• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Can someone influence you on having a phobia?

kingkylie

kingkylie

When I was a kid my best friend told me that she has a frog phobia. I never had any phobia until I was in junior high school where I found a frog photo in my science book and I got scared of it too. Fast forward to today, 12 years later, I am scared of frog still and couldnt even look or even hear the sound of it (even if it's just a phone ring tone) - it would make my heart beats really fast and I would be really scared. My friend still has that phobia too until today.

So is my case even possible? I mean, do I have a phobia or is it just a made up thing in my head?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I often wonder the same, if I hadn't watched the A-team in the 80's and heard BA Baracus being afraid of planes would I never have developed my fear of flying?

I believe that's why we use trigger warnings on some of our forum posts, because some thoughts can be contagious.

kingkylie

kingkylie

I often wonder the same, if I hadn't watched the A-team in the 80's and heard BA Baracus being afraid of planes would I never have developed my fear of flying?

I believe that's why we use trigger warnings on some of our forum posts, because some thoughts can be contagious.
Oh right! Thank you for the info btw will definitely do that. But yes, so maybe it is contagious right?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
We learn what's scary and what isn't when we're young, When I was young I also watched Indiana Jones movies so I may have picked up an aversion to snakes as well, my mates son has four snakes that I like to watch when they're in their enclosures but when he gets them out I keep my distance lol.

He also has a Tarantula that I want nothing to do with and a scorpion that I'm not fond of either.

He also has two tree frogs but I like them, someone who visits him is terrified of the frogs and won't go near them so it's not all that rare to be afraid of harmless creatures like frogs.

kingkylie

kingkylie

We learn what's scary and what isn't when we're young, When I was young I also watched Indiana Jones movies so I may have picked up an aversion to snakes as well, my mates son has four snakes that I like to watch when they're in their enclosures but when he gets them out I keep my distance lol.

He also has a Tarantula that I want nothing to do with and a scorpion that I'm not fond of either.

He also has two tree frogs but I like them, someone who visits him is terrified of the frogs and won't go near them so it's not all that rare to be afraid of harmless creatures like frogs.
Question: can those 'scared feelings' be called as phobia then?

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I think people can be influenced with phobias - there's a phobia, for example (idk what its called and i probably couldnt spell it even if i did know the word) that basically means a fear of the number 13, i think thats how superstitions get strong in cultures cause people say "this happened and this was the connection with it so that means we need to be afraid of it"

kingkylie

kingkylie

I think people can be influenced with phobias - there's a phobia, for example (idk what its called and i probably couldnt spell it even if i did know the word) that basically means a fear of the number 13, i think thats how superstitions get strong in cultures cause people say "this happened and this was the connection with it so that means we need to be afraid of it"
This is interesting.. Could it also be the other way around? The phobia was created by the superstition? Either way, then that means phobia exist because of the effect of other people's thought right?

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

This is interesting.. Could it also be the other way around? The phobia was created by the superstition? Either way, then that means phobia exist because of the effect of other people's thought right?
it might be a chicken and egg question - which came first the superstition or the phobia, idk

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Question: can those 'scared feelings' be called as phobia then?
I think a phobia is commonly considered to be an irrational fear, but for some things there's a good reason to be afraid.

Snakes can be deadly, spiders too and I forgot my mate has 4 poison dart frogs that you can't touch, they won't kill you but might make you very ill. These little frogs are black with a red stripe down their backs and colours play a big part in our recognition of dangerous species (it's something we share with primates) but sometimes harmless species evolve colours to mimic the dangerous ones so other animals leave them alone.

But with my fear of flying it's mostly an irrational fear as countless people fly around the world with no problems but I can't help but think any flight I get on will drop out of the sky so the fear is coupled with high anxiety. I also don't like heights in general so that plays a big part in it.

kingkylie

kingkylie

I think a phobia is commonly considered to be an irrational fear, but for some things there's a good reason to be afraid.

Snakes can be deadly, spiders too and I forgot my mate has 4 poison dart frogs that you can't touch, they won't kill you but might make you very ill. These little frogs are black with a red stripe down their backs and colours play a big part in our recognition of dangerous species (it's something we share with primates) but sometimes harmless species evolve colours to mimic the dangerous ones so other animals leave them alone.

But with my fear of flying it's mostly an irrational fear as countless people fly around the world with no problems but I can't help but think any flight I get on will drop out of the sky so the fear is coupled with high anxiety. I also don't like heights in general so that plays a big part in it.
Yes I agree with you

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Very interesting topic. Although I never really considered my fears phobias, because my fears are generally common, I do...well, actually, now I'm wondering if they are learned. I mean, I guess it's not like a chemical imbalance because the specific fears have specific reasons for them. I think I was just trying to validate you that it does sound like a phobia to me, but that's just because I personally am not afraid of frogs and they seem like harmless creatures. But, is my fear for snakes a phobia or a justified fear? I mean, yes there are harmless varieties, but I don't want to take the risk of picking one up...i mean, maybe that is kindof a phobia that I don't want to really feel them on my skin...then again, I was the first to touch a snake one a field trip. I think I just am nervous of holding new and strange things, but if I knew it wouldn't hurt me, I'd pick one up...maybe...maybe if someone handed it to me and I wasn't like trying to keep my hands clean to eat or something. Lol

kingkylie

kingkylie

Very interesting topic. Although I never really considered my fears phobias, because my fears are generally common, I do...well, actually, now I'm wondering if they are learned. I mean, I guess it's not like a chemical imbalance because the specific fears have specific reasons for them. I think I was just trying to validate you that it does sound like a phobia to me, but that's just because I personally am not afraid of frogs and they seem like harmless creatures. But, is my fear for snakes a phobia or a justified fear? I mean, yes there are harmless varieties, but I don't want to take the risk of picking one up...i mean, maybe that is kindof a phobia that I don't want to really feel them on my skin...then again, I was the first to touch a snake one a field trip. I think I just am nervous of holding new and strange things, but if I knew it wouldn't hurt me, I'd pick one up...maybe...maybe if someone handed it to me and I wasn't like trying to keep my hands clean to eat or something. Lol
Hahah yea I see your point. So with that being said, if there's a unharmful snake like a big python you would touch it? (Considering that it's not harmful until it strangles you right? Lol). If in my case there's a unharfmul frog, I still wouldnt touch it. In fact, just thinking about it right now already creeps me out lol

AnxiousE

AnxiousE

Hahah yea I see your point. So with that being said, if there's a unharmful snake like a big python you would touch it? (Considering that it's not harmful until it strangles you right? Lol). If in my case there's a unharfmul frog, I still wouldnt touch it. In fact, just thinking about it right now already creeps me out lol
yeah, I mean. like I said, if a trainer was handing it to me, for instance, I would...I think. hehe Funny how thoughts change though when you are actually attempting to do it. :p Also, I'm not sure if you changed the title or if I read it wrong. I mean, I suppose people can influence you. On the field trip, the trainer was making it feel like a safe place to touch the snake...and well, maybe I did it in spite of my Mom's fear. (ha! I'm a rebel! :p) but maybe I had it in the back of my mind that my Dad was brave...actually, he still is brave, because he fears snakes but he will still likely pick them up in the yard and toss them away. I think. Not sure, but I'd like to at least pretend he's brave so that I can try to be brave too. ;)