• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can Anxiety affect only one side of body?!

T

Tazmelbs85

I’m convinced I’ve had a mini stroke & it’s scaring the life out of me! What actually are your symptoms? Do you ever get a burning sensation in your forehead?x
I totally understand. I get tingling and numbness sometimes only on one side sometimes on both. The doctors at the hospital said if it’s mini strokes that would last 24 hrs not a few minutes coming and going. I also get dizziness most of the day, not spinning sensation but almost like I’m bobbing up and down in water. I think these symptoms can all be created by your brain from severe anxiety. It’s best to get all the checks done though to know. I’m taking my antidepressants every day and noticing a difference in my levels of anxiety. Of course as soon as the physical symptoms hit I start freaking out again but that only makes things worse. I’m also taking seroquel to sleep at night and stop the panic attacks. I think that’s helping a lot. And yes I get burning sensations and chills sometimes too. It’s your brain being totally over reactive and sending messages to different parts of your body

H

HannahJadeee

I’ve been like it about a month now. It’s a very weird feeling down my left side but is now starting to affect my right arm & cheek. I’m so worried as I have to wait until 19th March to see a neurologist :( I can’t possibly cope that long not knowing what’s causing these persistent symptoms everyday :(

T

Tazmelbs85

I know exactly what you mean, I’ve been having symptoms for about 5 weeks now. The only thing that’s helping me is my medication. I’ve only been taking it for a short while but it’s making a difference. I have to wait a few more weeks for a follow up with neurologist. Every time the physical symptoms hit I freak out but it’s definitely not strokes! It’s like your brain is on fire and sending all these crazy messages to your body that’s the only way I know how to explain it. But the symptoms are really there

J

Jakesurfs

Hey Hubert

Hey Man,
My name is John and I'm 25. I've been through a lot of what you're experiencing right now and beyond. At the end of March I had my first panic attack while riding the metro home from work. I felt fine and didn't feel particularly anxious amd at that time, I didn't know it was a panic attack. I thought something really bad was happening with my heart. I went to the ER amd since then, it has been a rocky road, but has been getting better.

I've in a month and a half time frame, I had more doctor's appointments, ekg's, blood tests, and other things than I count. All were normal. Though, convinced something was wrong, I continued to get more tests. I have had a full cardio workup...EKG, ECG, stress test, 24 hr heart and blood pressure monitor's....I had a neurological workup including an EMG (an uncomfortable, but sensitive test) for the one sided "weakness" and tingling/numbness. All were normal.

In the mean time I started seeing a therapist because all doctor's were saying anxiety. I didnt buy into that diagnosis. It is hard thing to imagine that your mind could be causing all this stuff to
go on with my body. Though, the more tests that came back negative and the more research I did, I found out that 1) my symptoms do logically match anything in the way that all this has occurred. I've gone from worried about my heart, to cancer, to MS, ALS or some neurological disorder. My symptoms and generally an anxious persons symptoms match a lot of things and nothing can truly be pinpointed as the cause....because there isn't a cause. The other thing...anxiety has a lot of psychological issues that arise.

My brother-in-law was recently diagnosed with hodgkins, which didn't help my mind, but anyway...he was actually sick, but yet way more composed than myself. Not to say he didn't have anxious moments, but you and I have abnormal irrational fears
over "symptoms" that in all reality aren't a result of A serious disease. We aren't sick and he was, yet mentally...you and I were much worse off. Anxiety attacks the mind which in turn attacks your body.

The other thing is this...you can have anxiety and anxiety symptoms and not feel that anxious. I wasnt anxious when all this started and don't feel anxious now, but yet I still have symptoms. Anxiety attacks and symptoms start for a lot of people ina moment when you wouldnt expect it or feel ok. The fact of the matter is, we probably have stuff, issues, problems and maybe a sedentary lifestyle where we dont deal with things amd they just get compiled and before you know it, you have an anxiety attack, which pretty much feel like death to me. I havent had one in about a month now. Thank you Lord! My anxiety symptoms are better and worse some days and sometimes I feel pretty normal, but it is a battle. Therapy and exercise help. The more I learn about it the more I'm convinced anxiety is what I have. Many people have these symptoms, but you can also have unique ones too, but don't let that scare you. If something was truly wrong, something would begin to show up. There is a reason it takes so long to be a doctor. We can surf the Internet all day and still not know what they know.

My doc did so many tests at my request and referred me to one of the best neurologist in the area to calm me down. She told me it was anxiety from the get-go. The neurologist basically gavee the option for my EMG, which I took, but the bottom line is...if he really thought something was wrong, I would been made to get this test or an MRI.

