• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can paranoia manifest in hypomania or mixed episodes?

M

milly

My dad was recently diagnosed with a tumour in his brain around about 3 weeks ago. It is cancer and he is going to have radio with chemo over the next 10 months. I thought I was coping but then showed up slight signs of paranoia. I see someone laugh. They are laughing at me. I confronted the person and he said he was but not at me. Then I contacted him via messaging at work and started cracking jokes wth? I had this inner restlessness and anxiety and pacing a lot. Just couldn't sit still. Now I don't know if this is part of schizophrenia or signs of mania. My GP said after finding out about my dad I would be upset I wouldn't come to her in that state so this rings alarm bells to her.

B

bipolarbuddy

Hey Milly this is my first post on here I just signed up. I have bipolar. For me personally yes, during hypomania or mixed episodes I can certainly become paranoid and accusatory. This happens due to racing mind, anxiety, lack of sleep, I think.
Paranoia is certainly part of hypomania and mixed episodes. Maybe not for all of us, but I would say most of us that can get very agitated this is part of it. With the stress of this news about your father it makes sense to me with you having bipolar to be very jumpy.
I would say make sure to avoid caffeine, SERIOUSLY, and cigarettes and alcohol if you don't already. Make sure to take medication to sleep 8 hours, that's the most important thing. I'm really sorry to hear of this news!!! hang in there, it will all be okay. It's NORMAL for us to get paranoid but there's certainly steps we can take to calm down as much as we possibly can. Don't sit around and let your mind race, too, stay busy and spend time with people you're comfortable with. ANd congratulations on getting my first comment on here :b x:rolleyes:

C

Crazy Lady In Stanton

I'm sorry about your dad. I hope he gets well soon. Take care of yourself. :hug1:

M

milly

I'm sorry about your dad. I hope he gets well soon. Take care of yourself. :hug1:
Thank you. I really hope so too :(

Hey Milly this is my first post on here I just signed up. I have bipolar. For me personally yes, during hypomania or mixed episodes I can certainly become paranoid and accusatory. This happens due to racing mind, anxiety, lack of sleep, I think.
Paranoia is certainly part of hypomania and mixed episodes. Maybe not for all of us, but I would say most of us that can get very agitated this is part of it. With the stress of this news about your father it makes sense to me with you having bipolar to be very jumpy.
I would say make sure to avoid caffeine, SERIOUSLY, and cigarettes and alcohol if you don't already. Make sure to take medication to sleep 8 hours, that's the most important thing. I'm really sorry to hear of this news!!! hang in there, it will all be okay. It's NORMAL for us to get paranoid but there's certainly steps we can take to calm down as much as we possibly can. Don't sit around and let your mind race, too, stay busy and spend time with people you're comfortable with. ANd congratulations on getting my first comment on here :b x:rolleyes:
Thank you I thought it may have been part of schizophrenia aspect of my diagnosis but it clearly could be bipolar too. Labels don't matter but I wanted to try and get to the root cause of my psychosis which I have not been able to as I had a psychotic episode six years ago and that was my only one.

calypso

calypso

Admin
The stress of your father's condition can cause us to get overboard. From what you have written, its not too much yet, but as you know, we don't have the brakes that other's have so keep a close eye on yourself.