• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can Passive Suicidal thoughts result in Actual Suicide?

G

geert224

I have had passive suicidal thoughts resurfacing time to time for a while, but lately it has become more regular with added depression and anxiety in my life. While I don't see the point in living, I also don't see the point in dying right now either, and thus I am not driven to kill myself. However, these passive thoughts are causing me increasingly more concern. These thoughts come up rather randomly about how it would be like to not exist, how it would be like to kill myself, how it would be like to die to a music that I might be listening to, and it goes on and on. I do not give these thoughts real consideration, but I have been thinking whether it can lead to something real when I am feeling more depressed or anxious some days. Normally I try to reason through these thoughts and get on with life, but when more depressed I have found this ability to reason all the more strained. I don't know whether a point could come where my ability to reason may entirely be suspended and I end up really killing myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Victorianna

Victorianna

Geert- I’m sorry you are having increasing thoughts of suicide. Probably you won’t act on them, like you say. I have them, too, but they pass. It just seems like a way out of the pain. In my clearer moments, I realize it’s not the answer.
Have you told anyone about these thoughts? Are there people you can reach out to? Also, there are emergency lines like the hospital or suicide prevention, so find those numbers and keep them just in case.
If there is anything in your house you may use - guns, lethal pills, then tell someone else to put them away from you.
Also, think of what you live for now, and things you want to do in the future. What are the things that make you happy?
Finally, are you getting any medical help for your depression and anxiety?

C

cathanifrind174

Victorianna has given some excellent suggestions so I won't add to the list. I just wanted to say that as someone who frequently experiences passive suicidal thoughts, it is normal to worry about whether one day it might get big enough to cause problems. I find it hard to tell people who haven't experienced it lest they panic. Because "suicide" is a such a big word. I suggest getting professional help as psychiatrists are trained to differentiate passive thoughts from actual suicide attempts. One is a very common symptom of depression and anxiety, and may even affect someone not suffering from an illness because of a grave external situation, the other is a serious medical emergency that needs immediate reaction. So I would let a professional doctor make that diagnosis and not try to make that distinction myself. Get well soon. I hope the thoughts go away and you're able to find long term peace. I am in your situation so I understand. So I hope my message doesn't come across as words thrown in the air.

SoftRain

SoftRain

I have passive suicide thoughts. I would never do it because of the pain Id cause my family. Plus I really dont want to die I just want the stress or the hurt to go away.
I think when you start planning and nothing seems to matter is when its possible.

L

Lucy87x

I have passive thoughts like i dont want to be here anymore etc but I wouldnt do anything its a symptom of depression suicidal thoughts but I kniw if someone told me i was foing to die I would do anything I can to live. My counsellor says its a coping stratergy suicidal thoughts as if things get too painful there is a way out but its like a safety blanket that you wouldnt use. Hope this helps x

jajingna

jajingna

Thoughts are not actions. They're just things going through your mind. When it comes to something serious like this, it's what you actually do (or don't do) that matters more than the thoughts.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I guess passive suicidal thoughts can progress to active suicidal thoughts. If you find yourself thinking about a particular plan, you should see your GP or Pdoc right away. I told my psychiatrist that I have a plan (gave him the specifics) and he had me hospitalized right away then and there in his office. I'm glad that he did that. I wasn't thinking straight at the time.

B

Barksul

It can, but as long as you don't physically act on it, they go away.

I've been having a tonof racing thoughts mixed with anxiety. I won't feel it, but it can come out when i speak. So, people will think I'm being scared, when I'm not.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Former member
I guess passive suicidal thoughts can progress to active suicidal thoughts. If you find yourself thinking about a particular plan, you should see your GP or Pdoc right away. I told my psychiatrist that I have a plan (gave him the specifics) and he had me hospitalized right away then and there in his office. I'm glad that he did that. I wasn't thinking straight at the time.

Same. When my Psychiatrist asked me how serious my suicidal thoughts were and I said 50/50 she had me admitted into hospital right then. She wouldn't even let me leave her office, they called my wife and told her I HAD to be admitted to the Psychiatric ward a the nearby hospital. In fact, she told me if I tried to leave she could have me apprehended by the Police. That was a scary comment and I broke down right there in her office-but she was absolutely correct and it probably saved my life. I wasn't in a rational state at the time even though I thought I was. I'm amazed I could even function, go to work and perform at any level the way I was feeling (I'm a research scientist on electric car batteries).

Today, I still get discouraged and disappointed-plenty of times. But, the intensely anxious/depressive state I was in 4 years ago was a very scary circumstance. When you are THERE you can commit suicide and there ain't no doubt about it. This isn't passive ideation, it's the full Monty. Believe me, you don't want to be there. Ever.

jajingna

jajingna

Having been in hopeless states before for long enough stretches sometimes I can appreciate just being functional even if things are not as good as I'd like.