• Hi. It’s great to see you. Welcome!

    Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life. Amongst our membership there is a wealth of expertise that has been developed through having to deal with mental health issues.

    We are an actively moderated forum with a team of experienced moderators. We also have a specialist safety team that works extra hard to keep the forum safe for visitors and members.

    Register now to access many more features and forums!

can clonidine treat akathisia symptoms?



New member
Nov 4, 2015
Dear member's
I need some advice about (neuroleptic) halodeperial induced akathisia.
My mother suffered frontotemporal dementia illness. She's 71 years old. She has some hallusulations and psycosis due to the FTD.
Approx 4 months ago she became very aggressive and she suffered insomnia. The doctor's gave her risperidone, ketiapin (seraquel) , xanax, diazem, ativan (lorezepam) alternately during the four months period.
But these drug's are not to be successful for controlling aggressive behaviour. and insomnia.
After then the Doctor's gave her 2 x 5 mg halodoperial (norodol) tablet for controlling her behaviour.
After taking halodoperial 4 week; she catched halodoperial induced akathisia and dystonia on her neck muscle.
Her akathisia very violent. She walks in the house continually approx 18 hours in a day.
She never sit. She never rest. She always walk.
She also eat meals if and only if during the walking movement.
When the sleeping (night time) time come; we give her imovane (zopiclone), melatonin and 150 mg seraquel mixture; also this drugs can help her only 6 -7 hours sleeping time in one day.
Fronto temporal dementia and dystonia is not so important; but akatisia and her restlesness walking is very hurtful.
How can we stop akathisia syndrome ?
She walks about 40 kilometres per day. The neurologist doctor gave her amantadine (PK-MERZ) pills, tetrabenazine (xenazine pills) and also propranolol (dideral) pills, benadryl and cyropheptadine syrup alternately against controlling akathisia.
But these drugs couldn't control her akathisia. She never sit a chair only more than 0ne-two second during the all day time. Is there anyone who knows akathisia drug?
Could you please advice a drug for controlling akathisia.
I am afraiding of She may became anorexic ; She eats very hardly. because of walking consistently.
I heard clonidine drug Its trade name is catapress. Medical literature says clonidine may help to treat akathisia symptoms.
Would any one suggest us a akathisia recipe and also about using clonidine ?
I am afraid potential bad side effect of clonidine.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
I am lokking forward your advices.
Best regards.
Last edited by a moderator:


Well-known member
Jan 5, 2011
Can I suggest you get her properly assessed by a Gerontologist (or a Geriatric psychiatrist), as in Britain it is now against the law to prescribe these drugs for people with dementia unless fully assessed by an expert. If they are prescribed, then it should be reviewed every month by the doctor to assess if they are still needed.

Most people with dementia should not be on these drugs. They increase the behavioural problems with people living with dementia. The bodies of elderly people, by definition, are not working as well as younger people and the drug dosages build up in their systems. Proper care can reduce nearly all of these actions with good knowledge of what triggers behaviour. If she is having hallucinations, then these too can be managed without drugs.

May I suggest you read Psychosis and the Elderly Person - Information from the Mental Health Forum

and Dementia

Both are found on the home page of this forum ( I wrote them as I was a senior sister in charge of 3 units for 10 years dealing with people living with dementia). Also look up work by Bradford University on dementia and Stirling Uni too. Also David Sheard is a leading expert on how to support a person living with dementia. I was trained by him and its astonishing what we get wrong - all of us - until we understand.

But back to the first thing I said, get her fully assessed by an expert, not a general doctor.