Can Anxiety affect only one side of body?!

H

Hubert

Hi guys!

Hi, I am 29 and fighting with weird symptoms, 2 months ago i experienced panick attack.
next day i noticed that my left leg and arm feel bit weird, like weak, tingling or warm, its difficult to discribe, on and off and than I would get very achy muscles, like i did a work out for that one muscle and than chest pain fallowed. so next day i went to ER, thinking there is something with my heart or i have mini stroke. Doctor run quick ECG, checked my temperature and did a physical test on my arm and leg. he told me it was anxiety, nothing more. Since than I experienced chest pain(thinking heart problems), IBS (thinking is colon cancer), stomach palpitations (thinking is abdominal aortic aneurysm)
I had a 3 EKG since than, had complete blood work, a stress test(on treadmill). Everything come back good (apart from my vitamin d, its very low) I went to my doctor at least 4 times, I also went to ER twice in past two months. every doctor told me it is a panic attack or anxiety. I noticed that I freak out alot wiyh all the symtoms I had and I also worry alot. Now I got new one! my left side got bit worse last saturday, since than i feel weak and get dizzy spells for like 3 hours mid day every day. So I went to my doctor again and explained the whole thing and he is refering me for a TIA Assessment (mini stroke) I am so freaked out, I just want my life back,feel so miserable. Is there anyone with such symptoms?

maxitab

maxitab

These are very common and associated with Health Anxiety. Your doctor is probably checking you out more to cover his ass than because he thinks there is a true illness going on ( if there were and he did nothing you could sue).
A more likely explanation may be fibromyalgia.......associated with anxiety and can have lots of different symptoms. The treatment usually involves dealing with the underlying anxiety.

Have you ever tried to cope with the anxiety....what do you do?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I think Maxi is right and you need to find ways to deal with the anxiety. Anxiety is a symptom not a cause, so maybe think about what may have started these symptoms? I noticed that you had this all start 2 months ago, can you think what might have triggered you off? It doesn't have to be huge, even small things can trigger us if they hit us at the right moment. xx

H

Hubert

It started at work with a panic attack( racing heart, dizzy ect)
I think its my work, I freak out every time I have to go there.

M

MarineJ

Hey Hubert

Hey Man,
My name is John and I'm 25. I've been through a lot of what you're experiencing right now and beyond. At the end of March I had my first panic attack while riding the metro home from work. I felt fine and didn't feel particularly anxious amd at that time, I didn't know it was a panic attack. I thought something really bad was happening with my heart. I went to the ER amd since then, it has been a rocky road, but has been getting better.

I've in a month and a half time frame, I had more doctor's appointments, ekg's, blood tests, and other things than I count. All were normal. Though, convinced something was wrong, I continued to get more tests. I have had a full cardio workup...EKG, ECG, stress test, 24 hr heart and blood pressure monitor's....I had a neurological workup including an EMG (an uncomfortable, but sensitive test) for the one sided "weakness" and tingling/numbness. All were normal.

In the mean time I started seeing a therapist because all doctor's were saying anxiety. I didnt buy into that diagnosis. It is hard thing to imagine that your mind could be causing all this stuff to
go on with my body. Though, the more tests that came back negative and the more research I did, I found out that 1) my symptoms do logically match anything in the way that all this has occurred. I've gone from worried about my heart, to cancer, to MS, ALS or some neurological disorder. My symptoms and generally an anxious persons symptoms match a lot of things and nothing can truly be pinpointed as the cause....because there isn't a cause. The other thing...anxiety has a lot of psychological issues that arise.

My brother-in-law was recently diagnosed with hodgkins, which didn't help my mind, but anyway...he was actually sick, but yet way more composed than myself. Not to say he didn't have anxious moments, but you and I have abnormal irrational fears
over "symptoms" that in all reality aren't a result of A serious disease. We aren't sick and he was, yet mentally...you and I were much worse off. Anxiety attacks the mind which in turn attacks your body.

The other thing is this...you can have anxiety and anxiety symptoms and not feel that anxious. I wasnt anxious when all this started and don't feel anxious now, but yet I still have symptoms. Anxiety attacks and symptoms start for a lot of people ina moment when you wouldnt expect it or feel ok. The fact of the matter is, we probably have stuff, issues, problems and maybe a sedentary lifestyle where we dont deal with things amd they just get compiled and before you know it, you have an anxiety attack, which pretty much feel like death to me. I havent had one in about a month now. Thank you Lord! My anxiety symptoms are better and worse some days and sometimes I feel pretty normal, but it is a battle. Therapy and exercise help. The more I learn about it the more I'm convinced anxiety is what I have. Many people have these symptoms, but you can also have unique ones too, but don't let that scare you. If something was truly wrong, something would begin to show up. There is a reason it takes so long to be a doctor. We can surf the Internet all day and still not know what they know.

