Can depression really cause chronic fatigue

J

Jg6347

Hi

I have been suffering with extreme fatigue for quite a while. I try to look after myself with healthy eating. I have seen my GP several times and he has carried out blood tests. He said the tests are normal and that my symptoms are related to my depression. I’m really struggling with this concept as it’s affecting my everyday activities. I’m seeing a psychologist, doing g CBT and trying to keep my. One occupied, but it’s a battle to fight through the fatigue. Has anyone ha the same issue and proved it was all down to their depression?

L

Liz

I can't prove its down to depression but since being diagnosed a year ago I have more days in bed then not and that doesn't help x

A

Alladyn1919

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi

I have been suffering with extreme fatigue for quite a while. I try to look after myself with healthy eating. I have seen my GP several times and he has carried out blood tests. He said the tests are normal and that my symptoms are related to my depression. I’m really struggling with this concept as it’s affecting my everyday activities. I’m seeing a psychologist, doing g CBT and trying to keep my. One occupied, but it’s a battle to fight through the fatigue. Has anyone ha the same issue and proved it was all down to their depression?
From m,y experience I know that depression may cause fatigue.However I think that it isn't a simple proportionate relationship.The same person on the same treatment may be one time depressed without a fatigue. the other with fatigue, however if he/she is much improved on all mental aspects of depression there shouldn't be any substantial fatigue due to depression and there may be other reason, but that's only my opinion based on my rather foggy memories from the past.

Alladyn1919

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It may not be fatigue but lack of motivation. I know when I’m depressed I don’t see any reason in getting up because I’ve nothing to look forward to. I keep thinking I should be doing something but the depression stops me because I don’t see the point of anything. I don’t think it’s the same as someone who suffers CFS which is physical.

megirl

megirl

I had suffered from depression throughout my life. I had been a number of times to my gp in regards to my fatigue. I wanted it to be something physical then I could blame it for causing the fatigue and fix it. All the tests under the sun and they were all fine.
Finally I accepted this was indeed due to my depression.
Though we are all different. I also think its good to rule out anything else that could be going on

F

fightingdep

I asked about similar question in this forum too:).

I had a period where I couldn't get out of bed. Yawning in the shower. Yawning all the way when walking to college. and still yawning all the day. My eyes are so droopy. Couldn't concentrate. My arms and legs are sooo heavy.

And then somebody remind me that I maybe lack of nutrients and vitamin.(I didn't eat much since my depression got worse) I started from there and getting a little bit better. Still fatigue now but some days are better. Eating healthy wont cure depression but definitely will help you get through it better.

S

steve1953

ACCOUNT CLOSED
JG, fatigue can be due to so much negative energy in your system, my advice, spend a couple of days researching positive energy to heal or positive energy to self heal - if it starts to work then put doctors on hold for a while and see how it goes, good luck..