Can I still get a decent flat if I don't meet Affordability Calculation?

Z

zookmaster

My new jobs a zero hours job. I looked at my schedule and I've got several weeks full and a couple weeks with a few days. I also work a second job which is guaranteed at another 2 or 3 days.

In the interview it's normally 40 hours per week. In about 14 months I'm thinking of renting a flat for maybe £900 a month/anthing under is usually a tiny bedsit) with my monthly earnings about £1600-£1800. I hear the landlords do a affordabiity check, but are they all as strict as this? If I can afford the rent I should be given a chance.

I don't want share as I really like my own space. My credit is most likely good as I've paid of a 5 year car finance loan and have no debt. I really need to move out my parents house it's causing me real issues at 35 now and just want the chance to rent.

Screechout

Screechout

It depends on the estate agents, when I previously lived with a ex partner they worked a job that sometimes had periods of no work we provided past statements of his work and it was fine. With that being said some estate agents might not like that you don't have guaranteed work hours and may require you pay a few months rent in advance.

Having a good credit score will be in your favour, it might be worth calling up the potential estate agents and asking them. Be upfront and honest with them.

Try not to stress out about it, it's definitely possible like I said above with my ex partner I wasn't working and his job had sometimes gaps of unemployment and we were still able to rent a flat.

Z

zookmaster

If I don't get weekly statements could my employer provide these at a later date.

L

Lunar Lady

The agent can be provided with bank statements to show you have a healthy surplus at the end of the month. They want proof you are financially solvent, so manage your bank account carefully - try and leave a permanent float there so you never go overdrawn and it shows on paper that you are budgeting within your means. That evidence can outweigh hours employed - they just want proof your finances are stable and the rent affordable. xx

Screechout

Screechout

If I don't get weekly statements could my employer provide these at a later date.
Do you not have any pay slips? Monthly ones?
You could ask your employer for a statement of earnings this will show how much you've earned since being employed their I'm pretty sure it covers the past 12 months. Although this might be harder to get, a previous employer many years ago provided me with one.

Also like Lunarlady has said bank statements will help, but I would try and get payslips if you can becauae it shows your employed as well. Ask your companies hr department to see if they can provide you your wage slips to you if you don't have them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
daffy Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 23