• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can anyone help?

W

wizzy

Hi, I need you!

I have Bipolar and have had various and sustained treatments over the years. I have a wonderful partner who is amazingly supportive but I just keep letting her down and am afraid I'll lose her. I promise her that I will stop being so self indulgent and support HER sometimes but I seem to forget! I just get so wrapped up in how I feel about situations and how they will effect me.

Do any of you, from backgrounds in therapy, get so self involved or am I just crap?

Wizzy XxX:(

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
:) the simple answer is yes wizzy - I do get so self-involved. I have a wonderful partner too and I have put her through all kinds of s*&t over the years so am much worse than you. There's no simple solution to this as to some extent it goes with the territory of having a MH issue. I try to do the best I can when I'm well but that's never really going to repay what I take and owe. But the worst thing is beating yourself up and feeling guilty about it because that is highly likely to make you worse and more ill which in turn will be worse for your partner.

Nick.

T

Twylight

Yep, I have schizoprenia and go into psychosis
I was self involved for many years, untill i fully understood it and accepted it

P

Pipa

I'd be interested to know what kind of 'talking therapies' you may have had - yeah, I know they're a cliche, but I am a firm believer in them. There are many people out there who live with bi-polar and other MHissues, it quite often has less to do with the illness itself, more how you deal with it that counts. Yes, it's a common trait that you will get caught up in other people's issues, but learning to take a step back from that, accepting that you cannot change people or the world!, is hugely cathartic. I hope you're talking to someone, good luck