• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Can long term PTSD lead to psychosis/schizophrenia

K

KayT

Hello

I am here because my brother has suffered from long term PTSD which has developed into psychosis/ schizophrenia. My brother who was 18 at the time, a beautiful, so handsome, so strong and utterly charming teenager was plied with alcohol, drugged and raped by his ten years older male senior manager.

He mental health has slowly deteriorated over the last decade, he is now 30. I now look back and I have realised he suffered from PTSD and never spoke about it for 8 years until he had numerous mental health breakdowns two years ago and the nightmare has never stopped since. He is looked after by my elderly parents and me (I have a newborn baby now and toddler).

I would do anything for my darling younger brother, my heart breaks to see him have hallucinations, flashbacks, sleep disorders, eating disorders, aggressive manic psychotic behaviour, strips completely naked at night and walks around the garden, being very very sexually charged, he has been admitted into a mental health hospital twice and is taking 20mg of olanzipine anti-psychotic drug. The drugs have had horrible side effects and have made completely mute, confused, always sleeping, eating junk etc. He does not talk to us at all now, he is distant and his mind is still replaying the scenes from ten years ago.

Has anyone or know anyone in a similar situation and how have they ever got better if ever?

Empish

Empish

Hi,
sorry to hear your awful story. I have been doing yoga for a long time now and I'm currently training to be a yoga teacher. I know that the MOD in America as well as other countries now recommends yoga and meditation for soldiers who suffer from PTSD. I think I suffered from a mild form of PTSD after suffering from social anxiety disorder and social phobia for many years and yoga was the most beneficial thing that helped me. Maybe a Yoga therapist rather than a yoga class might be a good idea. Or a therapist that deals with releasing trauma. Try googling PTSD and yoga. Good luck

Argon

Argon

Drugs or trauma seem to trigger underlying problems. They should not be using psych drugs on him as a first treatment though. Soteria House is a way to treat first psychosis with minimal to no psych drugs.
The Nacka Soteria was a project in Stockholm that focused on providing treatment for first-episode psychotic patients in a residential setting with minimal doses of neuroleptics. A five-year follow-up showed a higher recovery rate and patient satisfaction compared with the treatment-as-usual group.

C

Captin76

Drugs or trauma seem to trigger underlying problems. They should not be using psych drugs on him as a first treatment though. Soteria House is a way to treat first psychosis with minimal to no psych drugs.

Without massive training for myself that I've been in for multiple years, unable to begin emdr, I am not able to control the anxiety of flash backs without medication. We've spent close to 4 years working on coping mechanisms. I think I'm a severe case, I am a severe case, I wish I could feel as if it were possible for me.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C How long does PTSD last? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
Tawny Getter Better - PTSD and CPTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 14
T Trying to deal with a roommate that has PTSD and other issues. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
angel1982 prazosin for PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
B Helping someone with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6
J Could this be PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
Z Is this PTSD? Petty problem, but still.. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
U is this PTSD? **** trigger warnings, abuse described **** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
P Is it PTSD, or something else? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
S Is this part of PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
O PTSD and blocking most events out Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
S Support with Partner Who Seems to Be Struggling with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
fireandairo TW Ptsd emotional and drug abuse Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
C PTSD cheating/physical abuse.. partner doesn’t support me.. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
K I have OCD and PTSD, a recent guy on the internet is triggering me to have bad panic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
O PTSD and feeling “fake” or “dead”? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
M Feeling guilty for being diagnosed with PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
lizard56 Do I have PTSD? Please help! Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
9 PTSD Suffocating ***TRIGGER - Discusses abuse *** Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10
K Mind-Body Workbook for PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
micas Do I have PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
B PTSD because of traumatic psychiatric hospital experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 13
H Past relationship and ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
A Alcohol anaesthetised PTSD... Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S Is this PTSD or just trauma? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
S PTSD from emotionally abusive relationship...do I leave now things are getting better? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 26
B What is considered a traumatic event to be considered PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
P Told dont need ptsd, agoraphobia diagnosis because autism diagnosis. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 9
L Negative criticism PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
B Depakine, olanzapine for ptsd Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
H PTSD involving Emergency contraception **Trigger warning - sexual assault Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
Jess96 Complex PTSD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
M Is it worth it to file lawsuit for past bullying leading to PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
S PTSD - strange aftermath/ effect on body - anyone relate? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 15
L Is PTSD related to a bad childhood and in result the reason for adult tantrums? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 4
M I have diagnosis ptsd. but my symptoms are auditory visual tactile an olfactory hallucinations, paranoia, mania, delusions and suicidal ideation. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
S PTSD from infidelity/lying Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 2
wraziel I hate my carreer PTSD???? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 8
D PTSD from a Bus accident I was in 10 years ago. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 5
B Have I really got PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 3
W Living alongside PTSD and EUPD Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 0
J Ptsd after natural disaster Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 1
A PTSD - EMDR Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 7
L Help-is this PTSD? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 6
M does anyone with ptsd experience this? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 20