• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Can a CT scan help diagnose schizophrenia

C

Cpdande

Hi everyone

My psychiatrist said my condition is complex due to a mix of paranoia, mania and depression. I used to hear voices outside of my head as a kid and occasionally as an adult, like I would hear my parents or someone shouting. So my psychiatrist sent me to get a CT scan and I hope it helps him diagnose schizophrenia because I'm not sure what to call my situation.

Can you help me understand if a CT scan can detect schizophrenia?

Thanks

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
They were making lots of progress in this area in 2019, it was on the news often, lots of breakthroughs. I think covid has stopped much else for now.

C

Cpdande

Breakthroughs? But do you think it can show signs of abnormality in my brain?

N

natalie

I might ebe cpdande, be able to help you out here;

back in 2001 and in 2003, i had issues, of everything so to speak, bearing in mind, i would be travelling to the U.S. on holiday/vacations with mum and dad over 30 years worth.

Now, back in 2003, i think it was, the pshychartrist, just couldn't put his finger onto what was causing my condiitons to be very acute when away. he ordered a CT scan, and yep, sure enough and also I had tests which I had to take part on a test assessment, over a number of weeks, and the 2 types of assessments, came to the conclusion, that I had szchiophrenia. Practially and in pricinpal right from birth! Mum had some problems while expecting me, from the hospital side of things, not her, and also, i have history of mental helath on mum's side of family.

So there it was, it wsa confirmed, diagnosis, that I have conditons, such as heard voices, and paranoia, mild forms of both, however then would be very acute, from time to time.

I had been placed onto medication, none of the doses which worked, not until this is 25ml, came along, and overall has been far the best dose.

i hope this helps.

C

Cpdande

Yes this does certainly help and thanks for replying.

You mentioned that your mom had trouble at birth and so did mine, I was born 3lbs due to a lack of nutrients from my mom's plancenta.

I've felt this way as in would have episodes of paranoia which included mild hallucinations but strong delusions and then what I would call downtime after such an episode. In that time would feel calmer but more shutdown and lacked motivation. When it came to social situations I would be paranoid if how other people would look at me and that includes family and friends. I've also talked to myself and escape into my imagination since I was six years old. My thoughts can be really loud and disturbing. Anyways I hope CT scan will me process this better

W

WH433

I think CT scan is to rule out other causes of your symptoms.