• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

can any body give me some advice, please

S

seaview

hello, I have terrible panic attacks, can't get out alone or stay alone at night, as when I get the panic attack i feel very ill and think that i am going to faint or pass out, everything goes round and i go very fainting. Has anybody got any tips on how to cope with this at night especially?
Thanks

darren

darren

Control Your Breathing - During panic or anxiety attacks you often hyperventilate. If you practice taking slow, deep breaths it can help settle your nerves. Try breathing in deeply, then hold for 4-6 seconds while gently telling yourself to "relax", then exhale completely.

Focus - "On what?" you say. Well, really almost anything "other" then on fighting the anxiety. Try, counting backwards, count the ceiling tiles, play a game of solitaire, do anything that takes your mind off your panic attack. Although this will help in the moment it really isn't a long term solution that deals with the root of the problem.

This Too Shall Pass - Even in the thick of a panic attack it can help if you try to remember it won't last forever. Panic attacks average 20 minutes long and few go beyond an hour in duration. Simply seeing the light at the end of the tunnel can help you make the situation feel less scary.

Don't Run - By leaving the location where your panic attack occurs can build an association with a particular situation, object or environment leading to the development of a phobia. Stick it out while trying some of the other tips in this article.

You Are What You Eat - If you are prone to panic attacks or anxiety you may be highly sensitive to caffeine. Try some decaf coffee, herbal tea, Coke Zero and cut back on the chocolate.

:)

S

seaview

thanks

Control Your Breathing - During panic or anxiety attacks you often hyperventilate. If you practice taking slow, deep breaths it can help settle your nerves. Try breathing in deeply, then hold for 4-6 seconds while gently telling yourself to "relax", then exhale completely.

Focus - "On what?" you say. Well, really almost anything "other" then on fighting the anxiety. Try, counting backwards, count the ceiling tiles, play a game of solitaire, do anything that takes your mind off your panic attack. Although this will help in the moment it really isn't a long term solution that deals with the root of the problem.

This Too Shall Pass - Even in the thick of a panic attack it can help if you try to remember it won't last forever. Panic attacks average 20 minutes long and few go beyond an hour in duration. Simply seeing the light at the end of the tunnel can help you make the situation feel less scary.

Don't Run - By leaving the location where your panic attack occurs can build an association with a particular situation, object or environment leading to the development of a phobia. Stick it out while trying some of the other tips in this article.

You Are What You Eat - If you are prone to panic attacks or anxiety you may be highly sensitive to caffeine. Try some decaf coffee, herbal tea, Coke Zero and cut back on the chocolate.

:)
thanks, that should be helpful, i will try those tips with my next panic attack.:clap:

C

CrashtestMummy

try circuler breathing where you breath in for 4 hold for 4 let out for 4 and do this 4 times then next cycle breath in for 5 hold for 5 let out for 5and repeat 5 times and so on it really helps focus your mind and reduces the feeling of fainting caused buy expelling all your co2 xx

S

seaview

thanks once again

try circuler breathing where you breath in for 4 hold for 4 let out for 4 and do this 4 times then next cycle breath in for 5 hold for 5 let out for 5and repeat 5 times and so on it really helps focus your mind and reduces the feeling of fainting caused buy expelling all your co2 xx
Thanks I will try that advice, a few more people have given me similar advice, but yours seems different in the way of counting, adding up one numbrer all the time, I will try this one properly because the fainting and dizzy symptoms are very strong but I don't realize I am over breathing. Up to what number am I supposed to count? I mean to breath in and out?
Thanks
Josie

Last edited:
C

CrashtestMummy

its entirly dependent on what you feel like I find 9 for me is effective but other peaple go higher some peaple dont need to I have a feeling I did in yoga class once years ago ?? but I know its refered to as circuler breathing
hope it helps one of the reson you feel dizzy is as you hyperventolate due to the rising panic you expelle to much CO2 and your brain does not like this as you needs a little and then you pass out and recover

good luck and hope this really helps xxx:clap::grouphug::welcome:

Rosepoet

Rosepoet

distraction

hello i have panic moments too. i carry mobile and have a friend i ring if i feel like i am losing it.

D

Dashem

HI

Lots of good advice on previous ones, some good reading 4 u.. Deep breaths, slowly, from the stomach up, find something to focus on take your mind of it, example: one day whilst out shopping i started getting a really bad attack, so to control it i focused on buying some candles, i was in a large dept store wandering around not knowing where they were, so i started thinking, right what colour do i want? what size? shape? price? i know it sounds a bit simple, but by doing that it helped me 2 slowly take my mind off the attack and slow down the racing thouhgts and paranoia i was having..its all about control, its your mind and body so you control it, dont let it conrtol you!!
practise simple little exercises at home whilst in a safe enviroment, remem one step at a time, practise makes perfect...

Hope this is of use to you or anyone else reading..:drool:

T

Talith

Hi, I was once advised by a therapist to hold my right arm straight out in front of me with the hand extended and then slowly make the hand into a fist. And slowly make the hand in and out of a fist for as long as it takes for you to feel better. Try and deep breathe at the same time. It really helped me. I've suffered from these pesky attacks for over 20 years now and I take any help I can get!