• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can I still recieve ESA benefit while studying?

S

squishyxo

I am currently on ESA benefit as I cannot work due to mental illnesses,I am in the work related activity group. I want to start a college course in September as part of my recovery. The course is part time and I will be doing 15 hours a week. There is a fee including a £750 fee to reserve my place , but being out of work I cannot pay this nor will ESA cover it.

The college suggested applying for a Professional and Career Development Loan, but I'm not sure if the job centre will count this as income. If they do, they will cut my ESA benefit.

If anyone has any advice on what to do or if they know anything about this, it is greatly appreciated! It's very frustrating when you're trying to get better but they make it so difficult and stressful.:sorry:

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
Ask the citizens advice bureau if you have one, it will probably be classed as income.
take care

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i did an ou course on benefits part time, at the time the benefit office would pay the fees, in theory, i was worried about telling the benefit office in case they claimed fitness for work, the support worker suggested a psychiatrists letter saying it was therepeutic, the psychiatrist agreed to provide one then his secretary said she hadn't the time to type it, so in the end i decided to pay for the course and not contact the benefit office, i failed the course incidentally

the rules i think have changed benefit offices no longer pay for courses, what worries me is they'd say no problem won't effect benefits then towards the end you'll get reassessed forms in triplicate and maybe fit for work

F

Forevertrying

I am currently on ESA benefit as I cannot work due to mental illnesses,I am in the work related activity group. I want to start a college course in September as part of my recovery. The course is part time and I will be doing 15 hours a week. There is a fee including a £750 fee to reserve my place , but being out of work I cannot pay this nor will ESA cover it.

The college suggested applying for a Professional and Career Development Loan, but I'm not sure if the job centre will count this as income. If they do, they will cut my ESA benefit.

If anyone has any advice on what to do or if they know anything about this, it is greatly appreciated! It's very frustrating when you're trying to get better but they make it so difficult and stressful.:sorry:
Hi, i completed a degree in the support group, they were fully aware of this. The amount did decrease due to student loans and grants, then went back up when completed.

I sent along all the evidence of my support plans my disability assesments, the acomodations the uni makes when i cant attend and so on.

I am not sure about working group as i am in the support group. I would ring them and hear the information first hand.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda1989 Do I still have to show up to the court date If made payment plan with my debtors Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
PetitPois Trying to get better, while still being bad Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Linda1989 If i start working will still have health insurance? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Z Can I still get a decent flat if I don't meet Affordability Calculation? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
daffy Is anybody else still on dla Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 23
J Should I apply for ESA while I am still in college? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
M awarded pip but still need to have esa assessment! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
T People with disabilities are still Human Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
American Boy Is anybody else still on DLA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
F Stigma of mental illness is (still) a barrier to care and help-seeking Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Catastrophe Do I still need a sick note? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
L Colleagues still signing out later than they leave Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
V still waiting Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
midnite Been trying to open a bank account for 10 years and STILL CANT!!!!!!!!!!!! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 14
E will i still get paid? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
lpattie Slightly different question about housing but still involves mental health. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
G I'm still on Incapacity Benefit. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
N Still waiting for the dla decision Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Funnyday ESA court case about receiving £1500 backdated payment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 14
M Esa reviews Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
Tawny Moving House? - ESA to UC and new GP Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
M Waiting for ESA review Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
W News re: PIP and ESA reviews Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
W PIP/ESA/UC face-to-face assessments suspended. Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
M Help failed ESA tribunual Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 1
Funnyday ESA reduction from February 2021 Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 69
PinkCandyFloss More PIP crap and ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
L ESA Support group - no assessment - stunned! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 12
Tawny ESA support group and wrag group info Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 0
D ESA Support Group! Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
P Need help with first time ESA assessment / ESA 50 / Severe mental health issues Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 13
N PIP/ESA - if you use medical terms to describe your symptoms? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Rachybz Esa and pip advice needed Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Luci ESA work capability assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 8
S Esa and pip experiences Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 35
R Can I go to college whilst in the ESA support group? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Screechout Esa/work assessment descion time scale Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 35
M Been cut off from ESA.... Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 43
Luci ESA? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
J Representing myself at ESA tribunal? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
Funnyday Esa reward Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 4
M Can I do a course at the Open University if I'm on ESA and PIP? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 16
S help needed esa Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5
W Anyone else been paid ESA early? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 31
W ESA assessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 2
soulsearcher do you have to let esa or pip know if youre in hospital? Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7
Mayflower7 ESA Income based Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 11
N ESA Reassessment Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 61
N A question about PIP and ESA Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 3
Artmuzz ESA not paid in bank Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 5