Can Passive Suicidal thoughts result in Actual Suicide?

G

geert224

I have had passive suicidal thoughts resurfacing time to time for a while, but lately it has become more regular with added depression and anxiety in my life. While I don't see the point in living, I also don't see the point in dying right now either, and thus I am not driven to kill myself. However, these passive thoughts are causing me increasingly more concern. These thoughts come up rather randomly about how it would be like to not exist, how it would be like to kill myself, how it would be like to die to a music that I might be listening to, and it goes on and on. I do not give these thoughts real consideration, but I have been thinking whether it can lead to something real when I am feeling more depressed or anxious some days. Normally I try to reason through these thoughts and get on with life, but when more depressed I have found this ability to reason all the more strained. I don't know whether a point could come where my ability to reason may entirely be suspended and I end up really killing myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Victorianna

Victorianna

Geert- I’m sorry you are having increasing thoughts of suicide. Probably you won’t act on them, like you say. I have them, too, but they pass. It just seems like a way out of the pain. In my clearer moments, I realize it’s not the answer.
Have you told anyone about these thoughts? Are there people you can reach out to? Also, there are emergency lines like the hospital or suicide prevention, so find those numbers and keep them just in case.
If there is anything in your house you may use - guns, lethal pills, then tell someone else to put them away from you.
Also, think of what you live for now, and things you want to do in the future. What are the things that make you happy?
Finally, are you getting any medical help for your depression and anxiety?