• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Can OCD symptoms fade?

GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd

First I want to say it's difficult for me to explain this through words, so I apologize if it's confusing.

When I was a child (on through my teenage years) I really struggled with what I thought was OCD. Mostly due to the physical need to repeat certain actions. I would start to panic and cry if I did not or could not repeat/achieve the physical sensation. I never told my psychiatrist because I was scared they would put me on even MORE medications. And I really struggled with the fact that I had to be medicated back then.

I had issues with keeping physical sensations equal on both sides of my body. For example I would have to chew on both sides of my mouth until it felt like equal pressure on each side. Or if I put pressure on the tips of my fingers every finger had to have the same amount of pressure applied otherwise I would start over. If someone touched my arm, I had to touch my other arm in the same area with the same amount of pressure or I felt terrible and off. Something just felt wrong.

Now that I am in my late 20s I found that I don't struggle with this so much. It doesn't rule my every day life like it used to.

It's possible I don't understand OCD enough but does this sound like OCD? Is it odd that the symptoms faded?

N

Narcissist714

ACCOUNT CLOSED
you said you don’t struggle with it as much, so does that mean you still have some mild symptoms? Do you have any other thoughts that causes anxiety and gives you the urge to do something about the anxiety ? You would have to go to a professional to get diagnosed but to me it does sound like ocd

i don’t think it’s odd that the symptoms faded and it doesn’t bother you as much. I know of a person that has ocd but doesn’t have any symptoms anymore because he does CBT therapy

GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd

you said you don’t struggle with it as much, so does that mean you still have some mild symptoms? Do you have any other thoughts that causes anxiety and gives you the urge to do something about the anxiety ? You would have to go to a professional to get diagnosed but to me it does sound like ocd

i don’t think it’s odd that the symptoms faded and it doesn’t bother you as much. I know of a person that has ocd but doesn’t have any symptoms anymore because he does CBT therapy
A lot of things cause me anxiety, but I do still have things that set off heavy discomfort so its not as bad as back then. I still have a bit of the discomfort when eating or the pressure to my fingers, but its so much less. Sometimes its not even a problem. But I do go through periods throughout the day where I cant handle being touched in general as well.

That being said I have been diagnosed with Anxiety. So maybe it's just that.

A part of me feels like if I bring up the stuff I did in this post, to a professional, it will look like I am just searching for a diagnosis. Like I WANT to be diagnosed with OCD. I have a bit of an issue assuming people think I am attention seeking when I talk about this stuff.

I appreciate your response though. Truly, thank you.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

First I want to say it's difficult for me to explain this through words, so I apologize if it's confusing.

When I was a child (on through my teenage years) I really struggled with what I thought was OCD. Mostly due to the physical need to repeat certain actions. I would start to panic and cry if I did not or could not repeat/achieve the physical sensation. I never told my psychiatrist because I was scared they would put me on even MORE medications. And I really struggled with the fact that I had to be medicated back then.

I had issues with keeping physical sensations equal on both sides of my body. For example I would have to chew on both sides of my mouth until it felt like equal pressure on each side. Or if I put pressure on the tips of my fingers every finger had to have the same amount of pressure applied otherwise I would start over. If someone touched my arm, I had to touch my other arm in the same area with the same amount of pressure or I felt terrible and off. Something just felt wrong.

Now that I am in my late 20s I found that I don't struggle with this so much. It doesn't rule my every day life like it used to.

It's possible I don't understand OCD enough but does this sound like OCD? Is it odd that the symptoms faded?
Was there pain or discomfort if you couldn't balance the pressure on nerve endings?

Just a thought but have you ever looked into hyperesthesia? (Linked description) I wondered if there was something physical with your nervous system that causes these sensations. I know spinal damage can cause hyper-sensitivity to the nerves.

Sorry if I've misunderstood x

Hyperesthesia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd

Was there pain or discomfort if you couldn't balance the pressure on nerve endings?

Just a thought but have you ever looked into hyperesthesia? (Linked description) I wondered if there was something physical with your nervous system that causes these sensations. I know spinal damage can cause hyper-sensitivity to the nerves.

Sorry if I've misunderstood x

Hyperesthesia: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
It's hard to remember if it was at all painful, since I just remember being so overwhelmed by the need to fix it. But discomfort for sure. It would honestly spread through my body and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

It's definitely not THAT bad anymore, but it does still bother me from time to time.

Oh, I have never thought of that! Thank you, I will look into it. :)

Faith198

Faith198

I’ve had it fade for me in some ways, not completely but I’ll still have rituals but they won’t be so extreme.. like I won’t feel really off if I don’t do one of them. I think anxiety just kind of goes up and down. Especially with how life is going for someone at the time, like if there’s a lot of stress going on etc. That’s great news that they’ve faded for right now! 🙌🏻