Accepting the diagnosis is the hardest part and I have to accept it over and over. I give myself personal neurological test all the time and i function fine and I just have to say...it's anxiety. It's a very hard thing to wrap your mind around. I'm 25 year old male with no horrible personal or family medical history and I was in the Marines for 7 years. This was a horrible amd demoralizing exeperiece for me.

whatever caused this....I have no idea...life changes...work...I don't know, but you will see...that your issue is what they think. I encourage you to get tested as much as you desire to calm your fears and when they keep coming back normal just like mine did, believe it....your mind can cause your body to do some crazy things. Anxiety is a bad but good thing...it's you telling you that you have stress and issues that aren't being dealt with emtionally and physically. Take care of the mind or work the body. It has been helping me. I'm not 100% normal yet, but I hope I will some day. let me know how everything goes. Best wishes!
Really liked this post, I’ve suffered for about 8 years with on and off anxiety and panic attacks and derealization depersonalization. Was on an antidepressant for 7 of those 8 years and got off of it a year and a half ago. Also I’m 22 years old. Just recently on January 1st I went through a very traumatic experience emotionally and mentally and ever since then I’ve had strange numbness tingling and weakness in my right arm and right leg and some times my face every once in a while. I notice it gets worse when I think too much about it. Went to the hospital thinks heart attack, they did ekg and CT of my chest and said everything looks great it’s just anxiety. Then the weird one sided feelings kept happening so I worries I was having a stroke, went to the ER once more for a CT of the brain, everything came back excellent again. They ruled out possible hemiplegic migraines caused my stress but ultimately just stress related anxiety. Since then I’m still convinced something’s wrong, no way can my mind make up these symptoms, recently now today my worry is MS or ALS, I have an appointment with the neurologist on March 2nd to get checked out. I can’t stop worrying that I have something seriously wrong. It’s suck so bad going through each day thinking I’m dying or a disease will kill me. So exhausting. Anyone have these same symptoms?

T

Tazmelbs85

Really liked this post, I’ve suffered for about 8 years with on and off anxiety and panic attacks and derealization depersonalization. Was on an antidepressant for 7 of those 8 years and got off of it a year and a half ago. Also I’m 22 years old. Just recently on January 1st I went through a very traumatic experience emotionally and mentally and ever since then I’ve had strange numbness tingling and weakness in my right arm and right leg and some times my face every once in a while. I notice it gets worse when I think too much about it. Went to the hospital thinks heart attack, they did ekg and CT of my chest and said everything looks great it’s just anxiety. Then the weird one sided feelings kept happening so I worries I was having a stroke, went to the ER once more for a CT of the brain, everything came back excellent again. They ruled out possible hemiplegic migraines caused my stress but ultimately just stress related anxiety. Since then I’m still convinced something’s wrong, no way can my mind make up these symptoms, recently now today my worry is MS or ALS, I have an appointment with the neurologist on March 2nd to get checked out. I can’t stop worrying that I have something seriously wrong. It’s suck so bad going through each day thinking I’m dying or a disease will kill me. So exhausting. Anyone have these same symptoms?
Absolutely! I get stuck in a rut thinking I have MS, but I have had MRI’s and CT scans and all clear. Still that’s not good enough and I convince myself I do have it and they’re not picking it up. It’s crazy the physical symptoms you can get from severe anxiety. Focusing on illnesses is typical health anxiety

J

Jakesurfs

Thanks for the reply! I’m currently sick with a chest cold too and it’s causing me to feel weak and achey like the flu but oh my gosh of course I start to think ms or als per usual! So frustrating. Lately tho aside from being my muscles just get soooooo sore and they ache and hurt, even walking seems tough due to feeling so sore like I did a full body workout! Anyone feel like that from there anxiety?

T

Tazmelbs85

Thanks for the reply! I’m currently sick with a chest cold too and it’s causing me to feel weak and achey like the flu but oh my gosh of course I start to think ms or als per usual! So frustrating. Lately tho aside from being my muscles just get soooooo sore and they ache and hurt, even walking seems tough due to feeling so sore like I did a full body workout! Anyone feel like that from there anxiety?
My whole health anxiety started from infections and escalated into some severe anxiety. I have had chest and sinus infections for six months now, when they did cat scab they said my sinuses are really bad, that was the only real thing they could find. I still have been coughing up phlegm every day and I convince myself that I can’t fight it off because my immune system is failing. And then I spiral. After I had been sick for four months I started getting dizziness, blocked ears and then the panic attacks thinking I was dying. Now I have to accept it as anxiety otherwise I know I will spiral again and never get any better. It’s a battle with your mind. Your brain is a very powerful thing!

