• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can anyone help???

M

mrsclue

Life at the mo is not fab (once again!) for years I've been self harming and suffering bouts of depression. Now its back with a vengance, but is it depression?? I've been aware for the past year or so that its every few months i get a big slump, it feels like somewhere in my brain someone's pressed a self destruct button and no matter how hard I try i cant escape it-well i do but it can take anywhere from a few days to weeks.
I have an appointment with my doc next week but i dont know what to say to him, i really hate the idea of living my life on anti d's because i know i can go months feeling fine.
At the moment I feel i'm living my life through someone elses eyes and I'm scared. Scared that this is gonna be my life forever. Am i always gonna be on anti d's or is there another way out. Is there something other than depression that could be wrong?
Does anyone on here understand how I'm feeling and have any advice on how i could approach my doc would be helpful. I'm really thinking of canceling another appointment with him just because i'm scared of anti d's. I want there to be another dianoses not just-o your depressed.
Thanks for listening and i hope i've explained things well.:)

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

*hugs*

I know exactly how you're feeling, I felt like this for a long time.

I was originally diagnosed with depression, but was then diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Your depression may be the down of bipolar disorder, but then again, it could be depression. I can't diagnose.

Sorry, that wasn't much help.

Emily.xx

schiz01

schiz01

Meds are far from perfect for a lot of people and the side affects can be a real pain.I have tried them all over the years with little success.
There are other things you can do to help like acupuncture ,diet,exercise,vitamins,talk therapy ect ...

There can be medical reasons that can cause depression ...your doc can do blood tests to rule these out.

Last edited:
M

mrsclue

Thank you all for your replies . Its nice to know your not alone! Is it easy to get your doc to do a blood test to rule out anything else? my experience of them so far is drugs drugs and more drugs and I dont want them lol!:)

schiz01

schiz01

Hi again...best thing to do is hunt around for a doc that is happy to treat/help you with out meds......my doc specializes in orthomolecular medicine and doesnt push meds like some docs do...she treats me with a combination of herbs and vitamins...i also have regular therapy ....blood tests are simple enough ...my doc actually discovered that i have a rare blood disease (myloproliferarative desease) that other docs had missed
best of luck and dont give up