• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can past experiences really trigger new anxiety??

L

laural98

Hi all, if any of you have spoken to me or seen me posting know that my anxiety experience is fairly new and happened very suddenly.

The past couple of weeks I’ve been trying to think about what may have triggered it so suddenly for example; stresses of my job and bad experiences driving.

Im a fairly new driver (passed in may) and had someone crashed into the side of me a month later. Soon after that someone else crashed into the back of me at a roundabout when I was already stopped. Again after this, my car was egged while I was driving and it cracked my window. These events happened a couple of months ago now and dealt with them Pretty well, or so I thought.

I experienced the start of my first panic attack in my car driving home in the dark. It took me a while to get back into the car but I do it with no problem. However when I was driving earlier tonight, all I could think about was how tense I was all of a sudden, my face went tight and that pressure in my chest came flooding back like the first time. I was having a pretty good day for first time in ages and now I just feel on edge again. Ughhhh.

Is it the Car That has triggered my anxiety? Or am I overthinking this? What are everyone’s thoughts?

sorry for the long ramble x

jajingna

jajingna

I believe, absolutely past events can trigger lots of things including anxiety. After all, mostly we are made up of past experiences, that's what has shaped us into who we are today. Some bad stuff happened in the past but it is still with you. When you are reminded of something bad, anxiety is a likely response. You hear people talk about things from long ago sometimes, but the emotion is still strong with the memory. The hurt or whatever it is, the fear maybe, is still there connected to the memory. It's easily brought back to conscious awareness when something reminds you of it.

B

BreathingDeeplyNow

I overcame my anxiety by following Eckhart Tolle's teachings. You can listen to his video on how to handle anxiety on Youtube titled "Break Free From Anxiety and Fear".

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tin Woodman A thread of time (sharing past experiences) Mental Health Experiences 3
B I have no help to get past this Mental Health Experiences 2
P I can’t be human if I can’t move past this Mental Health Experiences 1
hORIzonFINK210 what would you change about your past?> Mental Health Experiences 20
C Have you ever woke up to something of the past instantly bothering you Mental Health Experiences 13
A past stuff. Mental Health Experiences 5
wraziel Feeling emotion from the past Mental Health Experiences 1
R Why is it that whenever I was suicidal in the past people preyed on me and punished me Mental Health Experiences 1
S Flashbacks of past ex bf Mental Health Experiences 18
B Does anybody else get stuck on past events? Mental Health Experiences 19
moonperson How do I move past my fear of school? Mental Health Experiences 2
P Keep Reliving The Past Mental Health Experiences 3
M Hard to talk to father about the past.. Mental Health Experiences 5
JessisMe The Past Mental Health Experiences 1
M Blast from the past.. Mental Health Experiences 1
C Past Anxiety and New Job Mental Health Experiences 1
Soul_Deeps How to forget stuff from the past? Mental Health Experiences 27
W I’ve been remembering my past with my Best Friend. Do I subconsciously have mental illnesses from that time? Mental Health Experiences 3
nomask Adopted, planning to meet my bio family. Scared of how they'll react to my past. Mental Health Experiences 1
J Still struggling with past event Mental Health Experiences 13
S Obsessed with the past and it's ruining the present Mental Health Experiences 6
spoon-racoon advice about past trauma and relationships? Mental Health Experiences 5
Kerome Shadows from the Past Mental Health Experiences 19
Oceankeeping Reliving past in the worst way:( Mental Health Experiences 7
S i feel in the past , i feel uncomfortable , weird and upset Mental Health Experiences 2
B Obssessing 14 days about the same past event Mental Health Experiences 1
H My life of hell: a vary short story of my past Mental Health Experiences 1
The Big Dawg Crimes from the past Mental Health Experiences 3
E Haunted by the past - often silly things Mental Health Experiences 10
I Dweller of the past Mental Health Experiences 3
cassgurl123 Situation of the past Mental Health Experiences 7
V Worrying about past and things that have never happened Mental Health Experiences 2
B dwelling on my past,no idea what to do in the future Mental Health Experiences 3
D drinking alone over past Mental Health Experiences 5
LORD BURT Paying the price for past lives? Mental Health Experiences 47
B upset about past, needing support and reassurance Mental Health Experiences 15
H when something from the past reminds you Mental Health Experiences 2
N Is it possible to get over events from the past that are imprinted onto your soul? Mental Health Experiences 7
pippinjay I am in bed it is half past six and I was bored so I did a little hop skip an duh jump over the haystack to where the tooth fairies live and this is w Mental Health Experiences 20
bert tomato Ashamed of my past. Mental Health Experiences 11
M the past has a mind of its own Mental Health Experiences 11
amathus Do you dewll in the past? Mental Health Experiences 2
J contaminated objects due to past situation Mental Health Experiences 4
S Health anxiety and fluoxetine - experiences and side effects!? Mental Health Experiences 5
Mothman night terror/hallucination experiences Mental Health Experiences 7
S Do you have some experiences with hypnosis? Mental Health Experiences 4
L Illnesses, experiences Mental Health Experiences 4
jajingna Positive Childhood Experiences Mental Health Experiences 9
jajingna Adverse Childhood Experiences Mental Health Experiences 14
Marrex My Mental Health Experiences Mental Health Experiences 1