C

Cgd672

Hey man, I’m also a young male (25) experiencing the same things you have. My problems started a about 5 or 6 years ago when I had a massive panic attack. I noticed the right side of my face fet funny after the attack. Of course, I chalked this up to recovering from my panic attack. As time went on, the feelings subsided. Though, every time since then I notice that the right side of my face gets tight/numb when I get anxious. Of course being a hypochondriac, this freaked me out and I started to think I had some neurological disease. The more I focused on it the worse it got. Eventually, I could feel the same feeling in my lower arm and lower leg. This eventually drove me to the emergency room. They conducted an EKG, blood work and and MRI of my brain. Thankfully, everything came back normal including the MRI of my brain. This was about two years ago now. I have noticed that with exercise, medication and meditation I Feel better. Naturally, being a super anxious person sometimes the symptoms persist and sometimes even switch to the left side of my body. But with the right treatment you should be able to recover! i hope your MRI gave you the satisfaction to feel better man!!

light speed

T

Tazmelbs85

It’s been seven months now since my symptoms all began. Now I have a combination of treatments, it’s a full on regime every day to try and get back to my old self. I’m on sertraline now, I do yoga and meditation now that my dizziness is gone and grounding techniques have been most helpful when I feel close to panic. I try to eat really healthy, have heaps of green tea and water to ward off sickness. I also see a psychiatrist and psychologist every fortnight. I’m doing a lot better, but have still been sick with something or other this whole time so part of me still believes I have an auto immune disease because who’s sick for seven months right? I also still every now and then wake up with pins and needles in one of my hands (and definitely not having slept on it) or even during the day in one of my feet but I have to say it has subsided a lot so maybe it was just all anxiety. With the right medication and lifestyle you do slowly improve

H

Hubert

Hello

So I stared this post ... like 9 years ago! Wow
Well things for me are normal now. It a year and a half to kick anxiety completely after all the tests for my symptoms came back OK my mind was calm down, I bought a bicycle and start cycling to work every day, I forced myself to go see my friends to go for a walk in the park and I finally joined gym, it turned out physical excercise, good diet and meditation was the key! Anxiety and panic attacks are fuelled by adrenaline and what's the best way to get rid of it ? Well... to get physical !
All those crazy, crazy symptoms, had soooooo many, slowly started to fade away.
Guys! Getting tests for your symptoms is key if they tell you all is good and you have a proof, your mind will be free of worry and then to get rid of adrenalin and thinking too much get busy!
I hike a lot in the mountains these days, nature, physical challenge, beautiful scenery that keeps me going
All the best in fighting this nasty thing !

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
Hello

So I stared this post ... like 9 years ago! Wow
Well things for me are normal now. It a year and a half to kick anxiety completely after all the tests for my symptoms came back OK my mind was calm down, I bought a bicycle and start cycling to work every day, I forced myself to go see my friends to go for a walk in the park and I finally joined gym, it turned out physical excercise, good diet and meditation was the key! Anxiety and panic attacks are fuelled by adrenaline and what's the best way to get rid of it ? Well... to get physical !
All those crazy, crazy symptoms, had soooooo many, slowly started to fade away.
Guys! Getting tests for your symptoms is key if they tell you all is good and you have a proof, your mind will be free of worry and then to get rid of adrenalin and thinking too much get busy!
I hike a lot in the mountains these days, nature, physical challenge, beautiful scenery that keeps me going
All the best in fighting this nasty thing !
Well done on your 9 year journey, Hubert :)

A

anxiouswarrior

I have suffered with anxiety /depression most of my life and had all sorts of crazy symptoms , one small way that helps is when you feel stressed and overloaded is sometimes do nothing and maybe try not to eat to much , smoke to much and worry to much , then you may sleep which is vital for recovery from anything

Antimatter

Antimatter

I have suffered with anxiety /depression most of my life and had all sorts of crazy symptoms , one small way that helps is when you feel stressed and overloaded is sometimes do nothing and maybe try not to eat to much , smoke to much and worry to much , then you may sleep which is vital for recovery from anything
Yup! And sort your vitamin D levels out.

S

Sammy2020

I totally understand. I get tingling and numbness sometimes only on one side sometimes on both. The doctors at the hospital said if it’s mini strokes that would last 24 hrs not a few minutes coming and going. I also get dizziness most of the day, not spinning sensation but almost like I’m bobbing up and down in water. I think these symptoms can all be created by your brain from severe anxiety. It’s best to get all the checks done though to know. I’m taking my antidepressants every day and noticing a difference in my levels of anxiety. Of course as soon as the physical symptoms hit I start freaking out again but that only makes things worse. I’m also taking seroquel to sleep at night and stop the panic attacks. I think that’s helping a lot. And yes I get burning sensations and chills sometimes too. It’s your brain being totally over reactive and sending messages to different parts of your body

S

Sammy2020

Hi
From last 10 days m suffering from left side body weakness and mild numbness in left arm mainly hand and left leg mainly left foot
Specially when I lay down on bed
Haven't been to any doctor as my husband thinks m crazy
One more this from last 6 weeks I M also suffering from fatigue
Severe deficiency of vit D
I feel tooo tired quite often
And from last one year I am suffering from anxiety
Health anxiety
Fears of losing close ones
All the time I think something worst is going to happen next moment