• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Can someone have quiet BPD, but it doesnt show up in the relationship until something traumatic occurs?

L

Lostpossum

It seemed like my ex was seemingly normal at the time, but after 5 years together a traumatic event happened and she began to show many of the signs of quiet BPD.

Before the traumatic event on occasion she would show some of them, but nothing like compared to that after the traumatic event.

I heard somewhere that trauma and traumatic events can be the catalysts or trigger for quiet BPD individuals to show their true sides or the parts of them they tend to internalize since they are quiet BPD individuals.

Is this true?

Can trauma trigger quiet BPD individuals to finally show signs?

TLDR: small signs of quiet bpd I never really noticed due to rose tinted glasses, trauma occurred, then major signs happening.

D

Dagoon

You are born with the inherited gene for bpd. But it doesn't mean that it will present itself. My trigger was childhood abuse. So that triggered quiet bpd. I had the dangerous impulsivity etc and just down right impulsive. I would just walk out of a job and wouldn't care. Then a few years ago I had a breakdown. Then the symptoms presented themselves loud and clear. My moods go from extremely hyper to flat out mess tears suicidal all in one day. Considering I sleep on average 6 hours a night thats not a full day. My new thing now is to grind my teeth to the point ive had to have my front teeth built back up and now have to wear a night guard.
Its a horrible disease and living with someone with it is hell! My partner is great! He knows how to deal with me.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I have quiet bpd but I never had a proper relationship so I dunno I don’t think anyone knows I have BPD they just think I’m caring and empathetic - god it hurts so bad to feel so much emotions but be afraid to let it out in case people pull away

L

lemontree

I think it could. If she was showing minor signs before then it's likely the traumatic event exacerbated the symptoms for her - usually this is the case for BPD as it is caused by a mixture of genetics and events like some of the other comments have mentioned :(

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Just had 2 outbursts at an office and keyworker( not my nice keyworker a different one) and someone at the office she works in. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
I I really need someone to calm me down. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
U How do you react when someone pulling away Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
L How to tell when someone is joking or not/improve social cues ? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
L Pushing someone i love away due to BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
H I'm in a relationship with someone with BPD... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
C Can someone with BPD change? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 14
maggie0123 scared of someone dying Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
D Please please can someone help me, in distress Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 15
UnstableSolace How do I externally feel for someone? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
B How do you get someone to stop being your favourite person? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
H Someone might needs this today Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
Volbe [Advice Needed] Cutting ties with someone you care for because you know BPD will get in the way? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
Z Its so quiet on here. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 78
jacquelinx Do these sound like characteristics typical of Quiet BPD? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
B Quiet BPD and birthdays Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
J Hello . Just joined. Wondering if anyone else feels they will never beat BPD? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
M Is it possible to live without medication EVEN WITH BPD?? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
G BPD traits? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
babyblue22 BPD life ❤️ Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
D Are these NPD or BPD thoughts Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
B Not sure about BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 29
2 Decades of living with BPD...but there is hope ahead Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
soulsearcher saw this and it really made me think about myself and other bpd sufferers Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 14
M BPD and Anxiety Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
T Bpd outburst last night really bad and now I feel terrible Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 26
TheEmperorsChampion BPD and Conflict Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
C Help my sister has BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
T Just diagnosed with BPD and struggling to cope on a daily basis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
L Are BPD relationships rushed? Was mine? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
L Do BPD relationships have to follow the cycle frequently? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
L I can’t handle my BPD anymore Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
D Am I a weird case of BPD or do I have NPD as well. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
M Employment and BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
P Was she really BPD ? or narcissist ? (long painful story) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
M I think depression was masking my BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
aleks1009 BPD - an identity crissis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
F I have bpd and i hate my life because of it Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
B Online dating with BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
D How my bpd feels like. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
F I finally told my nurse about my bpd symptoms Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
T My wife has BPD and it feels like I’m loosing my mind Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
Scream2 Social Media And BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
Fairy Fountain I don't believe that I have BPD. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 21
AvadaKedavra15 BPD and Work - interested in how others manage this Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
B Most troublesome BPD symtom? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 30
T Love and BPD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
3 Suspected bpd Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
N BPD and risk taking behaviour Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
midnightphoenix bpd Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11