• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can my doctor sign me off indefinately?

J

johnathon84

Hi all i was looking for some advice. Last year i was off work for two weeks down to depression and anxiety. It was last week that my doctor signed me off once again for a further two weeks due to the same issues which included havign panic attacks in and outside of work. The big load of all of this is brought on by pressure and stress from work. I am also a type one diabetic. The stress with work and not wanting to be around people and the pressure and the constant worry of panic attacks thanks to work has led me to have dangerously high blood sugar levels. I was wondering though if i go back to see my doctor tomorrow, do they have the power to sign me off indefinately rather than just a number of weeks or months?. All of this stress has been brought on by the workplace and i was hoping that the doctor would see things from my point of view and work is not the best place for me. Will my doctor completely sign me off due to this as it affects depression,anxiety and agrophobia. I can use that time to relax then and not worry about work which can lead me to building myself up again to look for alternative work. Please could somebody give me advice on this please as i am really worried. Thank you in advance.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi johnathon 84.

Sometimes situations seem larger than they are.
I would be inclined to share honestly about your situation with your GP.

With love,
Autumnal

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i think it unlikely as you only recently stopped working and are you in treatment?

J

johnathon84

Im not in treatment at the moment as my GP is just treating me with anti depressants at the moment which dont seem to be working so my medication has been changed. My doctor has informed me that i could start therapy though but in my own time. If the doctor is not likely to sign me off indefinately, do you think he will continue to give me sick notes for work providing that i can demonstrate im genuinally not fit for work. Thank you again.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
yes. i think they will sign you off till you can go back to work.

i hope you can get your diabetes more under control so you don't get any long term damage.

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi jonathon, I think you'll need to see how things pan out. I know its anxiety provoking. As I said before, no one can second guess your GP, and most are reluctant to sign anyone off indefinitely if they can possibly avoid it. I imagine that there are procedures to go through with your employers? I think you are in the early stages of being off work. Is there a redeployment scheme with your employer for example? I was off for several months and still had to go into my workplace for occupational health appointments, despite being in a crisis unit.
I hope that your GP will be supportive and help you to work out how to manage the anxiety, that seems to be a priority. Good luck x

J

johnathon84

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Maybe an indefinte sign off was a bit too much considering the amount of time iv been off so far. I think my best bet is to just take some time for me and just keep sending in my fit notes to my work place. Im only young Nikita so its not really an option fo rme right now. If i was a little older then it certainly would be something for me to think about.

My phobia of leaving the house has been somethign i have battled for a while and has certainly contributed to my time away from the work place. I have not shown any signs of improvement in the past few motnhs so im contiuning to be signed off. Do you guys think my doctor will keep signing me off if i dont improve and im still afraid to leave my home?. Thanks guys.

pepecat

pepecat

I thought you'd only just been signed off - not that it was an already ongoing thing?

I think if your specific job is the problem, then the doc would probably not continue to sign you off, as you could always get another job. If you're fit for work generally, but not your specific job, he might not do it.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey :)

If you asked me a month ago whether I would ever return to work I would of said hell no but now I am. Ok, on a support plan and only 2/3 nights a week but still.

The point is, is that you never know where you are going to be mentally after a few weeks or months in my opinion. Give it time, have the rest you need and your mind and body will tell you a few weeks or months down the line whether this will be a long term thing or not.