• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can People With Personality Disorders Still Be Good Parents

G

GuiltyandConfused

I posted here a few days ago about my issues and would just like to get some feedback from everyone.
I am currently in therapy which began after my husband found out that I had been flirting via social media with a former male colleague and posting lewd comments on facebook, and since finding this out he has also opened the floodgates to the numerous marital and behavioral issues he has had with me for the past 16 years.One of these issues is me being able to stomach locking myself in my room for hours binge watching shows and whatnot while the kids are left with the carer outside. He believes that I have been neglectful of our kids and I believe he sees me as being an unfit parent due to my emotional instability and my tendency to flirt around with men on social media. While I won’t deny that what I have done is wrong and completely inappropriate behavior, I do still believe that I can change and actually be a better and more attentive and loving mother, especially now that I am getting the professional help that I need to sort my emotions out. The thing is, a lot of harsh names have been said to me in most of our “discussions” (bitch, pig, no respect for your husband, immoral, etc) which leads to the dwindling of my already very low self esteem. I am now thinking that perhaps leaving my kids will be better for their welfare and reputation (nobody wants their kids being labeled as daughters/sons of a whore, right?), but I can’t imagine ever doing this as I know that I have the ability to be better, especially now that I am taking steps to address my issues. People like me can still be good parents, right? We can still change for the better provided that we do the work? Do parents’ past mistakes really shape the entire future of their kids, even with improvements done?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i think they can be yes x people with personality disorders can still be good people capable of bringing up children ,they might need a bit more support from family friends or services but there is no reason in my opinion why people with PD cannot be good parents x
also welcome x Lu x

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Of course you have the ability to change and be a good wife and mother. But the only way to do it is through action and not words. If you show you're truly trying to change, people will see it and be supportive.

Ras

Ras

i know i am a great parent. So yeah we can be