• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can a person be discharged from MH unit if homeless?

porkpie

porkpie

If a person was homeless prier to being admitted would that person go back to the streets when discharged or found a homeless hostel, would they stay in hospital until a council property was available, they have a duty of care don't they so does that mean they'll not kick that person out back on the streets?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'd say it varies depending on where you are, and also depends on if the person is sectioned.
I think you'd get more support if you were sectioned - but even a voluntary patient would at least get some guidance.

Mark_01

Mark_01

In America, most of the time, to the best of my knowledge, they just dump you back onto the street. You might get a room at an old hotel the city uses to house the homeless, but those places can be more dangerous than sleeping on the street.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Last edited:
Darkred

Darkred

A massive part of the reason I'm still in hospital is because I have no where to live. The whole time (3 and a bit years) I have been looking at places and whatnot. I always tell them to just put me on the street because I have a bit of money and a few places I could crash but they won't. It makes tribunals impossibly pointless too since you have no where to go. So in my case they won't discharge me due to having nowhere to live even though I got told I'm good to go over a year ago.