Can bipolar mimic thyroid disease?

S

spacingspaces

Can you get physical symptoms when in a depressive or manic state that mimics thyroid disease?

megirl

megirl

They can both have anxiety type symptoms I guess thyroid disease could make the bipolar symptoms worse, usually I guess while to diagnose either they need to rule out other health issues that could be to blame

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

I'm on Lithium for my bipolar as a mood stabiliser. Lithium can effect the thyroid. I'm ow on thyroxine.

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Lithium permanently effected my thyroid. Even though I no longer take it, my thyroid is damaged and I need to take thyroxine for the rest of my life.

E

EstherRose94

I always understood it the other way: thyroid disease can mimic/ be a cause of bipolar or depression

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

Can you get physical symptoms when in a depressive or manic state that mimics thyroid disease?
It does happen. My Bipolar symptoms, when in crisis, looked like a case of thyroid storm or hyperthyroidism to one doctor. I have also heard that many Bipolar patients have at least one close relative with a thyroid disorder, so there seems to be some connection with the two diseases.