• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can my consiltant force me to have my bloods taken?

S

Simon Davis

Founding Member
I am in receipt of DLA. I suffer from Aspergers Syndrome and paranoid
psychosis. My consultant psy has put me on Risperidone. Originally he wanted
to section me but found he had little grounds to do so. I had thoughts of harming myself.

My problem is he has wrote to the doc requesting that my bloods are done to
ensure I am taking the Risperidone. I am taking them but not at the dose
they think I am taking as they make me worse, give me shocking heads and
make me feel worse. I have explained this to the cnsultant to no avail.
Anyway he doesnt know what dose I am taking but its only a fraction of what
he prescribes,.

My problems are mainly Aspergers related for which there is no medication.
Anyway my question is, can he force me to have my bloods taken? I have a
chronic phobia of needles and having to have bloods done is making me worse.
Can he literally force me into it or can I refuse to have them done.

I need some help here please as I dont want these bloods doing.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I actually think that you can refuse to have blood taken, I may be wrong. What I would say however is that you need to talk to a/the doctor about the side effects that make you not want to take the medication. He needs to find something that you will consent to taking. Otherwise it's just going to be a battle of wills, where they will have to use the power of the law to compel you. Thta is a terrible state of affairs with someone who already has a whole heap of psychological baggage to contend with; it's a little like raping a rape victim.

I think you need to find an advocate who can put your case across, and fight for a better solution to your condition in regard to treatment. Until you're happy with it it's going to be a source of conflict for you, and bludgeoning you with the mental health act is ruthless.

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
you can for definate refuse to have your blood taken

down side is that might ( but not in isolation ) lead to a section.

Deal is the docs are likely to be happy if you explain why you don't want bloods taken like scared of needle, but they might see it as a problems with your mental health

You need to check out why they need to take the blood
1. is it becuase they want to check you are taking it - offer meeting up with them instead if you don't want blood taken
2. more importantly some drugs like lithium are toxic at the wrong levels - therefore the doc has a strong justification for doing it

No one can touch you without your permission except under section and that aint pleasant knowing anyone can do anything 'in your best interest' Don't go there if you can help it