Can schizophrenics smoke weed? after seeing this picture:

R

raymen

When you see this picture http://www.bcss.org/documents/pdf/CannibisandPsychosis.pdf wouldn’t you say that if your brain has been damaged by schizophrenia or psychosis, you shouldn’t smoke weed, or else your brain will run out of blood? Because marijuana and schizophrenia both restrict blood flow to the brain!

D

Dollit

Restriction of blood flow isn't quite the same thing as running out of blood! But mixing street drugs with a mental health problem isn't the best of ideas.

A

Apotheosis

I have read so much on this - & I don't think it is clear cut. I am confused with what the research does actually say; & as far as I'm aware; there is no conclusive proof that cannabis causes schizophrenia. That it can exasperate a MH condition; yes; but cause it; it isn't clear.

Did 17 years of drug taking make me mad? It is partly chicken & egg; & I don't think it helped. But the brain has a capacity to repair & heal itself; the brain has plasticity. almost 8 years off the drugs & the MH symptoms are still there. In some ways I think I may have been more ill; had I not self medicated with drugs in the past. & what of all the many people I have known & know who have had very similar drug taking experience; & who have had nothing like the MH experiences I have had? Why are they all not as mad? Why have they not been as mad? If it was such a done deal; by rights, & according to some; the millions who smoke cannabis in this country - should all be schizophrenic - they aren't.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It's not that if you smoke dope you'll become schitzoprenic or that if you come off drugs for schitsoprenia you'll become ill, it's all probabilities

Some people on my drug end up in hospital some off drugs are alright, it's that your more probable to end up in hospital off drugs, there a whole mathematical statistical science behind the raw results

R

raymen

I totally understand that most likely cannabis doesnt cause schizophrenia but my question is after you see this picture http://www.bcss.org/documents/pdf/CannibisandPsychosis.pdf
isnt it true that since my brain has already been damaged by schoziphrenia, I cannot smoke any more weed or else all the blood in my brain will be restricted? consequently killing me?

A

Apotheosis

I totally understand that most likely cannabis doesnt cause schizophrenia but my question is after you see this picture http://www.bcss.org/documents/pdf/CannibisandPsychosis.pdf
What picture? That's a PDF document with some very questionable 'science', a bit of pro drug war government propaganda by the look of it.

isnt it true that since my brain has already been damaged by schoziphrenia, I cannot smoke any more weed or else all the blood in my brain will be restricted? consequently killing me?
Has brain damage showed up in a brain scan; & been proved to have been caused by Schizophrenia? Interesting.

World Wide - in all recorded history; I think there is one death that has been directly attributed to a very severe toxic reaction to cannabis, consumed at very high doses. I think we are talking around 20 ounces; but I would have to check on that.

Personally I'd be far more concerned about severe reactions to the toxicity of meds.

T

Twylight

If a ton of cannabis fell on top of you it would probably damage you

I believe in it - created I reckon !!

R

raymen

All

This was shown to me by my occupational theripist and also shown to my parents when they attended some kind of family support service for families of people with a mental illness and addiction

D

Dollit

That's published by the British Columbia Schizophrenia Society. It shows a representation of one brain scan of a person with Schizophrenia and it shows a representation of one brain scan of a person who has used cannabis.

It doesn't say that all people with a diagnosis of Schizophrenia (which is nebulous to say the least) will have that degree of restriction of blood flow. Nor does it say that all people who smoke cannabis will show that degree of restriction of blood flow.

What it does say is that cannabis use can make symptoms worse, and as some one who has had that experience (though I have a bipolar diagnosis not a schizophrenia one) I have found that not using it makes life easier.

All the blood in your brain could probably only be restricted to the point of death if you stopped the blood flow into the brain. I think the point that is being made, though clumsily, is that without a decent supply of blood to the vein the oxygen supply isn't adequate and that can result in brain damage.