My doc did so many tests at my request and referred me to one of the best neurologist in the area to calm me down. She told me it was anxiety from the get-go. The neurologist basically gavee the option for my EMG, which I took, but the bottom line is...if he really thought something was wrong, I would been made to get this test or an MRI.

Accepting the diagnosis is the hardest part and I have to accept it over and over. I give myself personal neurological test all the time and i function fine and I just have to say...it's anxiety. It's a very hard thing to wrap your mind around. I'm 25 year old male with no horrible personal or family medical history and I was in the Marines for 7 years. This was a horrible amd demoralizing exeperiece for me.

whatever caused this....I have no idea...life changes...work...I don't know, but you will see...that your issue is what they think. I encourage you to get tested as much as you desire to calm your fears and when they keep coming back normal just like mine did, believe it....your mind can cause your body to do some crazy things. Anxiety is a bad but good thing...it's you telling you that you have stress and issues that aren't being dealt with emtionally and physically. Take care of the mind or work the body. It has been helping me. I'm not 100% normal yet, but I hope I will some day. let me know how everything goes. Best wishes!

H

Hubert

Hi there!
Today I went to see my doctor about my resoults, who referd me for MRI and 24h holter monitor. I though I gonna update you guys. It all came back normal, my brain scan, my heart, my blood work (my vit D is much better now!)
I am glad, my mind is at ease now! But gotta say, this week was creazy, I was very anxious about resoults. Now I will try to focus on recovery from this anxiety thing!
How's things?

J

jdsbbq1

Hey,Im 43 now and my panic attacks started 3 years ago and havent stopped yet,mine happened in traffic while driving a 18 wheeler(talk about scary) Well I pulled over and stopped and got out and tried to catch my breath and slow my heart down,and I had sweaty hands and numbness and tingling down the left arm only,I thought I was having a heart attack but they found nothing wrong,1 year later same exact thing it happened in my work truck,I called an ambulance this time,stayed overnight for testing,and found nothing wrong,well 2 years ago something different happened out of no where,my chest and back were hurting,Im thinking it was nothing again,but Im glad I went to the er,I had a main clogged artery to my heart 95% blocked,they said I was a walking dead man,they fixed me with a stint,and was fine until recently again in november 2010 I had another panic attack,and once again no heart problem or anything,so I went to neurologist,he said go to psychiatrist,and he says I am hyper sensitive to stimulants(not drugs), caffeine,nicotine,alcohol, even just a little bit,well he puts me on xanax,and it works but if and when you quit taking it you will have even worse panic attacks because xanax is addicting,what kind of s#@t is that? Anyway exercise on a treadmill works until I get worried about my heart beating too fast,then here we go again, I feel your pain as well,wish I could help you and others,but I got to fix me first,sorry. Does anyone know if CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) works or not,I have already quit smoking and cut back on beer,and no coffee,but the panic attacks and sharp pains in my left arm continue,especially when Im at rest,and alone,If I stay busy or keep my mind busy its not as bad..........any ideas anybody??
THANKS J D

S

Siobhan

Hi I am new to this site I am a female 26 and not sure if I'm suffering from anxiety I've got a strange feeling down my left side like a buzzing in my leg n my arm feels heavy and strange keep getting shooting pains in my head arm and leg or an achey feeling and having headaches. I also feel like my words don't come out properly and my tongue feels to big for my mouth like I'm gonna choke. I'm also suffering dizzy spells or like I'm walking on air. I'm really freaking out been to the doc twice n he says he doesn't c anything to worry about at this point :unsure:. Could this be anxiety?

R

Rose19602

Hi Siobhan,
It doesn't sound like anxiety...although I'm told that physical symptoms arising from mental unease and worry can be very convincing...so who knows?
These pains and feelings sound very worrying though, and doctors don't always do a full range of checks.
To be sure I would go to the emergency room (US?) or A&E (UK) and ask - particularly about the dizziness and shooting pains in your head, arm and leg. If it is anxiety it will ease as a result of being reassured and
this may help you to be calmer should similar feelings arise again, and if not, you will be safe....so nothing to lose Siobhan.
Get checked out and let us know how you are.
x

J

Jessicarenee123

siobhan

Hi I am new to this site I am a female 26 and not sure if I'm suffering from anxiety I've got a strange feeling down my left side like a buzzing in my leg n my arm feels heavy and strange keep getting shooting pains in my head arm and leg or an achey feeling and having headaches. I also feel like my words don't come out properly and my tongue feels to big for my mouth like I'm gonna choke. I'm also suffering dizzy spells or like I'm walking on air. I'm really freaking out been to the doc twice n he says he doesn't c anything to worry about at this point :unsure:. Could this be anxiety?
Hey I'm having the same exact symptoms ! Did you figure out what it is yet ???? Please let me know

M

Misssnicolettee3

Hello Siobhan,
i am experiencing all the same symptoms and its really freaking me out. i have had a number of tests done and everything has come back normal so im assuming its just severe anxiety.

