• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can Anxiety affect only one side of body?!

S

Sammy2020

I’ve been like it about a month now. It’s a very weird feeling down my left side but is now starting to affect my right arm & cheek. I’m so worried as I have to wait until 19th March to see a neurologist :( I can’t possibly cope that long not knowing what’s causing these persistent symptoms everyday :(
Have you been to neurologist?

S

Sammy2020

This thread has been so incredibly reassuring to read through. I had my first panic attack in June 2019. I was shivering, dissociating, and I actually ended up harming myself the first couple times it happened because I was very confused about what was happening. Since then I have had multiple panic attacks a day at times, sometimes one a day, and sometimes I get a couple weeks of a break. There are many many days where my right eye will twitch on and off all day, and my right leg and right hand shivers. My right hand feels so clumsy, and I will drop things at times, just in my right hand. My right leg muscles are always stiff, and feel extra clumsy compared to my left leg. My tongue feels like it's clumsy too! I was so relieved to see someone else mention that. I get these body jolts on and off every single day, regardless of whether I've had a break from the attacks. But the thing that has concerned me the most is that ever since my first attack, the right side of my body will feel extremely.... Extra? During an attack, after, and sometimes all day. The "strange tingling" or "strange feeling" that others have described is the best way I can describe it. It's literally the right side of my head, all the way down to my right foot. I will also experience dizziness, nausea, and the feeling that I'm going to pass out, before a panic episode, during, and after. At first, it would leave me completely exhausted the next day, but I suppose I'm just used to it by now. I have 4 young children and it's so, so hard to avoid triggers. A few weeks ago I began to have a fullness in my ears, as well as ringing, and oddly I've had a weird pressure sensation in my eyes and an increase in eye floaters. Before reading this thread, I didn't think to associate any of this with the anxiety, but I'm really wondering now. I of course have been to numerous doctors who have all said that it sounds related to my PTSD. I have really not worried that it's more than that until recently, when I began to wonder if I have ALS or MS, or if these are really some kind of mini stroke (because of the craziness in only my right side) or seizures of some kind. I finally have a referral for a neurologist. I will definitely report back once I've gone, because I know how reassuring it's been for me to read reports from others in this thread. But I'm really feeling SO encouraged by all of these stories, and I'm hoping that my news will be just as boring!
How are you feeling now
Do you feel fatigued ?

P

peacefulhermit

Hello,

I wanted to respond to this issue because reading the stories here has helped me so much as I have been experiencing physical symptoms over the past several weeks.

I started having strange muscle cramps when in bed at night and because I was feeling this mostly in my back I thought it might be something in one of my organs (kidneys possibly). I spoke with the doctor and after an assessment they believed is was muscular.

About a week later I woke up thinking I was having a heart attack. The left side of my body was numb and my heart was racing. I was in complete panic. I got out of bed, had a shower and stayed up the rest of the night in distress. I went to my doctor in the morning and after another assessment she referred me to a neurologist.

I continued to have similar experiences, mostly affecting the left side of the body, but sometimes having strange feelings in my right hand and right foot. The left side of my face has been tingling, mostly around the eyes and nose, for a few weeks now--on and off but mostly on.

The neurologist believes this is anxiety related but ordered MRI tests of the brain and neck to make sure I was not having a stroke. I am a 42 year old male in good health so he didn't seem too worried about it but wanted to make sure.

The tests came back yesterday that all is fine with my brain and the blood vessels of the neck and head. It's interesting, but the moment I got the good news the symptoms flared up again and my left side was buzzing all day.

My doctors and psychologist believe I am experiencing the physical symptoms of anxiety.

I wanted to share this here because I had no idea that stress could manifest in this way and I was extremely troubled when this started happening. The stories on this thread helped me enormously as I awaited the results of the tests.

I am relieved that it seems there is nothing lethal immediately threatening my physical body, but I also know that I have to deal with whatever is going on psychologically because the panic that my body has been in is no joke and I want to be healthy physically and mentally.

I have been very worried that I am dying of something (heart attack, stroke, ALS, MS..) my mind has been going wild trying to understand what is happening in my body.

After many visits to the doctor and several tests I do believe that my issues are arising from a mental/emotional disturbance. I have been uncovering some past traumatic experiences in therapy, I have also been getting sober for the past six months, in addition to a few other extremely stressful life events, not to mention the global pandemic we are all facing.

I know it helped me understanding that my alarming physical symptoms could arise from mental/emotional issues.

I hope this story relates to someone and is able to bring some calm while things are being resolved.

Loobypie

Loobypie

Hello,

I wanted to respond to this issue because reading the stories here has helped me so much as I have been experiencing physical symptoms over the past several weeks.

I started having strange muscle cramps when in bed at night and because I was feeling this mostly in my back I thought it might be something in one of my organs (kidneys possibly). I spoke with the doctor and after an assessment they believed is was muscular.

About a week later I woke up thinking I was having a heart attack. The left side of my body was numb and my heart was racing. I was in complete panic. I got out of bed, had a shower and stayed up the rest of the night in distress. I went to my doctor in the morning and after another assessment she referred me to a neurologist.

I continued to have similar experiences, mostly affecting the left side of the body, but sometimes having strange feelings in my right hand and right foot. The left side of my face has been tingling, mostly around the eyes and nose, for a few weeks now--on and off but mostly on.

The neurologist believes this is anxiety related but ordered MRI tests of the brain and neck to make sure I was not having a stroke. I am a 42 year old male in good health so he didn't seem too worried about it but wanted to make sure.

The tests came back yesterday that all is fine with my brain and the blood vessels of the neck and head. It's interesting, but the moment I got the good news the symptoms flared up again and my left side was buzzing all day.

My doctors and psychologist believe I am experiencing the physical symptoms of anxiety.

I wanted to share this here because I had no idea that stress could manifest in this way and I was extremely troubled when this started happening. The stories on this thread helped me enormously as I awaited the results of the tests.

I am relieved that it seems there is nothing lethal immediately threatening my physical body, but I also know that I have to deal with whatever is going on psychologically because the panic that my body has been in is no joke and I want to be healthy physically and mentally.

I have been very worried that I am dying of something (heart attack, stroke, ALS, MS..) my mind has been going wild trying to understand what is happening in my body.

After many visits to the doctor and several tests I do believe that my issues are arising from a mental/emotional disturbance. I have been uncovering some past traumatic experiences in therapy, I have also been getting sober for the past six months, in addition to a few other extremely stressful life events, not to mention the global pandemic we are all facing.

I know it helped me understanding that my alarming physical symptoms could arise from mental/emotional issues.

I hope this story relates to someone and is able to bring some calm while things are being resolved.

Thank you for this. I've had terrible physical symptoms for the last few weeks ever since my panic attacks started. I've been up the hospital twice and had an ambulance called, been on about 10 different medications (antibiotics, nasal sprays, antihistamines, pain killers, reflux meds). Hospital has found nothing wrong and none of the medications have worked. Even when reassured my tests were fine I was still convinced something is wrong as the physical symptoms are SO strong and painful.

Been put on Citalopram which caused me even more terrible side effects so starting on Sertraline on Monday.

The physical symptoms are just so bad for me, I can't concentrate on anything other than how much pain I am in.

I still can't understand how much mental distress can do to you physically but I guess it's real. Our minds can be very very cruel.

Thank you for your update, greatly appreciated. ❤