• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

S

secret1992

Edit/Delete this post Report post Reply with quote

I'm 17 years old, I got diagnosed with depression in July of last year, I've been suffering from it since I was 13. I had a mental health assessment this morning and the mental health worker said there was nothing wrong with me, which would be great news if I could believe it. The only person who listens to me is my counsellor and she's not much help (in all honesty) no one else takes my depression or anything else I say seriously, I have to wait until April when I turn 18 until I can go onto anti depressants which seem to be the only way out. There's a lot more to it, which is why I went for an assessment, I have really disturbing images in my head recently an image of a little boy in a cupboard completely naked with burns and boils all over his body just came into my head and it came out of no where and shocked me and I was quite scared. Also imaging my boyfriends friend coming into our house and raping me with several object such as knife etc, I also have thoughts about people, especially strangers, which are really harsh and sometime shock me. I wrote all these down and tried showing the mental health worker but he said he'd read it later. I want to know where I can go were people will take me seriously and listen to me and will help me.

P

pinkmetalgirl

Hi,

I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time at the moment - what your struggling with sounds really horrible. I know from experience that it's really hard when professionals don't listen to you or understand what it is that you're struggling with. Back when I was at uni i found it really difficult to get people to take me seriously too.

It's great that you have a counsellor that listens (even if it's not really that helpful) - is there anything more they could do, though. A good counsellor that you can trust with these things can really help you work them through, make sense of why they're there and find ways of dealing with them. For many, they can be as helpful as full on mental health professionals (not least because you have a decent amount of time with them). If they feel out of their depth, aren't really experienced in helping people who are struggling with disturbing thoughts/images - it might be worth talking with them about whether they're the right person to help, or whether there's someone else that might be more helpful. They might have some suggestions of other agencies. At the very least they'll know that you need something more from the counselling sessions than you're getting.

It would be lovely if the mental health services were good at giving support when you realise you need it - but they really are patchy in this respect. Keep on communicating with them, your counsellor and your GP. You could also contact a young person's advocacy service (http://www.nyas.net - they can help you find out what your rights are and help you get the services you need.

In the meantime, though, there are probably some things that you can do to find ways of coping with these feelings, thoughts and images. For me, with the voices I hear, it really helped to try and work out what triggered them or made them worse. It can be really difficult at first, but there's usually some kind of pattern in my experience (emotions, situations, times of day). For me its been stress, feeling bad about myself and feeling unsafe in general. When I was at uni it also included times I felt good about myself (cus I felt bad that I felt good, if you can understand that)

There are ways of distracting yourself from disturbing images, grounding techniques that you can try to help yourself feel safe if you're struggling with anxiety because of this. There are things that help with feeling depressed too. It's not easy, but it is possible - especially if you can get your counsellor on board (they should be able to help you find some strategies that work for you).

I really hope that you get the support you need. Take really good care of yourself (and keep talking!)

S

secret1992

Thanks for the reply pinkmetalgirl.
I have a doctors appointment in a few days I'm going to try and get another assessment. The images I only have occasionally and the thoughts aren't 'disturbing' as such, I don't think about murder etc, there more like horrible thoughts about strangers. I have my counselling tonight at 7pm so I'm going to see what she says. She's not qualified to give a diagnosis but like you said she could direct me in the right way.
Thanks again for the reply. I'll have a look at that website now.

P

pinkmetalgirl

No probs :D

I didn't mean murderous thoughts - for me disturbing thoughts are ones that cause you distress. Hope I didn't cause offence by using the word :unsure:

Glad you've got an appt with your doc. The writing things down thing can really help for appointments like that. I found writing a list of bullet points was the most helpful, as they don't always read long bits of text (although having the long bits really does help clarify things if they do take the time to read it)

Good luck with your counsellor - I hope they have some good suggestions/ideas

Take care

x PMG

S

secret1992

You didn't cause offense, people of different ideas of what 'disturbing' is.
My counsellor tried finding me some leaflets for places that might help me but there were none so she's going to talk to people she works with and see what they suggest. She said if there's any problems at the doctors she'll write a report about me to them.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there and welcome to the forum, it's good to have you here.

It can be tough going through the transition to the adult mental health services. I've never heard particularly good things about the experience. I live in fear of people falling through the gaps at this point. One thing to do however is to keep seeing your gp regularly, remember that they often hold the purse strings and so have a lot of clout. As suggested it can be usefull to take bullet points written down so that you can give them a feel for what you are experiencing. If you can, tell them what you feel would help and try to find out if there are any support groups operating locally- mental illness can be incredibly isolating.

Do keep posting here, there's always someone listening!

Take care,
Honey