• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can physical symptoms linger after panic attack for days?

O

Oreocat5393

I keep getting physical symptoms.

fast heart rate
Sweaty hands sometimes
can’t feel my hands or head
Weightless feeling / airy head feeling
Spaced out feeling

They happen all day not just during the panic and I only start to panic because I’m feeling these sensations. I don’t think of anything that would trigger my panic.
How do get through this? How do you stop these ?

E

EclipticNight

After an attack they can linger for a time. If it keeps happening your having more attacks. You are thinking of something to make you panic, you panicing. You can worry yourself so much about attacks that you can give yourself attacks.

For heart rate, deep slow breathing will slow your heart.
Your hands are sweating due to adrenaline, not much you can do about it.
I have never experienced numbness so I'm not sure here.
The weightless feeling is likely adrenaline, but it could be sugar related or blood pressure related. Nothing dangerous.
Being spaced out is normal for fight or flight. As the name implies your body is ready to fight to the death or outrun a predator, thinking is not required for the instinct so trying to is hard.

Siegfried

Siegfried

If we consider a panic attack to be top of wave that doesn't mean the wave has fully subsided even after it.

During it your anxiety may be at a 10 but in for days afterwards it may remain at like a 7 since you obviously suffer from some anxiety disorder and PA are often very traumatic experiences that usually leave you with even higher baseline levels of anxiety and all those seem like common symptoms of elevated anxiety.

Of course, I'm not a physician if any sort, this is not qualified medical advice.

O

Oreocat5393

After an attack they can linger for a time. If it keeps happening your having more attacks. You are thinking of something to make you panic, you panicing. You can worry yourself so much about attacks that you can give yourself attacks.

For heart rate, deep slow breathing will slow your heart.
Your hands are sweating due to adrenaline, not much you can do about it.
I have never experienced numbness so I'm not sure here.
The weightless feeling is likely adrenaline, but it could be sugar related or blood pressure related. Nothing dangerous.
Being spaced out is normal for fight or flight. As the name implies your body is ready to fight to the death or outrun a predator, thinking is not required for the instinct so trying to is hard.

I don’t necessarily think about anything. It just happens all the time several days almost constantly. If anything the only thing I do think about is how these physical sensations are bothering me. It’s like I’m trapped. Sometimes I go into full blown panic but other times I just have the symptoms no panic just annoying and won’t go away.

O

Oreocat5393

If we consider a panic attack to be top of wave that doesn't mean the wave has fully subsided even after it.

During it your anxiety may be at a 10 but in for days afterwards it may remain at like a 7 since you obviously suffer from some anxiety disorder and PA are often very traumatic experiences that usually leave you with even higher baseline levels of anxiety and all those seem like common symptoms of elevated anxiety.

Of course, I'm not a physician if any sort, this is not qualified medical advice.

is it possible to have no anxiety thoughts at all but still feel anxious? I’m just thinking about the physical symptoms. I keep trying to get my doctor to look further because I also had covid and I’m wondering if it’s lingering covid stuff. But my doctor keeps telling me it’s anxiety