S

simon9863656

I feel the same it scears me my hart go fast then get funny feeling in chest no pain but it feels like me hart stops it fells like I am dieing I have sore back funny filling in the arm and sometimes in the leg

R

Rach085

Hi John,

Wow! Reading your story is like talking out loud! I’ve currently had crazy symptoms for about a year now! I’ve had an MRI, eye test, ear test and I’m scheduled to see a nurologist soon but everything keeps coming up normal. Every time I get a normal result my anxiety peaks and I’m convinced I’m dying of some terminal illness. My family all think it’s anxiety but it’s so hard to think that when the physical symptoms are so real and you don’t feel overly anxious!

I’d love to know how you are going now? It’s nice to know other people feel the same way.

Rach

Hey Man,
My name is John and I'm 25. I've been through a lot of what you're experiencing right now and beyond. At the end of March I had my first panic attack while riding the metro home from work. I felt fine and didn't feel particularly anxious amd at that time, I didn't know it was a panic attack. I thought something really bad was happening with my heart. I went to the ER amd since then, it has been a rocky road, but has been getting better.

I've in a month and a half time frame, I had more doctor's appointments, ekg's, blood tests, and other things than I count. All were normal. Though, convinced something was wrong, I continued to get more tests. I have had a full cardio workup...EKG, ECG, stress test, 24 hr heart and blood pressure monitor's....I had a neurological workup including an EMG (an uncomfortable, but sensitive test) for the one sided "weakness" and tingling/numbness. All were normal.

In the mean time I started seeing a therapist because all doctor's were saying anxiety. I didnt buy into that diagnosis. It is hard thing to imagine that your mind could be causing all this stuff to
go on with my body. Though, the more tests that came back negative and the more research I did, I found out that 1) my symptoms do logically match anything in the way that all this has occurred. I've gone from worried about my heart, to cancer, to MS, ALS or some neurological disorder. My symptoms and generally an anxious persons symptoms match a lot of things and nothing can truly be pinpointed as the cause....because there isn't a cause. The other thing...anxiety has a lot of psychological issues that arise.

My brother-in-law was recently diagnosed with hodgkins, which didn't help my mind, but anyway...he was actually sick, but yet way more composed than myself. Not to say he didn't have anxious moments, but you and I have abnormal irrational fears
over "symptoms" that in all reality aren't a result of A serious disease. We aren't sick and he was, yet mentally...you and I were much worse off. Anxiety attacks the mind which in turn attacks your body.

The other thing is this...you can have anxiety and anxiety symptoms and not feel that anxious. I wasnt anxious when all this started and don't feel anxious now, but yet I still have symptoms. Anxiety attacks and symptoms start for a lot of people ina moment when you wouldnt expect it or feel ok. The fact of the matter is, we probably have stuff, issues, problems and maybe a sedentary lifestyle where we dont deal with things amd they just get compiled and before you know it, you have an anxiety attack, which pretty much feel like death to me. I havent had one in about a month now. Thank you Lord! My anxiety symptoms are better and worse some days and sometimes I feel pretty normal, but it is a battle. Therapy and exercise help. The more I learn about it the more I'm convinced anxiety is what I have. Many people have these symptoms, but you can also have unique ones too, but don't let that scare you. If something was truly wrong, something would begin to show up. There is a reason it takes so long to be a doctor. We can surf the Internet all day and still not know what they know.

My doc did so many tests at my request and referred me to one of the best neurologist in the area to calm me down. She told me it was anxiety from the get-go. The neurologist basically gavee the option for my EMG, which I took, but the bottom line is...if he really thought something was wrong, I would been made to get this test or an MRI.

Accepting the diagnosis is the hardest part and I have to accept it over and over. I give myself personal neurological test all the time and i function fine and I just have to say...it's anxiety. It's a very hard thing to wrap your mind around. I'm 25 year old male with no horrible personal or family medical history and I was in the Marines for 7 years. This was a horrible amd demoralizing exeperiece for me.

whatever caused this....I have no idea...life changes...work...I don't know, but you will see...that your issue is what they think. I encourage you to get tested as much as you desire to calm your fears and when they keep coming back normal just like mine did, believe it....your mind can cause your body to do some crazy things. Anxiety is a bad but good thing...it's you telling you that you have stress and issues that aren't being dealt with emtionally and physically. Take care of the mind or work the body. It has been helping me. I'm not 100% normal yet, but I hope I will some day. let me know how everything goes. Best wishes!

