• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Can I cut my pill in 4 parts?

A

Alin05

I have a problem with the fact that I can only find Mirtazapine in the 30 mg form. The are pre-scored so they can be halved. But my prescription is for 7.5 mg. I bought a pill cutter but can I cut my 30 mg pill, pre-scored to only be halved, in 4 parts? I cannot ask my doctor until next month and the pharmacists didn't knew either.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I have a 450mg lithium pill that is scored to be halved. Every night I cut it in half and then I cut it again into quarters. I've done this for years. It is an extended release pill but this works for me as I cannot swallow the pill whole. This is why pill cutters were invented.

A

Alin05

According to this video, pill cutters should be used to cut the pills only in the area where they are scored to be halved so you don't risk having two unequal parts.

M

Minfullness4791

I cut my 15mg Mirtazapine into quarters as I use it for sleep. I am sure it will be fine:)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I can’t see how you can cut a 15 mg into 1/4 they are only small tablets with one score mark. It would end up just turning to bitds

M

Minfullness4791

It works perfectly fine for me. I use a really sharp knife! I only need 3.75 to help me sleep and Mirtazapine is well known for having more sedating affects the lower the dose.

J

Jules5

I just take a little nibble off my pills as I do not want to be on such a high dose. It workks fragmentilly for me I do not even think about it as even the little pieces add up