Can I sue someone?

pentagram

pentagram

I've just heard that the Guantanamo people are going to get compensation off the government for being tortured. Can I sue someone for the torture they inflicted on me? It has had a huge effect on my life both mentally and financially and if I can't sue them is there any way I can shame them into anything?

dib4uk

dib4uk

Im sorry to hear about your problems with the government... hmm to anserw your question i dont think that you can sue anyone, but you can complain about the treatment that youve either recieved or not recieved.. what exactly have they done to you?

bert tomato

bert tomato

Its a good question. I believe mental health problems are a form of damages. So yes I believe we should be able to sue someone.

S

smokinghorse

YOU could sue But in this country you have to be very very rich to sue so unless you have a swiss bank account l don't think so
l can really understand where you are coming from ,but with luck this government will not last

pentagram

pentagram

Thee torture inflicted on me was by psychiatrists in a mental hospital on behalf of the catholic church.

S

smokinghorse

Yes but you have to have prove it and have lots of money you will need to see a attorney and get advice some will give 30mins free in the uk

ally41

ally41

In the UK you can get mental health advocates to examine mistreatment in hospital but I don't know whether you can sue...

S

smokinghorse

medical negligence would have to be proven not easy and what you see as torture the law may not sad to say. but you need to get advice.

D

dlzoidberg

I don't think they would have won in court. The government just didn't want embarrassing documents to be made public.

maxitab

maxitab

I think you have a case but I don't know how you would go about proving it. You can get free advice for a half hour, as was said. I would go armed with documents (if you have any ), write down names and dates, where was done and by whom for what purpose......then you can give this instead of having to explain it all.
Would you be claiming medical mal-practice? The GMC might be able to help out.......

T

TheFinalShowdown

It should be possible for you to sue through a small claims court, or something of that nature. These enable individuals seeking money that is owed etc to take the case themselves. I have received letters with wording apparently purposed to assist me by giving such critical information, which states that such cases can be taken for as little as £15 for the court room and not much more for the advice of a solicitor for an hour. More than once I have received letters stating that cases can be taken for pittance. As for shaming them, this will happen at its own accord when something invokes their conscience to kick in. Then they will begin to wish that they hadn't done it.

bert tomato

bert tomato

I think many 'countries'/ 'societies' have basic hang-ups about providing correct welfare to the state.

For example:
In the UK - we pay many taxes to the government, the point being that should provide us with services to allow us to live in a way that the government 'promises' to. The 'promises' are the goverment 'manifestos'. I imagine they are legal documents, so I imagine that when these 'manifestos' are breached they entering into illegal activities.

However the simple point is that - there are a lot of hangups at just providing citizens with living standards that are in line with the country.

I believe we have the technology, know- how and wealth to provide everyone with these living standards, yet there seems to be a lot of wastage, due to in-efficient systems.

We can imagine the consequences, social unrest being the result. As a result of social unrest - I believe our best course of action is to attempt to alter the system to work as we see fit.

There are many ways to this:
1. Political: We can vote for organistions/ policies that best suit our needs.
2. Professional: We can attempt to change the organisations we work for, in manner suited to our roles.
3. Socially: We can communicate our concerns and gain support through our social circles.
4. Artisitically: We can be 'policital statements' by supporting artistic movements according to what we approve of.
5. Legally: We can take our concerns through legal channels.
6. Commercially: We can choose to support commercial organistions and brands that we approve of.
7. Other ways: We can use our wisdom and experience to lead our lives in a way that gives us the most comfortable way of living.

We may try not to do anything that may get us in trouble - with the law, or other people. I imagine to become a 'model citizen' is a worthwhile goal. :clap::love::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: