• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can anyone shed so light on this please?

L

lizzie g

Right, In my introduction I mentioned that I have a couple of what I consider to be mental health issues that I am very embarressed about.
I'm not sure where they feature in this forum so I thought I would ask for a bit of advice.
I'm not expecting a diagnosis or anything but I would like to know if anyone else suffers from what I do.

I talk to myself. A lot! I can have whole conversations with myself everyday. Some of it is about stuff that is going on in my life and other stuff whilst based on people & events in my life is completely made up by me. Example, I'll pretend to have a conversation with my sister about the guy I'm going out with (I'm not going out with him, he's a friend of a friend that I thinks quite cute.)
Or just recently I'll pretend that I'm going to a festival with my friends. Instead of just thinking through scenarios of what this might be like (which I imagine most people might do) I start acting & talking them out load.
I'll pretend I'm having arguements with people I don't like (interestingly I'm always on top of the arguements, something that would never happen in real life)
I also sometimes live out fantasy scenarios. Mostly based on books I've read or films. These I can understand a bit more as a way of escaping. Though I do get half way through realise what a wally i'm making of myself then stop!

This makes me sound like a freak I know. But at 25 I should be over playing lets pretend with myself surely.
It's got better as I've got older but hasn't gone away & I wish it would. I hate to think what the neighbours think hearing me chatting away to myself!!!
I have tried to stop but it seems to be something I always fall back into!

Please be kind as this something I'm very sensitive about. I just need somehelp with this one.

Thanks xx

S

*Sapphire*

Hi lizzie g

In my experience alot of people talk to themselves to a lesser or greater degree! I believe it is very normal and I have read articles that suggest that it is actually good for your mental health because it allows you to take a look at yourself and better understand your feelings and behaviours.
Talking to yourself can let you escape into the realms of fantasy (some do it with daydreams, or just imagining it) which can be fun and helps to release tension. I guess if it is excessive and uncontrollable then it could be a problem.

It can also be a good way of preparing to deal with a social situation, saying what you might say, then saying how you think someone might respond then you replying.

If you look at children they often talk to themselves and if it isn't excessive some say it is influential in developing good speech, imagination and self awareness.

I've talked to myself, and used to do all of the above, I used to have a real hang up about it, but now after speaking with some trusted others I realise that I am far from alone with it! I have stopped doing it so much because I am out alot more, I live with someone and life is quite full for me, but when I was living on my own, I did it sometimes just to make some noise in my place! But if I am anticipating a situation I feel anxious about then yes I will rehearse it by talking it through to myself, or if I need to motivate myself I will say to myself 'right Sapphire time to get the housework done, it will be over in an hour!'. Some people think these things, some people talk them, in moderation neither is worse than the other. So please don't beat yourself up about it as long as it is in moderation! :)

Last edited:
ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Lizzie,
You're definitely not alone with this!
I talk to myself all the time. It's only occasionally embarassing if someone's actually listening, lol. ;)
I do it now as I'm alone, and I did it when I was married and running a household. My mother did it all the time so maybe I got it from her as a normal thing to do (?).
In any case, if it does no harm to you or your functioning in the world...then it must be okay, IMO.
:flowers:

S

*Sapphire*

I caught myself talking to myself this morning actually! I did not realise I was doing it for a while! I was rehearsing a conversation I am apprehensive about having. I feel much calmer for having done it because I now know what I want to say and am aware of what some of the responses might be! :D

J

Jolene

Hi lizzy

I have been talking to myself quite alot recently there's was no one home when I got home today, I started talking about what I have been doing today. When I hear voices, I start shouting at the words and conversation I hear. Sometimes I talk to myself at night or laughing to myself.
:grouphug:

S

sleeplessinuk

I'm so glad someone else does this! I'm a 30 year old mother of two and still do it!! It's as if i've never grown up and still play pretend games but only on my own haha
As long as it's harmless I don't mind. I've always wanted to be an actress so maybe it has something to do with that....

Cal

Cal

Founding Member
Don't worry about it, i often talk to myself (not often out loud but sometimes) and do pretend conversations that i'm never going to have. The only weird thing i get sometimes is when a part of me disagrees (hard to explain) and i'll end up arguing with myself

E

Edinb9/5

It's such a relief to realise I'm not the only person that talks to themselves - it's not something people want to admit so it can really feel like you're the only one who does it.
I have been talking to myself ever since I can remember and can't seem to stop - usually it's completely made up scenarios and I talk out things that I want to happen or if someone has been horrible to me I pretend I'm having the arguement again, with me saying all the things I don't have the guts to in reality.
Sometimes when I'm feeling depressed I feel like it helps me but other times I wish I could live in the 'real world' and stop relying on these imaginery conversations!

S

*Sapphire*

Ha, I've done that!
A few weeks ago I was watching Jeremy Kyle, and there was someone on there that reminded me of someone I knew who I have alot of unresolved issues and feelings about. I imagined what it would be like to have them on Jeremy Kyle and started saying/sometimes shouting everything that has been bubbling inside me for years to them (expletives uncensored!). I found it quite therapeutic in fact! I then told my therapist about it and we explored the fantasy and now I don't have those feelings towards them anymore! It really helped! :)

dib4uk

dib4uk

I always talk to myself, regardless of how old I've been. lizzie g- its normal to have conversation with oneself outloud.

Often my mother comes into my room and says "who are you talking to"? I often reply the "tv"

Cal done that as well- I can have arguments with myself and reply in other dialects.

Tis called life. And that makes us all normal. :) :D

A

Ainsworth

i talk to myself all the time, its never really bothered me. its the only time i make sense to be honest and speak freely without saying the wrong thing, its something like a practice run of sorts for gaining social skills, or thats why i think i do it.

i also argue with them too

someone gave me a T-shirt that had the phrase '9 out of 10 voices in my head are laughing at you' loved that T :LOL:

J

Jolene

Talking to myself

Hi peeple

I have recently started talking to myself again i did it in the street yesterday peeple around must of thought i had an imaginary friend when i do it in the street i try calling someone.
I talk to myself at home to thats supposed be normal then my mum hears me, last night the voices were strong tho. Saying things like there's something going on with me and this bloke who i think has just left his gf. I couldn't quite make out if someone was actualy talking.
Then i hear things like I'm a whore then i saw this bloke before he was always single when we saw each other. I don't think it was actualy anyone saying anything i often think is it the psychosis or is someone calling me these names. :mad:
Just sick and tired of being accused of shit = <

J

Jolene

Voices

Hi remarkable

I also argue with voices i did last night

I herd a voice say " I'm a liar" I replied " So someone who has an illness has to take meds to make it to stop"

Then it's things like "she's a psycho-path"

I hate it it's been going on for nearly 2 years it's realy horrible

Sometimes i wish it would go out without taking meds : - (

It's still there :scared:

A

Ainsworth

hey jolene,

i know the feeling of wanting to make them stop.

as a child i had the voices really strongly to the point they would make me do things. if i didnt do it i would die, as they would tell me that.

its very frightening sometimes

i dont know what to suggest but maybe try and not be soo worried about it (yes i know its easy to say). there are lots of us out there

stress is a big factor in all these things and its certainly stressing you out big time at the moment.