Can anyone relate to this or have a clue why this happens to me?

S

spacingspaces

All i officially know that i have is severe social anxiety but i suspect i have more issues going on too. Anyways when i am at my lowest my appearance completely changes for the worst. I know when ppl are down and stuff they obviously look a bit more stressed out... etc but my appearance changes VERY drastically. I look like i aged about 20 years and then when i start feeling better i start looking good again. I never took hard drugs but if you've ever seen them before and after photos of like meth users. Before they take the meth they look young and healthy and then after it they look completely different? Thats how much i change and i don't even take drugs. This is really bothering me as it messes up my self esteem big time and i don't leave my house when i'm low because i don't want anyone seeing me looking like that. I've been searching for the answer for years and i can't figure out why this happens still.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Are you sure that its not that you see yourself that way and others don't. I think we all look at ourselves differently when we are down a lot. I know that my face appears to have more lines and to have a down turned mouth. But others don't see it much.

S

spacingspaces

Are you sure that its not that you see yourself that way and others don't. I think we all look at ourselves differently when we are down a lot. I know that my face appears to have more lines and to have a down turned mouth. But others don't see it much.
No it's definitely not that. My face changes, it gets bloated, dry flaky skin, extremely pale, eyes get buggy and bloodshot. Skin gets really red (looks like rosacea). More wrinkles too. I know that it would make more sense that i just see myself as looking worse when im down but trust me it's not that. I have considered that before but i know for a fact it's not that.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Could there be something physically wrong? i hope you can work out the reason and get help for it :hug:

you deserve to be helped :hug:

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The only thing I can think of is maybe you aren't getting enough sleep or proper nutrition. Maybe when you're feeling well you take better care of yourself. Skin issues and bloodshot eyes sure sound like lack of sleep and dehydration to me. I have seen children who look like what you described.

S

spacingspaces

Could there be something physically wrong? i hope you can work out the reason and get help for it :hug:

you deserve to be helped :hug:
Thanks, i've had tests done but i seem to be healthy and also when antidepressants are working for me my physical appearance improves a lot. I start to look healthy again but they only work about 25% of the time.

S

spacingspaces

The only thing I can think of is maybe you aren't getting enough sleep or proper nutrition. Maybe when you're feeling well you take better care of yourself. Skin issues and bloodshot eyes sure sound like lack of sleep and dehydration to me. I have seen children who look like what you described.
Yeah i think that is part of it but not the full cause because theres been times when ive been low and i've consciously worked on eating healthy.. etc yet the symptoms only improved a little bit.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah i think that is part of it but not the full cause because theres been times when ive been low and i've consciously worked on eating healthy.. etc yet the symptoms only improved a little bit.
Stress takes an incredible toll on the body. You may need to go the extra mile at those low times. Simply eating right and getting 8 hours of sleep may not be quite enough. In any case, it might be a good idea to mention this to your pcp.

S

spacingspaces

Stress takes an incredible toll on the body. You may need to go the extra mile at those low times. Simply eating right and getting 8 hours of sleep may not be quite enough. In any case, it might be a good idea to mention this to your pcp.
I have mentioned it to them but there doesn't seem to be much they can do. Theres a psychiatrist near me that ive looked up who focuses on the relation between mental health issues and physical health issues so i might go see her. In my opinion it is stress or some other mental health issue causing it because of the toll it takes on the body as you said, especially since antidepressants (when working) make me look like myself again.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
In my opinion it is stress or some other mental health issue causing it because of the toll it takes on the body as you said, especially since antidepressants (when working) make me look like myself again.
Exactly what I was thinking. I think it's great if anyone can find a doctor who takes a holistic approach.

S

spacingspaces

Exactly what I was thinking. I think it's great if anyone can find a doctor who takes a holistic approach.
Can you think of any other mental health issues that take a huge physical impact on your body. I know all do but some do more than others. I was thinking bipolar since it happens in stages for me but then again i don't really get this highs of bipolar.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Can you think of any other mental health issues that take a huge physical impact on your body. I know all do but some do more than others. I was thinking bipolar since it happens in stages for me but then again i don't really get this highs of bipolar.
I have bipolar, and I don't have manic highs anymore. Illnesses can change over time, as the body changes and ages. Really, just about every mental illness I have heard of causes extreme stress and disruption to people's lives. Stress is a killer.

S

spacingspaces

I have bipolar, and I don't have manic highs anymore. Illnesses can change over time, as the body changes and ages. Really, just about every mental illness I have heard of causes extreme stress and disruption to people's lives. Stress is a killer.
Hopefully this psychiatrist will be able to help me. The psychiatrists i've been seeing aren't even full psychiatrists so i don't think they can diagnose me with anything plus the appointments are always like 6 weeks apart.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hopefully this psychiatrist will be able to help me. The psychiatrists i've been seeing aren't even full psychiatrists so i don't think they can diagnose me with anything plus the appointments are always like 6 weeks apart.
I wish you luck with the new psych doc.

6 weeks between appointments is a long time. Doctors and therapists have trouble remembering us just from one week to the next. Around here, they're overbooked. And it isn't very helpful to you when they need you to re-introduce yourself and list your symptoms again every time you visit. An awful lot of people are misdiagnosed and over-medicated.

S

spacingspaces

I wish you luck with the new psych doc.

6 weeks between appointments is a long time. Doctors and therapists have trouble remembering us just from one week to the next. Around here, they're overbooked. And it isn't very helpful to you when they need you to re-introduce yourself and list your symptoms again every time you visit. An awful lot of people are misdiagnosed and over-medicated.
Im gonna go to a private psychiatrist. It's a lot of money but if they can help me it would be more than worth it. The mental health services in my country are horrible as well. I live in Ireland we we have one of the highest numbers of mental health problems in Europe yet our services are one of the worst too.

S

spacingspaces

Isn't it ironic... And every time I see pictures of Ireland I think how heavenly it looks, especially compared to the places I have lived.
Irelands far from heavenly. I mean it's a pretty safe country to live in though but a very backwards country too. Not modern enough and that shows in how mental health is handled over here.

S

spacingspaces

Irelands far from heavenly. I mean it's a pretty safe country to live in though but a very backwards country too. Not modern enough and that shows in how mental health is handled over here.
And don't get me wrong we have some really nice landscapes and stuff like that but it is overrated in my opinion.

HauntedWitch

HauntedWitch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
And don't get me wrong we have some really nice landscapes and stuff like that but it is overrated in my opinion.
I had to laugh when I read that, and I mean it in a good way. But you want to talk about over-rated...I think the US, where I live, is about as overrated as it gets -- 'greatest country in the world' and all that hype. JMO though.

And I will take safe with nice landscapes any day, compared to scummy overdeveloped cities like ones where I have lived. It isn't safe to even take a walk to your own mailbox.