• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can I ask for a decrease in meds without it going wrong?

P

Pink

My psychiatrist had said I can request a med reduction from 15mg Abilify to 10mg Abilify after spring. It is now after spring and I want to try but I am scared too. I used to be on 10mg just fine for a good 10 years,,,,,,, until the doc decided to take me off it and put me on a antidepressant alone and it caused psychosis and it affected my moods. Big mistake..

S

SFGuy

My psychiatrist had said I can request a med reduction from 15mg Abilify to 10mg Abilify after spring. It is now after spring and I want to try but I am scared too. I used to be on 10mg just fine for a good 10…
Why do you want a reduction? Side effects?

K

keith74

until the doc decided to take me off it and put me on a antidepressant alone and it caused psychosis and it affected my moods. Big mistake..
Yeah putting you on an antidepressant by itself is definitely a bad mistake on the doctor. Antidepressants are known to potentially trigger mania/psychosis in people with bipolar.

Normally I would said it is totally fine to ask for a med reduction if your psychiatrist gives the ok. But considering the last mistake with the antidepressants, I'm not so sure how much I would trust the psychiatrist.

T

Traveler5

I don’t have side effects but I used to be on 10mg and at that time it worked fine.
Why not go back to the 15mg if it worked fine? Yes, your doctor made a mistake with putting you on antidepressants. You may want to find another doctor if you can.

Amazingly

Amazingly

My psychiatrist had said I can request a med reduction from 15mg Abilify to 10mg Abilify after spring. It is now after spring and I want to try but I am scared too. I used to be on 10mg just fine for a good 10 years,,,,,,, until the doc decided to take me off it and put me on a antidepressant alone and it caused psychosis and it affected my moods. Big mistake..
There isn’t a big difference between 10mg and 15mg of Abilify.
But you can always go down real slow just in case you start noticing more symptoms.
Good luck to you @Pink

S

SFGuy

I don’t have side effects but I used to be on 10mg and at that time it worked fine.
Oh, OK. I'm not sure I would reduce the dose myself if 15mg is working alright. Whenever I taper anything down, it seems like I'm asking for trouble or at least some discomfort. For me, it's worth a reduction if a drug has side effects or isn't working.

P

Pink

Yeah putting you on an antidepressant by itself is definitely a bad mistake on the doctor. Antidepressants are known to potentially trigger mania/psychosis in people with bipolar.

Normally I would said it is totally fine to ask for a med reduction if your psychiatrist gives the ok. But considering the last mistake with the antidepressants, I'm not so sure how much I would trust the psychiatrist.
The psychiatrist who did this has since left and he was only temporary. The new pdoc seems to think I have a mood disorder. I am on 15mg and it is working but 10mg used to work too. I might wait a few months more before reducing htough.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I would do what you feel is right for you, but I would also really consider the advice of your doctor. I recently asked my doctor if I could lower my medication and he told me that he felt I needed to be on this dose for a few more months and I agreed with that. It’s just nice to know that a potential decrease is in the future.

K

keith74

The psychiatrist who did this has since left and he was only temporary. The new pdoc seems to think I have a mood disorder. I am on 15mg and it is working but 10mg used to work too. I might wait a few months more before reducing htough.
Ah ok. Good to hear you have a new pdoc. If you wish to explore a reduction, make sure you plan it with your new pdoc.