Can psychotic symptoms fade away?

P_Rose

P_Rose

Hi there,

I had a couple of psychotic breaks one month apart early last year, where I felt that people could read my thoughts and that people in my life were trying to stalk me, hurt me, and abandon me. I felt completely detached from reality and was also experiencing appetite changes, extreme paranoia, very rapid mood swings, etc. My psychiatrist gave me a tentative bipolar diagnosis and put me on lamotrigine. I'm at 150mg now, and while I still struggle with depressive episodes overall my mood has stabilized a lot and the psychotic symptoms have greatly decreased.

In fact, it seems like over time the psychotic symptoms might be starting to go away, and I'm wondering if anyone has had the experience of psychotic symptoms going away entirely over time without being on an anti-psychotic medication? The symptoms are clearly anxiety-related for me, as I had a small relapse recently during a very stressful travel situation. I've done a lot of work to cut stressors out of my life, but I'm afraid that the decrease in psychotic symptoms will only stay that way until I get very anxious about something again.

I guess I'm hoping I can figure out how to live better with some of the residual feelings of being "out of it" and detached that I'm still experiencing, and my fingers are crossed that over time the worst of it will go away if I manage my stress well. I had also had a very strong marijuana brownie a week or two before the episodes last year, and plan to never touch it again, so I hope that will help too.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The simple answer is no one can say they will never come back. Some people have one or two episodes and are free for the rest of there lives. Others may go for years without one. I’ve gon for eight years free of psychosis. But know it may happen again. I think it can depend on what triggered your first one. Were you particularly stressed or agitated, had you taken illegal drugs , not slept for days. Lots of this can trigger psychosis. It’s good that your on medication keep taking it and keep in touch with your MH team if you think you may be slipping . Do you have family or friends that know your behaviour . Give them permission to tell you that your behaviour is changing and you need help.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

My first psychotic break was when I was 19 in college. It wasn't too bad and I was able to hide it from the world and never told anyone about it or got any treatment for it, but I did drop out of college. Over the next 6 months, at first I mostly stayed in my bedroom at my mother's house and didn't talk to anyone, but gradually I got better. I ended up getting a job, then went back to college, and I got completely better. I got a good job after college, got married and had kids. Then ten years after my first psychotic break, my job got very stressful and I started hearing voices again. I got more psychotic so I couldn't function at work and got laid off. I found another job but was unable to do it and I ended up being hospitalized for the first time for mental illness. This time I got treatment but I couldn't work and was in very poor shape for many years and was hospitalized 3 more times. Now, I still don't work, I get disability income, and I get by okay. I volunteer at a charity most weekdays, and even with antipsychotic medicine, I still deal with psychosis every day, but I have a better insight into it than I used to and I haven't been hospitalized for 10 years.

P_Rose

P_Rose

Thanks for the feedback.

daffy: Fortunately my family and some friends are aware of my history with MH challenges, and I try to be honest with my MH team. My first psychotic breaks were triggered by a stress/burnout, untreated depression, and an unexpected situation of sexual harassment that led to paranoia and an inability to sleep for several days. I appreciate the advice to ask family and friends to let me know about any behavioral changes. It's hard for me to ask for that kind of help, but I know I'm lucky to have people in my life who can do so.

boudreauj4: Thank you for sharing your experience as well. It's encouraging to hear you've been able to stay out of the hospital for so long, even though you deal with psychosis all the time. How do you manage living with psychotic symptoms in your daily life?

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Hi, the things are not as intrusive as they used to be. The voices don't talk as much and when they do talk they are quieter and I can ignore them most of the time. I compare them to tinnitus, which I also have. I guess I have some delusions because there are some things I believe that my wife insists is not true but I'm not obsessed with them the way I used to be. We agree to disagree about them. Sometimes I start thinking very improbable thoughts about things and my wife helps me do a CBT thought record on them to help me come up with more rational thoughts.

J

Jules5

I am so weary about my Mental Illness-I am like a tornado Hurricane with others around me indiscrimnately. I have been in the deep abyss for almost a year prior to that I was nuts-had just got robbed and came home and built weapons and would not let anyone at all on my property. I barracked both Driveways and had guns all over the house. Finally I stopped this behavior-Thank God. I was sharpening swords, filling squit guns up with gasoline and brought a compound bow. Crazy I know. Self protection. My neighbors ended up building new fences due to my behavior. We live on allot of property with horses dogs and chickens. One of my neibors is a retired Judge and another a high ranking officer of the Sheriffs Departments and the other one is mental too. What a crazy unacceptable mental disease that does not go away unless treated. Love you guys Jules

R

Ramson bangers

Can really relate to the op and thier symptoms. I have been taking aripriprizole and i think it works. Although im quite sure what happened was a result of crazy emotions bought on by my own actions mixed with copious amounts of cannabis. I had a para attack which lasted two years. My brain could not cope with the madness, it shut down into sleep mode and i couldnt eat for weeks. Thankfully it faded away and i left picking up the pieces.

J

Jules5

Gosh a 2 year long panic attack sounds awful, although I have been low for almost 2 years now. Maybe this too will pass. I have been drinking alcohol again while on my meds. Not good-just looking for some type of relief