Can anyone help me????

F

fightback_ocd

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I have been suffering from a large number of mental illness : OCD, SOCIAL PHOBIA, GAD, TRICHOTILLOMANIA, BODY DYSMORPHIA, PANIC DISORDERS and AGORAPHOBIA for as long as I can remember(I have been officially diagnosed by psychiatrist). All these run in my family, so, I have inherited them genetically. I have always been a bright student and currently pursuing MBBS(first year). When I moved to the medical college, I was subjected to bullying by the seniors. That along with some other factors(mainly being my OCD and SOCIAL PHOBIA) exaggerated my symptoms to such an extent that I started having panic attacks Everytime I entered the college.College became a dreadful place for me.The terror that accompanied me at the morning remained till dismissal. Due to repeated panic attacks day in and day out, I developed a fear of panic attacks.(that's what you call AGORAPHOBIA). Gradually I started avoiding college altogether. This , actually, reinforced my symptoms and I started avoiding everything related to the college( even the road which led to it!!!!!).
All these have led to a loss of 5-6months of my college life.
Presently, I am trying to restart my college life. But, before that I need to inform my college administration about the reason for my absence. And that is way too embarrassing and frightening.(due to the stigma and also due to GAD and SOCIAL PHOBIA)
Currently, I am in a very helpless situation and don't know what to do.
If anyone among you can advise it would be of great help.Looking forward to your replies

exyz

exyz

Hello again,
I replied on one of your other threads. If you have been away from studies for so long, you may need to resit the year.
If you see the HOD or student services, they may want a letter about your condition from your psychiatrist or doctor.
You really need to see student support before you go to the HOD, they will talk you through your options.
:)

Poir0t

Poir0t

@fightback_OCD: Where are you from? UK or USA? How are people at a medical college bullying you? Please explain what they are doing.

F

fightback_ocd

Hello again,
I replied on one of your other threads. If you have been away from studies for so long, you may need to resit the year.
If you see the HOD or student services, they may want a letter about your condition from your psychiatrist or doctor.
You really need to see student support before you go to the HOD, they will talk you through your options.
:)
Hello exyz,
Let me ask you one thing . If I have to repeat an year due to unavoidable circumstances , is it a bad thing.???? . Because Everytime the thought of repeating an year comes to my mind, I feel like being a failure; I feel like I will let my family down. I feel as if Everytime a relative asks me about the reason for my repeat year, I will have to disclose my illness to them.
This way , everyone (even my neighbors, my friends and every single person on this planet!!!!) would come to know about my mental abnormalities. The thing which I have tried to hide even from my parents, would be out there in front of everyone. Moreover, my friends would advance to the next year and I would be left rotting in the same year. All these thoughts are just adding to my distress. But, again, I can't help it. I tried my level best to mend my problems, but situation had become so much grave, that mere will power could not have helped it.
I would like to know your opinion in this regard.

exyz

exyz

Why you have to resit the year is your own business, and your College's business. Bluntly, if people are pushing you to talk about why, then it is ok to close down the conversation and just say "I had a health problem". No need to disclose further. Is your family of a culture that promotes success above all else?

You are training to be a medic remember. I'm thinking perhaps that you are not USA or UK because of the way you talk about "mental abnormalities".

As a future medic, you must know that almost everyone during their lifetime will have a mental health challenge..... just as they might get tonsillitis.

It's a health issue. You need to start seeing it like that. You are not a criminal ok?

If people have a problem then it says a lot about their own mind set, these people should be supportive of you not critical.

My niece has just completed her second year at University having had to re do the year. She was unwell mentally, my own view is that it was stress related. It does not make her a failure in her relatives eyes at all. She has the courage to give it another go. :) She seems to be doing ok.

How would the neighbours know? Are your family going to put a notice up? No they aren't. Respectfully, you are overthinking things that have not happened yet. You've been out of College for months now, if you don't act now and get College on your side, then you will be deemed to have left the course.

Start off by making those appointments Monday. Small steps. All best wishes :flowers:

Last edited:
F

fightback_ocd

Why you have to resit the year is your own business, and your College's business. Bluntly, if people are pushing you to talk about why, then it is ok to close down the conversation and just say "I had a health problem". No need to disclose further. Is your family of a culture that promotes success above all else?

You are training to be a medic remember. I'm thinking perhaps that you are not USA or UK because of the way you talk about "mental abnormalities".

As a future medic, you must know that almost everyone during their lifetime will have a mental health challenge..... just as they might get tonsillitis.

It's a health issue. You need to start seeing it like that. You are not a criminal ok?

If people have a problem then it says a lot about their own mind set, these people should be supportive of you not critical.

My niece has just completed her second year at University having had to re do the year. She was unwell mentally, my own view is that it was stress related. It does not make her a failure in her relatives eyes at all. She has the courage to give it another go. :) She seems to be doing ok.

How would the neighbours know? Are your family going to put a notice up? No they aren't. Respectfully, you are overthinking things that have not happened yet. You've been out of College for months now, if you don't act now and get College on your side, then you will be deemed to have left the course.

Start off by making those appointments Monday. Small steps. All best wishes :flowers:
Yes exyz, You are right.
I think it's my OCD that is making me feel the unnecessary guilt for not attending the classes and also for repeating an year ( if I need to do so). Over thinking is just fuelling my anxiety. I also appreciate the fact that the path to recovery would be a gradual process and I need to take one step at a time without thinking too much about the future events. So, first of all, I need to inform the college about all these things. It' s already the mid of Sunday. Tomorrow in the morning itself, I shall go to college and do the needful.
Thank you for wishing good luck to me😊😊😊

F

Floris654321

I am not sure if I can help you, you've got lots of phobias. It's awful that you get bullied for having mental problems. I've seen it happen before people getting bullied when having panic attacks. It is pathetic. I wish you all the best since that is just awful!