• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can BPD be purely inherited?

jems89

jems89

I have BPD, I had a very normal childhood/upbringing etc nothing to report but my dad has always displayed very very strong traits of BPD, I am always told I am the double of him and I definitely take after him, I was wondering if BPD could be purely genetic without the presence of a troubled childhood?

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Heya jems89, i don't know but here, you're cold, have a hug :hug1:

jems89

jems89

Aww thanks, very kind! Bring on the Summer I say :hug1:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I don't know what a medical professional would say as an answer.
It seems that a lot of professionals seem to be attached to this idea that everyone with BPD had a shit childhood. It's almost as if they don't believe you if you tell them you were a happy, confident child.

But personally, yes - I think it can be inherited. Even if there's no particular gene for it, I think as children we do learn our parents behaviour.

merrida

merrida

I was just going to say the same thing. We learn out parent behaviors, perhaps you learned from watching your fathers.

D

Desna

Learned behaviour is a huge factor in suffering mental distress. What is learned can be unlearned.

Namaste & be well :hug:

N

notrealname

Almost all mental health conditions are inherited or learned from our environment. They're usually completely rational responses to the environment we developed in.

I'm not taking away from your statement that you were a happy child at all - I remember being a happy, confident, kid too - but do you think that if your Dad had BPD that would mean that his mood shifted a lot? For a child that does not understand the reasons behind it, that could be quite frightening. That's not in any way blaming your Dad, it's not his fault, I'm just saying that BPD is essentially a collection of beliefs - that's what causes it, a belief system. We are nothing except our beliefs at the end of the day. And that those beliefs have come from somewhere. Often they've come from very early childhood, back when things were black and white to us because we were too young to fully understand what was happening in our environments, and they came about to keep us safe. Absolutely everybody in the world does this and if your parents are happy your beliefs will be happy, if your parents are struggling, then our beliefs are often negative - and because children are egocentric (believe the world revolves around them), they are often negative beliefs about themselves.

People with BPD, from what I've read, are often struggling at heart with a difficulty deciding whether they are good or bad. This can come from being treated in a sometimes idolised way, a sometimes healthy balanced way, and a sometimes overly critical way, as a result of a parent's moods shifting. The child takes on the beliefs of the parent and simply can't decide which of these roles is theirs - are they good, bad, normal? This leads to the identity uncertainty that a lot of people with BPD describe. They're just not sure who they are. And it also leads to 'splitting' of the self and others (people are seen as either all good or all bad).

So it might be good to explore your childhood to think about how some of these beliefs have come about so you can decide for yourself what beliefs you think aren't useful to you anymore and challenge them. That doesn't pass the buck to your dad, or to anyone in your family - we're all human and we all have problems, I'm sure your parents did the best they could. But at some point you may have picked up some unhelpful beliefs from the family home that are making things challenging for you now.