J

JenniferC

Hey Eveyone and Rach/John.. In need of desperate answers

Hello Rach do you mind telling me what symptoms you feel? I feel a lot of similar symptoms to John. It all started on October 20th of this year (2018). I was watching a movie with my 4 year old son and got up to show my mom something on my phone who was in the back terrace. As I was showing her the message my left ear went completely deaf and I got a huge pressure in it. I tried "popping my ears" to release the pressure but it just got worse and it traveled in a wave like motion and it covered the entire left side of my head as well. All I felt was an enormous pressure like if I was going to die and I told her to call the rescue. The ambulance got their and they took my blood pressure, sugar, monitored my heart rate and everything was normal. Since everything was normal they advised me to go to the hospital to get a CT Scan of the head and so I did. Well the CT Scan of my head came back negative and they said everything was normal. They thought I had an eustachian tube dysfunction and advised me to see a otolaryngologist. I went to the doctor (considered one of the best here in Miami) he checked out my ears, did hearing tests and all the tests came back normal. Then that is when my "anxiety" really started to kick in because I was desperate to find a cause as to why that happened to me on october 20th "OUT OF THE BLUE". Tears came down my face and he sent me to see the neurologist. The appointment they gave me wasn't until 3 months later so in the mean time I decided to go to another neuro I googled nearby. The neuro ordered 2 MRI's of my head and another MRI of my cervical. He also ordered a leg nerve conduction test. Well all the exams came out completely NORMAL and he said he thought I was suffering from anxiety and migraines. This made me feel even WORSE! I felt as if they thought I was crazy when in reality I was feeling so many symptoms at once. (Dizzy spells varying in intensity every day, ringing in the ears sometimes, constant pressure in my ears and imbalance, numbing and tingling in my hands and legs, racing heart, head pressure or what really scares me is a wave sensation that starts in either of my ears and arises up into my head with a severe pressure (it literately feels like a stroke). After the pressure fades away a bit I stay very dizzy. My primary doctor saw me and he also believes it is anxiety. I had taken clonazepam but quit it after 2 months since I do not want to become addicted. Then , my father took my MRI's to another neuro he knows abroad and he said the MRI's of my head were fine but the one of my cervical wasn't because I had a reversed cervical lordosis. In other words instead of my cervical neck being curved like a C it is almost straight like an l and it could be compressing many nerves. So neuro's here say everything is fine but abroad they say my cervical isn't. Finally, yesterday I went to go see the other neurologist after 3 months and he believes what I am experiencing in my head are also migraines. My main concern is the constant ear pressure and ear popping I feel in either of the ears. Whenever it intensifies then the wave of unbearable pressure rises up from my ear to my head and it makes me feel like I am going to pass out or die.

Is anyone else with "anxiety" or "migraines" experiencing ear pressure or ear popping and wave like pressure that radiates from the ears to the head to the point where you feel like you are going to pass out or are dying? Almost feeling like a stroke but all the tests come out normal?

Wow! Reading your story is like talking out loud! I’ve currently had crazy symptoms for about a year now! I’ve had an MRI, eye test, ear test and I’m scheduled to see a nurologist soon but everything keeps coming up normal. Every time I get a normal result my anxiety peaks and I’m convinced I’m dying of some terminal illness. My family all think it’s anxiety but it’s so hard to think that when the physical symptoms are so real and you don’t feel overly anxious!

I’d love to know how you are going now? It’s nice to know other people feel the same way.

Rach

D

devinb3

JenniferC, did you ever figure out a cause for your symptoms? I’ve been having very similar symptoms since last December. My ears feel super full and there’s a ton of pressure in my head and I’ve been very dizzy every day. It all happened out of nowhere for me. I did lose both of my grandmas within a couple weeks of each other right before my problems started happening so the stress factor was certainly there. My CT scans, EKG, heart ultrasound, bloodwork, and MRI of the head have all come back normal with no signs of stroke or anything. Still though I feel convinced that they’ve missed something huge. I’ve been referred to a neurologist that specializes in ear and balance issues and I’m getting testing done next week. I still have weird feelings usually on the left side of my body and my left arm almost feels week at times? Every doctor I’ve seen so far thinks it’s migraines and anxiety but it’s really hard to accept that when the symptoms are so real. I too feel like I’m going to pass out at times, I almost feel disconnected from reality. Sometimes it’s bad enough to where I’m afraid to fall asleep because I’m afraid I’ll die or slip into a coma which just seems totally irrational but there fear is there anyway. I’ve been prescribed Ativan which helps “put out the fire” when the panic attacks are bad but it’s usually a short lived victory until I’m back to worrying again.

