• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Called to a ESA Group Session after 15 month of application with no medical.

T

tbdtdb

Background

Applied for ESA late 13 & have not heard a thing apart from requests for fit notes which I supplied.

I have had no medical & am still on the assessment rate.

After a year I was moved from Contribution to income based ESA – automatic one letter informing me this.

Got a letter about an ESA GROUP SESSION as follows:

You have been referred to the following Opportunity: ESA GROUP SESSION

You should report to:

ESA Team
X
X

On the x

If you cannot attend for any reason please contact this Jobcentre immediately.

Once you have started this provision, you should contact the provider immediately if you will not be able to attend for any reason.

Yours
x

To this was attached a two page leaflet “ESA – useful information”

The second paragraph says I have been placed in the WRG ESA group.

I obviously have questions about this.

1) Is this all I get to say I am in the WRG!?
2) Do I have to go?
3) What’s an ESA GROUP SESSION?
4) What does/are the implication of the last paragraph of the letter?

It just seems rather odd.

Thanx

Last edited:
Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi,
I don't know much about the wrag esa group first hand but from what I've heard, yes you have to attend their meetings and / or talk with them over the phone. My ex is in the wrag esa and he has a telephone consultation with them, he's never had to attend a meeting though.
If you feel able, I'd give them a ring. If you don't feel up to attending their meetings explain this. If your not happy with the decision, you can always appeal it - does the leaflet explain that process?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I didn't think they could make a decision like that without you having a medical. :unsure:

To answer your questions..
1 - Yes. They will just send a letter to tell you of their decision.
2 - Yes, you have to go. Unless you phone them and talk to them..
3 - An ESA group session. From my experience, the first session involves going to the meeting. You'll have to fill in a form (usually on the computer) and fill it in, listing your employment and education history, what type of job you want to search for etc. After that, you usually see an adviser on an individual basis - but that might have changed because I was in WRAG a year or two ago.
4 - It's not very clear, is it? I'd say that it means you need to phone them if you can't attend that appointment or any future appointments with the job centre/your adviser.

The thing is, the fact that you have 'been referred for this opportunity' makes me wonder if they're not trying it on a bit. I mean, it's not making it clear that it's mandatory.

I would seriously phone them up and ask them what is required of you.
Also, if you don't feel ready for this, i'd consider appealing the decision.
I don't know what the rules are if you're put in WRAG (rather than refused ESA altogether) but it appealing may mean you're left without any payment at all until yet another decision is made.

T

tbdtdb

Thanx for getting back to me and sorry for the slow response, having a tough month.

I phoned & she was just chancing her arm and it was not mandatory & as for why there was a "welcome to the WRG" leaflet with the letters, well never got to the bottom of that... So I did not go.

She was very keen on a 1:1, which I polity said I would think about and get back to her.

I've thought & no, I've had a previous bad experience of her before when I first tried to contact her via phone. Rang till dropped, rang picked up & put straight down, rang till dropped. Now this letter with only 2 full working days to respond too; with "welcome to the WRG".

Shame, part of my recovery plan was to avail myself of them, to repair my career but I can see they are going to be of no real help.

Putting the last point aside, I got the possible impression that she was saying that if I availed myself of their services now, I could still use them even if I get rejected for ESA. But it hard for me to tell as I have 'comprehension' difficulties when hit with long verbal sentences - I'm just been naive here aren't I?

Last edited: