• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Can enlightened buddhists be violent?

chesterking

chesterking

I have read in the news that enlightened Buddhist monks can become violent? Is this true?

Last edited:
B

Breathless

No, if they are violent then they can't be enlightened, if enlightenment is even possible. I don't believe it is.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i don't believe in 'enlightenment' and believe anyone can be violent in the right circumstances so yes.

chesterking

chesterking

Blogger Jim Malloy said...
I can tell you that there is indeed a state of consciousness in which a person is always centered in the peace, light, freedom and happiness of their true spiritual nature. This state of consciousness has been called "enlightenment," as well as other names.

There are various degrees - or levels - of enlightenment, and I have had the good fortune to spend time with many individuals who have attained the highest levels of this state.

In regards to 5 years of meditation - for most individuals, this is not nearly enough time to reach this state of awareness.

March 6, 2015 at 3:48:00 PM EST

B

Breathless

Attaining the highest levels of enlightenment isn't enlightenment. I've met many Buddhists that I'd say have taken great strides toward freeing themselves from suffering but not one that has actually claimed to have done so. Even the dalai lama is coy about the subject and will readily admit to suffer the human condition on a daily basis.

chesterking

chesterking

Attaining the highest levels of enlightenment isn't enlightenment. I've met many Buddhists that I'd say have taken great strides toward freeing themselves from suffering but not one that has actually claimed to have done so. Even the dalai lama is coy about the subject and will readily admit to suffer the human condition on a daily basis.
The enlightenment I am talking about is where a person becomes fully perpetually present with no thoughts or feelings. Just a happy blissful feeling all the time.

B

Breathless

That's called smoking pure hold-rolled hashish from the himalayas. The enlightenment I know is full of thought and feeling, just zero attachment to them. Idk I hope to begin Buddhist studies soon at my local centre so will explore tuff like this further. I'm sick of materialism, judgementalism, stressy miserable Brits et

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
can christian saints be violent, jesus chucked the moneylenders out the temple and theres extreme muslims

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerome

Kerome

Hmm, I don't think so, not truly violent. Perhaps they could do Kung fu or other martial arts, but I think they would refrain from this even if it wasn't serious.

B

Breathless

The true meaning of the word dojo is a 'place of enlightenment'. Kinda like a temple. It just another means to developing mindfulness and practising being more present in the moment.

D

Deliah

I depends what you mean by violence. In my view it wouldn't be possible for an enlightened person to be violent in an angry or aggressive way. The ego has disappeared. There is no judgment, no otherness. It's no longer possible even in the action of defence to hold a view of being more than your opponent. D x

D

Deliah

It's an interesting one for sure. After gandering around it for some time, I eventually decided for myself that a person would only know this state if they had arrived at it. I have certainly experienced brief times when I felt truly enlightened. My wise friend believes that we are all enlightened sometimes if we follow this path. We can't know something that we are without the awareness to experience. It can only ever be guessed at. I've spoken to many practicing Buddhists and practice myself, but I heard so many different views, that I know nobody knows and couldn't know until they reached it. At the end of the day, enlightened folk are still human and have feelings and minds. Or do they? Do they discover that we're not human and that this is part of the delusion. It's mystery. D x

chesterking

chesterking

Is it possible for enlightened people to become violent? I just read an article in the news that this has happened. Please visit the link below. Why are Buddhist monks attacking Muslims? - BBC News

March 23, 2015 at 1:55:00 PM EDT

Blogger Jim Malloy said...

One who is truly enlightened will not become violent. They may use force if it is absolutely necessary, but that is not the same as violence.

Just because someone is a Buddhist monk does not mean that they have reached a state of enlightenment. I read that article, and these are not enlightened individuals, but simply members of a violent cult which provides an outlet for their own anger and violent tendencies.

March 23, 2015 at 2:02:00 PM EDT

D

Deliah

Thanks for that Chesterking, a very interesting article indeed. It sounds like there is an extremist view amongst these Buddhists too. They've twisted Buddhas words to suit their own needs, as with extremist Muslims twisting Allahs words. I can kind of understand. It sounds like they believe it is a compassionate stance to take, it is for the greater good or something, but have obviously missed the point. That's bad karma. I suppose we are all human, including monks and go down delusional paths. No enlightenment there. D x

shaky

shaky

1. The monks in the article are probably not enlightened.

2. There were Buddhist warrior monks in old Japan.

3. An enlightened man or woman will do what is best and that might mean using force to accomplish something or prevent something being accomplished. It might be a little like some martial arts moves where you use the force a person brings against you and turn it on them.

4. Enlightenment is not a 'state' that you achieve like getting a qualification. It can be lost at any time - or gained, even by us muggles.