P

philippa_j

Hiya everyone, I’ve been reading all your replies on here and thought I would reply and tell my story.
Out of the blue I was asleep in bed, woke up around 12am feeling like I was going to pass out I had ringing in my ears my vision was closing in on me felt very shakey all my left side went cold and numb. I phoned for an ambulance who came and completed a ECG and all was fine apart from high blood pressure. I now get tingling in my eyes also
The next day I went to the doctors and I’ve had so many tests done -
Three ECGs
A stomach ultra sound because I have terrible stomach cramps burning
3 full blood counts
1 thyroid blood test
1 vitamin d blood test (came back abit low)
1 glandular fever blood test - my glands all in my chest / arms / legs feel sore and tingly
All of the above came back normal 🙈
I’m now been sent to a neurologist this week because since the first attack I’ve had around 10 more in the space of 4 weeks. They are so draining the next day I feel tired achey and numb.
I’ve noticed they either come on at night when I’m asleep or when I get abit stressed up ie go to the doctors. They never really come on when I’m busy with the kids. I get abit if tingling down my arm and burning down my side near my ribs.
The doctor has prescribed me sterlin but I’ve heard a lot of bad things of this tablet anyone else had heard or taken this ?
Any advice on the above or just to chat would be great :) will let you know how I get on tomorrow at the neurologist
Philippa x

S

Source82

Hi Guys,
I have this weird heat in my back that I don't understand. It started on 28th January 2019, I felt heat in my back, NO PAIN just heat and one of my arms had goose bumps. I thought it was fever I took pain reliever and forgot it. However it came back with full force on Monday. I don't experience it much when am standing on lying down. But when seated in my car or on my office chair, at times I have to instinctively come forward because I feel as if the heat is because the back is touching the chair back. The first Dr I saw said it could be chest infection since I had cold prior to that, he put me on antibiotics which didn't walk. Frustrated and seriously confused I went to A&E they did all the heart checks, ECG, blood, bp and temp all fine. The Doctor dismissed me saying it was anxiety, they even said I should goto homepathy. I kind of believed it because I had gone through so much stress, hunger, anxiety and lack of sleep in days leading to the 28th. However the feeling has persisted, someone mentioned GERD, I started taking off the counter GERD medications (since I have had GERD before), the funny thing is the back pain doesn't seem like any GERD pain I had in my life. In fact it isnt pain per say it just as if am being burnt with heat. Another funny thing is it keeps moving around, at times up close to the neck, sometimes I feel it in my arms, or even down close to the buttocks. I went to my GP recently and she suggested taking antiacid citing acid reflux. I started taking acid reflux medication then started having gas, burping etc. So I quit and started avoiding all fatty and acid food, all that done to no avail. I now feel the heat in places in my back and shoulder as well as a nervous stomach symptom - warm feeling in my stomach every now and then. Please has anyone experienced these before?

S

Source82

Hiya everyone, I’ve been reading all your replies on here and thought I would reply and tell my story.
Out of the blue I was asleep in bed, woke up around 12am feeling like I was going to pass out I had ringing in my ears my vision was closing in on me felt very shakey all my left side went cold and numb. I phoned for an ambulance who came and completed a ECG and all was fine apart from high blood pressure. I now get tingling in my eyes also
The next day I went to the doctors and I’ve had so many tests done -
Three ECGs
A stomach ultra sound because I have terrible stomach cramps burning
3 full blood counts
1 thyroid blood test
1 vitamin d blood test (came back abit low)
1 glandular fever blood test - my glands all in my chest / arms / legs feel sore and tingly
All of the above came back normal 🙈
I’m now been sent to a neurologist this week because since the first attack I’ve had around 10 more in the space of 4 weeks. They are so draining the next day I feel tired achey and numb.
I’ve noticed they either come on at night when I’m asleep or when I get abit stressed up ie go to the doctors. They never really come on when I’m busy with the kids. I get abit if tingling down my arm and burning down my side near my ribs.
The doctor has prescribed me sterlin but I’ve heard a lot of bad things of this tablet anyone else had heard or taken this ?
Any advice on the above or just to chat would be great :) will let you know how I get on tomorrow at the neurologist
Philippa x
Hi, please how did your appointment go?