• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can I admit my self to a psychiatric ward?

M

Mickyboy78

Hi I am in desperate need for help it is like no one is helping me I was suicidal a few days ago, went to a and e and they just regarded me to suicide prevention team and although it was a great instant prevention it has not touched on my mental issues what can I do I am waiting for a psychiatrist to asses me but there is a massive waiting list I am in Liverpool if any one has any advice please get in touch cos I know I will not go on living like this the pain is too much for me to live with I am at rock bottom here and desperate for help

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I am so sorry to hear that you are not coping with your mental health, whatever your diagnosis will be, they are all so hard to cope with but over time, you will learn how to make life a bit easier for yourself, and how to help yourself through.

Many of us need medication to help us cope but not all. Have you ever taken medication for depression or anxiety or anything?

Seeing a psychiatrist is a major thing so you might want to think about what will happen on that day. Have the suicide prevention team left you alone now or can you still phone them?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Here are some numbers that you may want to use. The Samaritans are great people to talk to and are available 24/7. They can talk to you if you are feeling suicidal. 111 is another option if you are not able to get to A&E.

I don't think you can admit yourself to a psychiatric ward, no, but any professional you see is able to admit you. It is something you could ask, but it is not very common for people to be admitted because there are people who visit you at home to prevent admission.

If you’re thinking about suicide and are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (i.e. in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111) or call the international emergency number of 112.

If you have been affected by the contents of this thread and would like to speak to someone about your feelings you can call one of the following helplines:

In the UK and Ireland, the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123.
In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14.
In New Zealand, the Need to Talk service is on 1737 or 080017371737.
Other international helplines can be found at www.befrienders.org.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide

Accessing urgent help during the pandemic
During the current pandemic there is an urgent 24/7 mental health access line available to reduce the need to attend Accident and Emergency departments or calling 111. This can be accessed directly by existing service users and the general public, including those struggling to keep themselves safe, by calling 0151 296 7200 or the freephone number 0800 145 6570

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Don't give up asking for help, until you find help.

In the meantime, we are here.

How are you sleeping?

Keesha

Keesha

Great info Tawny
Wishing you the best MickeyBoy❤

M

Mickyboy78

Thanks for the replies I was on the phone to NHS crisis team before and to be honest the woman I spoke to wouldn’t let me explain how I was feeling and was reading my notes from when I went to A and E four days ago she was trying to tell me I didn’t need to go to hospital I am so confused at the moment I ended up half arguing with the woman and I said “basically you are telling me because I haven’t tried to end my life I don’t need to go to hospital I will go and take every tablet in the house then” I hung the phone up next minute police come and knocked at my mothers house, I am staying at my mums at the moment, anyway police brought someone from the mental health team with them and they were great, I had a good talk with the woman but once again I feel like I just get brushed off and told the way I am feeling is only minor when I know living like I do or having the life I have had is killing me one day I know this.
i can remember being 8 years old and getting kicked out my house and feeling depression at such a young age, I have had so many traumatic events in my life it is so unreal like write a book kind of stuff, I have been a criminal since the age of 13, been involved in organised crime from the age of about 17 and spent in total 17 years of my life locked in a prison cell since the age of 16.
Have witnessed my Dad nearly get murder in front of me and held and made to watch it when I was about 12 because of me fighting with two brothers, I have seen my cousins get shot when I was 19, seen my close friend get shot and die in front of me and had another close friend of mine get murder.
i think about this most days I get so paranoid to leave my home, suffer with so much anxiety and wreck every relationship I have ever had and it’s now starting to affect my kids lives now and our relationship with each other.
i am 42 now and can’t go on living the way I have done and am so desperate for help.

M

Mickyboy78

And my sleep is not good at the moment, I am sleeping on a couch having about 3 hours sleep and getting up and running between 6 to 10 k most days.

M

Marianda

And my sleep is not good at the moment, I am sleeping on a couch having about 3 hours sleep and getting up and running between 6 to 10 k most days.
That's the worst. You need to sleep. When I dont sleep well the whole world turns into a black thing. You can't expect to improve your mental health without proper sleep. I struggle to sleep also but Im taking meds for that.

M

Mickyboy78

Maranda the worst thing is my mind races and I just can’t sleep I don’t take these antidepressants because I think they are doing me harm although I know they most probably help me I really am desperate for help

JessisMe

JessisMe

We are here for you Micky. Have you talked with your doctor about your sleeping problem? It seems like the least someone could do for you is help you get some sleep...xo, j

M

Marianda

Maranda the worst thing is my mind races and I just can’t sleep I don’t take these antidepressants because I think they are doing me harm although I know they most probably help me I really am desperate for help
Well @Mickyboy78 you need to visit a doctor as soon as possible. I know what is to have racing thoughts. I had those for a long time and I had intrusive thoughts also. As soon as I started a treatment with antidepressives the racing and intrusive thoughts dissapeared. If you feel the antidepresants are harming you its probable that you need to switch medication and try new antidepressants. Please seek medical help. Not sleeping is really bad. It increases your anxiety and desperation. Please bear in mind that antidepressants take time to display their effects.