• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Calling for Volunteers interested in talking about their voices

P

Paul

Request for help with research for voice hearers in the USA from Rochelle.

Dear Community,

I am a 3rd year PhD student at the California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco. I am also a Marriage and Family Therapist intern and am currently studying for my licensing exam.

I am currently working on my dissertation proposal and I am particularly interested in interviewing 5-6 people who match the following criteria:

1.Age: 18 years - 60 years
2.Individuals who have been diagnosed with schizophrenia
3.Individuals who have had auditory hallucinations
4.Individuals who are able to coherently speak about their experiences of auditory hallucinations.

I am interested in interviewing such individuals about their auditory hallucinations, and if they ever felt in their lives that their hallucinations were meaningful or insightful to them. I am hopeful that my dissertation will be a voice for all those people with a supposed "mental illness" or a "brain disease" to be heard and seen in a different light.

My school has an extremely thorough review committee called the Human Research and Review Committee (HRCC). This means that issues such as informed consent, confidentiality, providing therapy for subjects should they require it immediately following the interview, etc , will be included and discussed prior to the interview.

Unfortunately, there will be no compensation offered as this is an
independent study. The co-researchers will essentially be volunteering their time and will have the opportunity to share their stories and have a voice to express themselves. I am hopeful that this will be enough incentive in itself.

If interested, or if you have any questions, please email me at [email protected].
In gratitude,

Rochelle Suri.