• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Can I stop taking these two medications? PLEASE HELP!

R

Rusalochka

I take half of 50 mg Levomopermazine (25 mg)

And I take mirtazapine (15 mg)

I HATE THIS SHIT.

I take it at night. Usually 9 or 10 PM. It takes forever to make me tired. 1 in the morning I finally fall asleep and I sleep and sleep and sleep. I sleep until 4 pm! That means when I do wake up, I don't have enough time to ENJOY my DAY!

I want to go out, party, have fun, visit the city. I can't do that because I always sleep the day away!

PLUS I feel awful when I wake up! Like a zombie! Like there's a heavy weight on my chest.

My next psychiatrist appointment is taking too long! And his dumbass is always on VACATION! If anyone needs a vacation, it should be ME. So now my appointment is pushed further away and I have to WAIT FOREVER....

:curseyou:

I used to be on three pills of mirtazapine, and now finally tapered down to one. I've been on one pill for a few months so maybe it would be fine if I just stopped taking it now??? And I'm only on a half of levomopermazine, so maybe that would be okay too???

:cry2:

PLEASE HELP. I need to decide if I should take this shit tonight or not!!!

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. I would argue that you need to taper off with medical advice only. They are powerful drugs to just take yourself off them. I was on Quetiapine a while back and took myself off it and ended up psychotic. My pdoc then changed me to Aripiprazole which has no sedative qualities that I can see. I am quieter than normal.

I am also on Mirtazepine and know what you mean! I am tired all day but I take it at night - do you? Its not a day time drug. I know that coming off that will tip me into a depression so again I take it as prescribed. My advice is hold on until you see the pdoc and get advice. tell you ordinary doc to speed up your appointment with the pdoc that's what I did.

H

HL094

Maybe throwing in an unpopular opinion here, but the medications are meant to help your recovery, the key word being help. They play a small role in an otherwise very complex matter.

Are you exercising regularly? Eating healthily and regularly? Have support from family and friend? Those are just a few of the many factors that play into improving your life overall :)

And yeah, as calypso says above, it's better to not taper off medications on your own since they are powerful and can have adverse effects if you don't take the right dose at the right times. See if you can expedit your appointment with the psychiatrist or even get a new one if this one doesn't follow up with you frequently enough.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
I know what you mean about the Mirtazapine. I was told by a CPN that the lower the dose of Mirtazapine the worse the sedative effect. It's worth discussing the difficulties with your Dr and discussing alternatives that might work better.

Until then what about taking your medications earlier so that you get to sleep earlier and wake up earlier?

Drooo

Drooo

Yeah, as Cazcat said, if you haven't done so already then you need to be taking them much earlier, 7pm or 8pm, maybe even earlier.

I think a big part of this, however, is the fact that your body clock is now upside down. I would strongly encourage you to interrupt your sleep-wake cycle. At the minute it sounds like it is set pretty rigidly for more of a night shift type pattern - up all night and asleep all day. You're effectively driving on the wrong side of the road.
This is a much more powerful thing than most people realize. To interrupt it you need to force yourself to wake much earlier than 4pm and continue doing so, resisting the urge to sleep in the day, and as a result, get to bed earlier. It'll take a little bit of adjustment and you'll still feel tired initially, but eventually, if you stick to it, your body clock will right itself again and your sleep-wake cycle will return to a more normal pattern. This will bring your internal biology back into balance and you'll feel better for it.

As things stand you are fighting against the inner workings of your own body (the release of hormones etc that follow a strict pattern). A brief overview of which can be found here Melatonin and Sleep - National Sleep Foundation