Can’t talk about anything I like. Need advice.

Ggrant

Ggrant

Hello!
Since age 12, I’ve found it impossible to talk or enjoy things I really like without feeling sick and awful. I can’t say the name of some of my favorite movies or shows without wanting to cry or throw up. I can’t look up things from stuff I like because I can’t force myself to type the words. Backstage at a show I was in, some of my peers talked about a character in a movie I liked, and I had to leave the room for a minute. If I want to talk about some of these things, I have to refer to it and all of its characters by a different name so I don’t get sick, but it doesn’t help too much.

Does anybody else feel like this, or can anybody offer advice? It’s hard for me to explain, but it’s become such a problem in my life that I can’t go one day without regretting it.

Victorianna

Victorianna

I'm sorry you are having this problem, it sounds hard.
This sounds like something that you might be able to work through with therapy - have you tried it?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Do you feel anxious in other social situations at all?

I used to feel similarly, though i'd connect it very much to feeling embarrassment.
It probably sounds strange to people who don't experience it, but the thought of having to talk about my favourite bands or TV shows to people made me want the earth to swallow me up.
And it's not a feeling of worry that people won't think it's cool. It was just the attention that was put on me that I didn't like, I felt really exposed.
And that made sense because I was really quite a socially anxious person - didn't matter if it was strangers or people I knew that I was around, I just didn't want to be seen or spoken to. :LOL:

It took time and medication and putting myself out there but it's eventually lessened to the point where I can live with it now.

axnkool

axnkool

if you can't talk about it, try to start chatting with someone about it, have some experience and move forward, then you may try to start talking with very close people or your true friends