are aware it isnt real, so therefor it isnt hallusinations, in my opinion dont worry about it just be aware of it... kind of the subcontias working overtime, sorry about my spelling lol,
just another little quirk that makes us all so interesting lol xx

A

antalp

Hi

Thanks for the reply. You are very right, the fact that I know it is not real indicates it is not serious. It is however more than occasional, it is virtually every thought is in the form of a conversation and I do not seem to be able to control it at all. I am only aware after I snap out of it. But importantly as you said I know it is not a real conversation.

Thanks

R

raspedoits

I know exactly what youre talking about....all too well!

I too experience these intense arguments with people that are not there! Some of these people exist, both friends & enemies. Some do not exist at all. They are just purely made up but nevertheless they piss me off. & I dont choose to have these arguments nor do I plan them. They just come upon me. I have been wronged in the past alot, been taken advantage of, etc so in these arguments, I always win haha!! Its very empowering to say the least & these arguments will never ever happen....ever! These made up arguments are a result of past hurts. Things we shouldve said, things we couldve said & sometimes they are a result of expecting the worst from future conversations or meet ups you know you will have, therefore resulting in your peace being robbed. I think people like you & I have an ego! We wanna have the last say, we wanna say cocky things, we wanna piss off the other person, we wanna be arrogant but 1st, they have to say or do something to piss us off & pull that arrogance out of us so that it will be justified what we will do & say. The funny thing is, for me personally, since Ive been duped & wronged in the past so many times, I have enough common sense to avoid putting myself near such evil & stupid illogical people & situations. I have more wisdom now. So why am I planning to argue with my enemies (& friends)?? Its because I love pissing people off....evil people! Not wonderful & awesome people; I have a great sense of justice. But its this great sense of justice that I have & the fact that people are so stupid & dumb in nature is why I have these arguments, but like I said earlier, I dont plan on having these arguments ever, nevertheless I get off on them so to speak. They make me feel better & empowered....I always win!! Sometimes I imagine myself in a room full of these liberal pricks & they are all attacking me for every little percieved thing. These imaginary folks constantly get on my case for every little stupid thing they think I do, so I go to my imaginary car, grab my imaginary gun & I blow them all away...a totally justifiable act for the imaginary evil that was done upon me. Its a result of depression & loneliness & being the black sheep all my life. But you wanna know the real truth...its spiritual! Those are mind attacks from the enemy to rob you of your peace! We wrestle not against flesh & blood the Bible says. We wrestle against evil demonic spirits. Munch on that! But you know what I did?? I forgave all my enemies!! All of them! Teachers, principals, managers, supervisors, cops, people that have used me & stolen from me...everyone & unfortunately, some of these evil people rear their ugly heads back into my life in the form of me saying or doing what I shouldve said or done when the time was right....talk about lost opportunity lol! There is a real God out there who will forgive you of your sins & there is also a real God out there who will hear you out when you name out all the people who have wronged you in the past as you name each & every one of them as you give them to the Lord saying "Lord I forgive so & so, Lord I forgive so & so". You probably have to forgive just 10 people or you probably have to forgive 10,000 people who did you wrong. Nevertheless do it!! Its for your own benefit & good! There is a real God. Unfortunately there is also a real devil who loves to remind people of their past to rob them of their peace & joy. When he does that, remind him of his future...he hates that! Peace! Be blessed always!

D

davisbeasley

Whoever you are man that is not imaginary, that shit is real and it is a thing that goes along with Bipolar. I have bipolar and I am super smart and I do that all the time. I joined this forum just so I could reply to you, I do it all the time, I have serious arguments to the point that I am out of breath, and upset when I finally realize I am doing it. It starts out with thinking about an argument you might have later. Then you start to think about what you expect them to say, then 10 minutes later you are freaking out, and they are not even there! I argue with my dad this way. You are not wrong, it does happen, I want to know how to handle this too. I have been on lithium (constipation) and welbutrin (suicide watch) and this argument thing still happens no matter what. I thought it was my personality until i read this. So fucked up I know but it has to be real because I have it too.